Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841314 times)

Baku

• Hot Dad Squad
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
I felt like Marie the medic needed an animal companion... so here's her blessed feline, Nastasha!

I'm in the process of working on some art of Marie as well, which I may or may not post as soon as it's done because it's going to be a little gross. Let's just say it involves her having a not-so-great encounter with a troll... entrails becoming extrails and all that (i'm sure she'll be fine with a few organs missing?).
native: :usa: / learning: :germany: / some day: :denmark:
art tumblr/ flight rising/ disqus - :chap6: :chap7:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1261 on: May 10, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
I was also toying with the idea of a modified spear:

In retrospect, one knife would probably be better for maneuvering, making the whole thing into a kinda halberd but the more the better, right? Right?

I want to!
Wow, that looks so cool!
I'll PM you then! :D

OOOOKAY I'M REALLY LATE BUT a little while back, Haiz posted some really adorable draws of the SSSSonas with the hair ze liked to draw the much, and I made a list of my favorite SSSSonas to draw in general and I have been working  on these for days ;_; just consider this as a thank you for making really cute designs although I legitimately love every single one of you guys!

Here's the overview of you lovely people in no particular order.
I'm just gonna echo everyone else, but the colors are sooo pretty!! ;D

Apples trees are gnarly pieces of work.

And I'll trade with ya!
Awesome! I'll send you a PM :)

I felt like Marie the medic needed an animal companion... so here's her blessed feline, Nastasha!

She's gorgeous! *O*

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1262 on: May 10, 2015, 02:05:32 AM »
Daéa! Here's yours! I just finished it and it's 2 AM, time to sleep

(I'm not super happy with it, but I'm never happy with any drawing in which I try to draw wood. And the left arm seems short. Whoops)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1263 on: May 10, 2015, 03:39:52 AM »
Hellooo do you remember when I made inky-wonky headshots of all the current OCs wayyy back on page 13 of this thread?
I may not be able to keep my promise of drawing everyone for all of the future
BUT I CAN STILL TRY

inky-wonky headshots, ROUND 2

I will gladly neglect responsibilities for your sake!
My gosh, my despair when I opened this thread to where I left off and ended up *26* pages behind.  I've been making my way through and coming across such spectacular work by Haiz and Gwenno and Almond Goddess and then I come across this beauty by Haiz, complete w my SSSSona.  I don't know what to say other than Thank You. The talent here is boggling, even more than the productivity!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1264 on: May 10, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »
Just wanted to share some doodles before I started my day irl~

I have a couple doodles that I did while at my sister's soccer game which are totally crap, but have the design idea I had for my self-insert's coat collar/hood, plus the mittens so I wanted to share xP

plus a doodle with a scarf and a badly scribbled cat xD lol

Last but not least! A stylized sketch of my own face (Curry I love you, but for some reason the more I thought about it, the more the (what looked like?) slightly cleft chin and the long face started to bother me, I'm sorry! Dx) its an old image and you can tell I put a little more effort into it than a lot of the other scribbles I've been doing xP

And that's it for a couple hours--time to babysit! o 3o)/

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1265 on: May 10, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
Vafhudr, the headshot I did of you didn't feel quite enough as my part of the art trade (since I'm aiming for drawing everyone regardless of trades), so I explored your magesona a bit more. I don't remember if you chose a spirit animal when that was discussed, but the design on your summer wear looked so much like a raven so that's what you got! Have a sketchdump (drawing in old gnarly trees is my way of chickening out when I've drawn someone half sitting and need something appropriate for them to sit on - rocks didn't work at all)

Koalalou, cool doodles! That gear looks really warm and comfy, I especially like that you've put in details like the maple leaf.
Baku: I want to pet that cat, she looks so floofy!
Curry: Seeing all those beautifully drawn, expressive and nicely colored drawings makes me so envious of your skills is really inspiring.
Piney: Wow, is she making this necklace? She looks really absorbed, great work!
Tabea: I'm glad you liked it :)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1266 on: May 10, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Mélusine I read your story and really liked it! It is well written and that's an impressive feat if English isn't a language you're comfortable in, but mostly I just like the story itself and now I kinda want to know what happens next!
*Blush* I'm... I'm happy you liked it :) And I had perfect beta-readers who corrected my mistakes.
What... what happens next ? I might have a few ideas...
Well, I'm sure drawing is a best thing to share here, I mean easier to share and be seen than something written, but ending like that I was thinking "Ok, people have created so much and so interesting, now the next step could be putting them - the characters - into something..." Interactions. Could be fun. Maybe.

