Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2372306 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
Well, it's possible attach it permanently to the floor/any other surface using epoxy glue. If the cat still manages to move it it's likely a demon.
Well that's on the level of "why not make a 'bowl' directly into the floor in the first place" - in that it doesn't lend itself to dishwashing or disinfection easily ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
Well that's on the level of "why not make a 'bowl' directly into the floor in the first place" - in that it doesn't lend itself to dishwashing or disinfection easily ...

My signature begs to differ, this is engineering at its finest.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:07:37 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Logical Psycho

• Not a Grade A cat - but with a hat!
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
You could anchor some bowl-holder to the ground with some locking mechanism for the bowl itself. So that it wouldn't move, but you could still unlock it for sanitary reasons. Whereas your cat could not, because it doesn't have opposable thumbs.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the help guys XD

We did consider the wooden plank (minus the upper layer though) idea last week but dismissed it as too much work.....but now it's becoming more practical an idea with each passing night X)

Glue or inner-floor bowls have crossed our crazed minds too, but the floor is concrete, and we need the front entrance hall tidy and spiffy-looking for *Emil voice* good first impressions upon potentially important visitors ;P

So I think that, until we finally go fully mad, we are going to persevere with the duct tape for a while.....MORE TAPE, MORE!

MANY MANY THANKS :)

(The camera option sounds pretty cute too! Maybe I could.....)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 05:45:37 AM »
So I think that, until we finally go fully mad, we are going to persevere with the duct tape for a while.....MORE TAPE, MORE!
(Pictures cat duct-taped into a Wiku Worm, dangling from the ceiling above the bowl at reaaaly-stretch-your-tongue distance, slowly swaying from chow to drink and back in the evening breeze)

Serious, be careful with the tape. "Glue traps" are somewhat common to catch snakes, and surprisingly often turn out to be lethal for them.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
Serious, be careful with the tape. "Glue traps" are somewhat common to catch snakes, and surprisingly often turn out to be lethal for them.

You needn't worry about snakes, the waterbowl is inside the house, and we've never had snakes in the house looking for water- there are plenty of little water bowls dotted around the garden, and dams and creeks outside the garden, so while snakes (here are the local ones http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=3198) are very common in the upcoming summer, they tend to steer clear of our yard (I don't think they like the hill ;3)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:40:17 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the help guys XD

We did consider the wooden plank (minus the upper layer though) idea last week but dismissed it as too much work.....but now it's becoming more practical an idea with each passing night X)

Glue or inner-floor bowls have crossed our crazed minds too, but the floor is concrete, and we need the front entrance hall tidy and spiffy-looking for *Emil voice* good first impressions upon potentially important visitors ;P

MANY MANY THANKS :)

(The camera option sounds pretty cute too! Maybe I could.....)

OR... (in case more tape doesn't work)

You could always cover the ceramic bowl in something soft and not-noisy. Or buy a plastic one.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how to keep mosquitoes out of my room?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »

You could always cover the ceramic bowl in something soft and not-noisy. Or buy a plastic one.

Find and pick a bundle of myrica gale. The more the better. In fact, a ton might even make your room mosquito proof for a century.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »
Hexcells... Oh man, that game...  It's like Sudoku meets minesweeper.
I spent 2 hours blazing through the first 26 levels, but the last three I just tried took me another 2 hours to do, and I had to stop on the third because I kept hitting the wrong mouse button.  Very challenging little puzzler.

Over here we have these little things that you can hang up with a hook, that has some repellent inside.  I think they're meant for personal use, but if you got a bunch of those and hung them up around your room (maybe by a ceiling fan with some string?), they might do the trick.  Or you could use Fimbulvarg's vastly superior solution.  It's up to you.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
Find and pick a bundle of myrica gale. The more the better. In fact, a ton might even make your room mosquito proof for a century.

I'm quite afraid they don't grow anywhere near my area...
Over here we have these little things that you can hang up with a hook, that has some repellent inside.  I think they're meant for personal use, but if you got a bunch of those and hung them up around your room (maybe by a ceiling fan with some string?), they might do the trick.  Or you could use Fimbulvarg's vastly superior solution.  It's up to you.

