Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69331 times)

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
Ah i misunderstood what you were meaning.

If you were writing the letter at that moment it would be "Yritän kirjoittaa kirjettä." where kirje transforms  to a "partitiivi" which essentially shows that the object is in middle of some ongoing action.

So for example: Ostan jonkin verran leipää / I'm buying some bread.

Here the base form Leipä transforms to Leipää because it is part of an action. I at least think that's how it goes.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Wow.  I am afraid for the letter I sent!   ;D  Hopefully I won't be judged too badly.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Well, when you are learning new language, stuff like making mistakes and forgetting words/grammar/everything just happens. Moreover, it happens all the time. It is nothing to loose your heart of.
majavanainen

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
Well, when you are learning new language, stuff like making mistakes and forgetting words/grammar/everything just happens. Moreover, it happens all the time. It is nothing to loose your heart of.

Kiitos.  You are right of course.  I have a history of setting goals unreasonably high, then feeling terrible when I don't reach them.  Have to remember that it's most important to keep going, even if I have to take baby steps instead of giant ones.

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
Pyydän apua. Mitä ovat kuuleet merkitsee? En voi löytää kieliopista mitään samannäköistä :(. Ehkä olen tyhmä...
majavanainen

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
Pyydän apua. Mitä ovat kuuleet merkitsee? En voi löytää kieliopista mitään samannäköistä :(. Ehkä olen tyhmä...

Looks like a typo - should it maybe be "ovat kuulleet"? In that form it would mean "they have heard".
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
Yes, you are right. I've missed second "l". And I have remembered at last that it is perfect tense's plural form.
Minä olen varmasti tyhmä. Ja hidas!  :-[
majavanainen

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »
Bobriha: Hahah, etkä ole! :D Se oli vain kirjoitusvirhe.

Spoiler: show
Hahah no you're not! :D It was just a typo.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
But I should know perfect tense already! And yet I didn't recognize it when met it. It's just I constantly tend to forget there are another endings but -nut/-nyt.
majavanainen

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
Bobriha: ei haittaa, sitä sattuu kaikille kieltenopiskelijoille kielestä riippumatta. :)

Spoiler: show
Doesn't matter, it happens to all language learners not depending on the language. :)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »
So for example: Ostan jonkin verran leipää / I'm buying some bread.

Here the base form Leipä transforms to Leipää because it is part of an action. I at least think that's how it goes.

Or because it's an undefined part of a bigger whole. Like "lautasella on puuroa", there's porridge on the plate -> there's an undifined part of a bigger unity of porridge on the plate, compared to "puuro on lautasella", the porridge is on the plate -> it's all the porridge that's been cooked or an otherwise specified amount/sort of porridge.

Finnish: tai koska se on epämääräinen osa isompaa kokonaisuutta. Niin kuin "lautasella on puuroa", there's porridge on the plate -> lauatsella on määrittämätön osa isommasta puurokoknaisuudesta, verrattuna lauseeseen "puuro on lautasella", The porridge is on the plate -> kyseessä on koko keitetty puuroannos tai muuten määritelty puuromäärä/-laji.

It has inspired me with a new plan for studying Finnish.  How to say,
"Honestly, I tried learning some Finnish, but I hurt myself.  Do you speak English?"

"Oikeasti, yritin oppia vähän suomea, mutta satutin itseni. Puhutko englantia?" ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:15:53 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »
Hei Pessi!  Mitä kuuluu?  You haven't been here much lately.

Tytärnija hyväksyttiin laulukurssi.  Ah, I was going to write more in Finnish but it's nearly 3am.  Days need to be about 8 hours longer.

Kuuskytkolme

« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
Tytärnija hyväksyttiin laulukurssi.
Did you mean "Tyttäreni hyväksyttiin laulukurssille"? You should check out how vowel harmony and consonant gradation work in Finnish.

The -ja/jä ending corresponds to the -er/or ending in English, in other words it makes a noun out of a verb (dance -> dancer/tanssia -> tanssija, visit -> visitor/käydä -> kävijä) so I don't know what you were trying to express with it.

---

Tarkoititko "Tyttäreni hyväksyttiin laulukurssille?" Sinun kannattaisi tarkistaa miten vokaalisointu ja astevaihtelu toimivat suomessa.

-ja/jä loppu vastaa englannin -er/-or loppua, toisin sanoen se tekee substantiivista verbin (dance -> dancer/tanssia -> tanssija, visit -> visitor/käydä -> kävijä) joten en tiedä mitä yritit ilmaista sillä.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:27:55 AM by Kuuskytkolme »
Hello, I am number 63 and I love parentheses.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
Did you mean "Tyttäreni hyväksyttiin laulukurssille"?

I'm sure I did.  :-P

You should check out how vowel harmony and consonant gradation work in Finnish.

Yay links!  Kiitos.

The -ja/jä ending corresponds to the -er/or ending in English, in other words it makes a noun out of a verb (dance -> dancer/tanssia -> tanssija, visit -> visitor/käydä -> kävijä) so I don't know what you were trying to express with it.

I... Honestly have no idea where... Oh!  I remember.  When I have my computer I'll try to explain where I got that, it's too hard for me to do stuff on my phone.

Thank you for the feedback.  I need so much help, heh.

---

Tarkoititko "Tyttäreni hyväksyttiin laulukurssille?" Sinun kannattaisi tarkistaa miten vokaalisointu ja astevaihtelu toimivat suomessa.

-ja/jä loppu vastaa englannin -er/-or loppua, toisin sanoen se tekee substantiivista verbin (dance -> dancer/tanssia -> tanssija, visit -> visitor/käydä -> kävijä) joten en tiedä mitä yritit ilmaista sillä.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
Ok, I think I understand where I went wrong with most of that, except "tyttärni".  E before ni after a consonant?  Forgot ä instead of a at end.  I was trying for partitive.  https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish-cases.html  Daughter was the one being accepted, so wouldn't she be the object?  ... oh.  She was accepted, not her was accepted.  Ok then.

I still don't get why the t was doubled in the middle.  It's not even at the end of the word...  *whimpers*  there's so much I don't understand.  Um, I mean, I will go look at those links now, since apparently the page I'm mostly using for a reference is not sufficient for me.