To all of you : sorry, I don't comment everything because there is to much to admire, but you're talented and I'm always happy to see new draws :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1267 on: May 10, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
Vafhudr, the headshot I did of you didn't feel quite enough as my part of the art trade (since I'm aiming for drawing everyone regardless of trades), so I explored your magesona a bit more. I don't remember if you chose a spirit animal when that was discussed, but the design on your summer wear looked so much like a raven so that's what you got! Have a sketchdump (drawing in old gnarly trees is my way of chickening out when I've drawn someone half sitting and need something appropriate for them to sit on - rocks didn't work at all)

Koalalou, cool doodles! That gear looks really warm and comfy, I especially like that you've put in details like the maple leaf.
Baku: I want to pet that cat, she looks so floofy!
Curry: Seeing all those beautifully drawn, expressive and nicely colored drawings makes me so envious of your skills is really inspiring.
Tabea: I'm glad you liked it :)
eeeeeee!

I love it!

And okay. Spirit animal wise. In the early design stage I went for the raven - for the following reasons.

So. Vafhudr. There is actually a bit of history behind that name. When I was a youngster, one of the first computer games I played was Age of Mythology - and little Vaf found it hella baller. It still holds up, actually. Anyway. It had a very detailed section that would explain to you the various gods and mythological creatures in the game and I spent a lot of time reading that. I especially liked Odin and Loki, and in the Odin section there was details on the many names the god had.

One of those names was Váfuðr, translated as wanderer. 11 year old me found that really cool, especially so after having moved very far away and being in a place where I did not really fit much. I updated it to Vafhudr because the accents and foreign letters are hell for my keyboard. That became my online name ever since and I have grown very fond of it since then. It's very much my trademark, moreso that I found much of interest in Odin and his stories. His association with oracles, magic, fury, war, poetry and writing, as well as quest to prevent the end of an age are very appealing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_of_Odin

Anyway.

So. In shaping my persona for this I went with that - the persona I already kind of had online anyway. Ravens are very intelligent birds, especially the ones in the places where I grew up. They are a symbol of intelligence, of cunning and of speech - flattering stuff, plus the additional link to Huggin and Muggin. The owl is something my friends joke about, as I tend to be the intellectuel de service. Owls are rad as well, so I am okay with either or both. I veered toward ravens because I could find more about ravens in norse mythology and the mythology of the cultures where I grew up. The owl, though, largely embodies the same quality - with usually more emphasis on wisdom. The owl also loses the trickster disposition the raven has in some folklores.   

ANYWAY. Since Icelandic mages receive direct intimations from the gods (or so they pretend), I thought it would make sense to make a mage of Odin, since I presume that it is the source of much their power. Hence the spear. Hence the ravens. Hence the little glyph on my mage cape, which is based on an old drawing of Odin. Plus, the spear becomes a pun - it's a staff to conjure staves. And stab things.

But the more I looked into the matter - and the more we got to learn about the mechanisms of magic, I found more interest and affinity with Finnish magic. Plus, after doing research I discovered that Icelanders have a registry of names - and the one I made up was very much absent from it. So, about that point, I decided to flip around and make him Finnish. Voitto Seppanen is based on my real name through Finnish approximations - words that kind of mean the same thing but not. They convey the same sense without being the same words. Being Finnish would also give me an excuse to have in-char the theories I developed about the silent world anyway, as they are very finnish-mythology centric.

So there.