I don't really know what are you talking about, but we use something that you put in the... thingy (why is English so difficult?), the one where you connect the charger... Fact is, I don't have any at the moment, I was too lazy to go to the supermarket and tomorrow it's Sunday, so no market. Oops.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
I'm quite afraid they don't grow anywhere near my area...
I don't really know what are you talking about, but we use something that you put in the... thingy (why is English so difficult?), the one where you connect the charger... Fact is, I don't have any at the moment, I was too lazy to go to the supermarket and tomorrow it's Sunday, so no market. Oops.

I'm guessing you're referring to those devices that are inserted into the electricity socket which people in continental Europe use. There are other plants that repel undesirables but myrica is the best. Nothing beats that wall of scent that pretty much slaps you in the face when you stumble upon it. It's truly a gift from the gods for hikers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:19:03 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Nimphy

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm guessing you're referring to those devices that are inserted into the electricity socket which people in continental Europe use. There are other plants that repel undesirables but Myrica is the best. Nothing beats that wall of scent that pretty much slaps you in the face when you stumble upon it. It's truly a gift from the gods for hikers.

Yes, those devices for the electricity socket... they don't even work most of the time, anyway.

Now I'm pretty sure I've never encountered myrica. I've seen a lot of plants, but none have a really strong scent...

On other news, a Finnish friend brought me a pack of sweets from Finland :D Okay, it's common liquorice, but it's fun to read the Finnish in the package (and the fact that Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are all listed as one language XD)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:06:51 PM by Nimphy »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Yes, those devices for the electricity socket... they don't even work most of the time, anyway.

Now I'm pretty sure I've never encountered myrica. I've seen a lot of plants, but none have a really strong scent...

On other news, a Finnish friend brought me a pack of sweets from Finland :D Okay, it's common liquorice, but it's fun to read the Finnish in the package (and the fact that Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are all listed as one language XD)

They usually have a separate section for Swedish and lump Norwegian and Danish together. It's a bit annoying. I'm guessing the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian text you just read is mostly either Swedish or Danish.

On the topic of languages/cultural differences: I was mixing some facade cleaners this morning and decided I'd have a look on the instructions manual for once. It had one section for Norwegian, one for Danish and one for Swedish. In Danish the chemical was called "alkaline cleaning agent". In Swedish it was called "alkaline cleaning agent" as well. In Norwegian it was called "Super strong cleaning agent".

Maybe they figured no one would have any idea what alkaline meant anyways.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:26:59 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
They usually have a separate section for Swedish and lump Norwegian and Danish together. It's a bit annoying. I'm guessing the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian text you just read is mostly either Swedish or Danish.

On the topic of languages/cultural differences: I was mixing some facade cleaners this morning and decided I'd have a look on the instruction manual for once. It had one section for Norwegian, one for Danish and one for Swedish. In Danish the chemical was called "alkaline cleaning agent". in Swedish it was called "alkaline cleaning agent" as well. In Norwegian it was called "Super strong cleaning agent".

The only languages we get on products over here are English, Spanish, and occasionally French.  I think I've seen Italian on a couple of things, here and there, but not very often; it's probably more common in New York where all the people spoke all the languages, back in the day.  Honestly, I'm not even sure why we get French, we don't have many French speaking places outside of Louisiana.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
The only languages we get on products over here are English, Spanish, and occasionally French.  I think I've seen Italian on a couple of things, here and there, but not very often; it's probably more common in New York where all the people spoke all the languages, back in the day.  Honestly, I'm not even sure why we get French, we don't have many French speaking places outside of Louisiana.

On the topic of languages/cultural differences: I was mixing some facade cleaners this morning and decided I'd have a look on the instructions manual for once. It had one section for Norwegian, one for Danish and one for Swedish. In Danish the chemical was called "alkaline cleaning agent". In Swedish it was called "alkaline cleaning agent" as well. In Norwegian it was called "Super strong cleaning agent".

Actually the lumping together thing is new to me. I always find the three separated (or with one missing, usually Norwegian). Yes, I read those things, alright? It's a game. I read them out loud to my father and he gets to guess what it means. He's surprisingly good with Polish and Swedish. 

I have a very vague idea of what alkaline means, but I think "super strong cleaning agent" is the best definition ever!

And Eich: over here there's Italian, English, Swedish, Danish, (occasionally) Norwegian, French, Spanish, Polish, Russian, what I think is Serbian, Chinese, do I need to continue or that's enough?