All that to say that your observations were correct. The owl-stuff emerged from a conversation with Dancing Ranger, which occurred after the initial sketches.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #1268 on: May 10, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »

Thank you!  I don't know what she's making. Something weird and complicated, probably some kind of machine.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #1269 on: May 10, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
BOOM! Surprise gift for Haiz and Curry.
I wanted to draw you two with me, I don't know why hehe. I'm sure all is wrong, I just came 2 hours ago from a lake like... 50 Km away from my house, maybe? Well it was so hard to walk through the sand arround it and I'm tired as heck 7-7 (I'll show images later)
Anyways, I hope you 2 like it!
I was going to draw more... But maybe tomorrow, I need to study AGAIN for tomorrow, hopefully, this exam is about maths AND last one! Woohoo!
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1270 on: May 10, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Fim: perfect karri edit is perfect

Baku: WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FLOOF FREND

Piney: your art trades are super cool and I'm gonna. I'm gonna pm you for one. at some point in the future. i said i had open shop for art trades but i shouldn't have so. it will have to wait a few weeks. you probably have enough art trades as is ahahaha

wavewright: oh gosh I'm glad you like it so much!!!

koalalou: aw yiss outfit details!!! especially since you've got a different uniform type than all the uniformed nordics around here O: the cat scribble is adorablee

Red Cloud: ahahah wow thank you!!! DON'T WORRY WE'LL PROTECT YOU FROM THE SCARY CAT-TANK. good luck on the Last Exam~

AS FOR ME
as much as I enjoy macing trolls in a rather unconventional manner, It's time to... ahem... reclaim my Coolness, assuming I ever had any.

First of all, I spent my day looking like this

so if I ever seem too enthusiastic about being in-character.... it's because I literally am my character.

so here's me my magesona being Not Completely Useless

and spending all that time surrounded by people with both prettier and more authentic viking outfits than me, I felt very inspired to draw some alternative outfits, like so:

1) how Haiz looks whenever ze no longer needs to look Presentable -  pouch belt; jewellery; overdress/tunic thing; leg wrappings; sleeve strings; and if no longer needed, even the shoes and glasses - all of it goes off, leaving hir in the shirt and poofy pants that slide down to the ankles. Honestly, as much as ze likes to wear cool and interesting outfits, this is how you'll find hir 60% of the time. wearing stuff is exhausting.

(Haiz is capable of waking up pretty early in the morning, but there is no point in talking to hir before the glasses are on. Putting on glasses is in the final phase of the Waking Up routine.)

2) Pretty dress!! Formal wear for Formal Events.

3) Warrior-y outfit. The sword is only for show and confidence boost. The clothes ze wears when visiting hir family in Norway, probably.

Also, my Normal Outfit is supposed to be a mix of a feminine and a masculine viking outfit. The tunic part + the jewellery is taken from dresses, and poofy pants + leg wrappings from warrior outfits I've observed. I own both fancy brooches and poofy pants irl, so I'm being True To Myself here, haha.

The blue coat I have yoinked from the SSSS infopage on mages. I'm pretending it's hir ~*Official Mage Cape*~ or something. Maybe one day I'll manage to draw it a little more interesting, or even *gasps* decide on what shade of blue I want it to be. For now, let's say it's.... made of magically shimmering wool or something.

(I also really want to draw myself my magesona in hir dreamworld outfit, except I have no idea what would be accurate attire for a mage such as me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:36:47 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1271 on: May 10, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »

so if I ever seem too enthusiastic about being in-character.... it's because I literally am my character.
:D (Not very constructive, I know, just enthusiastic with the fact of how thin the frontier between a real you and a personal character could be.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #1272 on: May 10, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
Fim: perfect karri edit is perfect

Baku: WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FLOOF FREND

Piney: your art trades are super cool and I'm gonna. I'm gonna pm you for one. at some point in the future. i said i had open shop for art trades but i shouldn't have so. it will have to wait a few weeks. you probably have enough art trades as is ahahaha

wavewright: oh gosh I'm glad you like it so much!!!

koalalou: aw yiss outfit details!!! especially since you've got a different uniform type than all the uniformed nordics around here O: the cat scribble is adorablee

Red Cloud: ahahah wow thank you!!! DON'T WORRY WE'LL PROTECT YOU FROM THE SCARY CAT-TANK. good luck on the Last Exam~

AS FOR ME
as much as I enjoy macing trolls in a rather unconventional manner, It's time to... ahem... reclaim my Coolness, assuming I ever had any.

so here's me my magesona being Not Completely Useless

and spending all that time surrounded by people with both prettier and more authentic viking outfits than me, I felt very inspired to draw some alternative outfits, like so:

1) how Haiz looks whenever ze no longer needs to look Presentable -  pouch belt; jewellery; overdress/tunic thing; leg wrappings; sleeve strings; and if no longer needed, even the shoes and glasses - all of it goes off, leaving hir in the shirt and poofy pants that slide down to the ankles. Honestly, as much as ze likes to wear cool and interesting outfits, this is how you'll find hir 60% of the time. wearing stuff is exhausting.

(Haiz is capable of waking up pretty early in the morning, but there is no point in talking to hir before the glasses are on. Putting on glasses is in the final phase of the Waking Up routine.)

2) Pretty dress!! Formal wear for Formal Events.

3) Warrior-y outfit. The sword is only for show and confidence boost. The clothes ze wears when visiting hir family in Norway, probably.

Also, my Normal Outfit is supposed to be a mix of a feminine and a masculine viking outfit. The tunic part + the jewellery is taken from dresses, and poofy pants + leg wrappings from warrior outfits I've observed. I own both fancy brooches and poofy pants irl, so I'm being True To Myself here, haha.

The blue coat I have yoinked from the SSSS infopage on mages. I'm pretending it's hir ~*Official Mage Cape*~ or something. Maybe one day I'll manage to draw it a little more interesting, or even *gasps* decide on what shade of blue I want it to be. For now, let's say it's.... made of magically shimmering wool or something.

(I also really want to draw myself my magesona in hir dreamworld outfit, except I have no idea what would be accurate attire for a mage such as me.

Hehe you're welcome! Also, THANKS FOR PROTECT ME FROM THE CATTANK XD
Btw, 2 things:
1. I love the drawings tho!
2. WHA- THOSE ARE VIKING STUFF?! WHY I CAN'T BE THERE WITH YOU ;_; You don't know how much I love that kind of things! I mean, today I was fangirling over a museum of dinosaurs and ancient things, imagine if I was in there!
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1273 on: May 10, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
:D (Not very constructive, I know, just enthusiastic with the fact of how thin the frontier between a real you and a personal character could be.)
ahah thanks, I made my magesona before this thread was a thing - I never intended to make an OC 'based on myself', i just put myself in the year 90 SSSS-verse and try to keep it as close to my real self/life as possible. it's a good excuse to draw fanart of my vain self

1. I love the drawings tho!
2. WHA- THOSE ARE VIKING STUFF?! WHY I CAN'T BE THERE WITH YOU ;_;
1. thank you!!
2. because you live in spain and didn't travel all the way here for this three hour event
(also dinosaurs and old stuff is awesome)
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1274 on: May 10, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
I-I don't know what happened. I had reached S on the infodump, and I was gonna try some fwooshy hair. And then just:
Spoiler: show

All right, that's bedtime. I'll try to do something more appropriate tomoroow. (I'm guessing Sara would be kinda pleased with new colors, but maybe she has a job interview for archive work in the new university?)

She/I would in fact like the new hair colors!  But yeah, I think for the university job interview we'll be wrapping that opalescent range of mage-tones in a nice headscarf.  8)   

(I have no idea what range of looks/fashions the Known World admits, or how dressed-up it expects you to look.  Things have loosened up considerably, at least in Silicon Valley, since the late '80s, when I was first interviewing for jobs IRL.  You kiddies have no idea how restrictive dress standards used to be -- no more than one piercing -- in the earlobes, where else?, no tattoos, no colors on your hair that aren't found in nature, suit-and-tie or feminine equivalent.  Nowadays, it's still a good idea to look neat, clean, professional, and well-organized, but there are a lot more ways to do that.)

Also, you make me look considerably more sleek and impressive than I am IRL.  I actually have round little doll-like features with practically no cheekbones visible and a small, pointy, Tuuri-like nose.  I wish I could look as elegant as that portrait!   :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:31:56 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: