Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404711 times)

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2460 on: January 08, 2021, 11:38:22 PM »
That looks awesome, Purple Wyrm! I’m always so bad at finding those tiny references, especially if I’m not really familiar with the content, but I like your idea!  ;D
I see what you did there! ;D
Hehe, some playing with the words here!  :'D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2461 on: January 09, 2021, 06:47:15 AM »
Also, has anyone spotted the sneaky SSSS reference I snuck in?
Any chance you accidentally snuck in several?
Spoiler: show

I realize that you're thinking of "Mostbest" and "Lessbest", and count them as a single one, but I also see "Mandrenke" and immediately think of the  Grote Mandränke, the Frisian/Saxon term for the worst historical storm flood(s*) in the North Sea.
(*) Depending on your sources, there may be between one and three of them on record.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2462 on: January 09, 2021, 11:15:47 AM »
Wyrm, that's great! I don't know much about the subject, but I presume that it will serve as a board map, right? It's very well done, really impressive, and I guess JoB already gave the right answer.

Is "Abrolhos" a reference to the little archipelago near Brazil's coast? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrolhos_Archipelago

Oh, and I also loved to learn about the dog saint! One more amazing thing that I discovered here :)

Moredhel, your bird is excellent! I believe I saw this kind of long tail in some mythological bird, but can't recall where... 

I prefer to do my pencils with a knife (usually a cutter) because it allows to create an asymmetric tip. But it takes much more time, and sometimes the tip breaks :( and I have to go back to the beginning... 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:23:43 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2463 on: January 09, 2021, 11:55:50 AM »

I prefer to do my pencils with a knife (usually a cutter) because it allows to create an asymmetric tip. But it takes much more time, and sometimes the tip breaks :( and I have to go back to the beginning...
Yeah, that’s what happens to me too way too many times when I need to sharpen a pencil, but I really like the advantage of shaping the pencil the way I feel most comfortable  ;D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2464 on: January 09, 2021, 03:25:58 PM »
Purple Wyrm, all your WH40k art here is awesome! I don’t know much of the lore, but I do know your visuals are spot on! My family plays, or would occasionally play if the play area wouldn’t be so huge.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2465 on: January 09, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
I believe I saw this kind of long tail in some mythological bird, but can't recall where... 

May have been a 鳳凰 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenghuang but they are very colorful. So it does not fit my bird.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #2466 on: January 09, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
May have been a 鳳凰 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenghuang but they are very colorful. So it does not fit my bird.

I wasn't thinking much about colour, but general configuration, particularly the tail. I didn't found exactly what I wanted (some medieval tapestry, I believe) but here's one reference (see the upper bird)

It's a drawing by Albertus Seba (1665 - 1736), a German Artist showing a bird-of-paradise (cicinnurus regius). They have this peculiar tail and sometimes artists exaggerated it. Notice how the wings also resemble your drawing.

And now I noticed that Róisín already pointed that similarity :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:08:54 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2467 on: January 09, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
That looks awesome, Purple Wyrm! I’m always so bad at finding those tiny references, especially if I’m not really familiar with the content, but I like your idea!

Thank you!

I realize that you're thinking of "Mostbest" and "Lessbest", and count them as a single one, but I also see "Mandrenke" and immediately think of the  Grote Mandränke, the Frisian/Saxon term for the worst historical storm flood(s*) in the North Sea.
(*) Depending on your sources, there may be between one and three of them on record.

Nicely spotted JoB! Mandrenke is indeed a reference to the flood (or floods). I wanted to name one of the planets after a historical town lost to the sea and vaguely remembered the story of one built on a sandbar on England's North Sea coast. So I looked it up and found it was called Ravenser Odd, which is great because I was going for a bit of a Scandinavian feel and Ravenser comes from the Old Norse Hrafn's Eyr "Raven's Tongue".

The Wikipedia page mentions the town's final destruction in the Grote Mandränke, and I found "Mandränke" such an evocative word that I decided to include it as well!

And yes, the specific SSSS reference was "Mostbest" :)

Wyrm, that's great! I don't know much about the subject, but I presume that it will serve as a board map, right? It's very well done, really impressive, and I guess JoB already gave the right answer.

Is "Abrolhos" a reference to the little archipelago near Brazil's coast? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrolhos_Archipelago

Oh, and I also loved to learn about the dog saint! One more amazing thing that I discovered here :)

I'm a big fan of the dog saint and folk saints in general, I'm fascinated by how religions drift off in their own directions when the authorities aren't watching :)

Abrolhos is actually a reference to the archipelago off the Western Australian coast, and is one of several Western Australian references hidden in the map. I didn't realise there was another Abrolhos out there, but it since it basically means "look out or you'll get wrecked" it makes sense!

The map is basically world building for my own satisfaction :)

Purple Wyrm, all your WH40k art here is awesome! I don’t know much of the lore, but I do know your visuals are spot on! My family plays, or would occasionally play if the play area wouldn’t be so huge.

Thank you! I love the 40k aesthetic so was trying really hard to imitate the combination of sci-fi and gothic.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2468 on: January 10, 2021, 06:18:22 AM »
There are no bad reasons for worldbuilding! And thank you for the infos on how you make these! I´ve never heard of vector drawing before. Looks like I need to look into that...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #2469 on: January 10, 2021, 08:04:54 AM »
It's a good idea Mirasol.

Vector drawings are made with objects (such as lines, arcs and circles) that are defined by coordinates and functions. Many softwares use that, like Corel Draw, Inkscape or more specialized things like CAD software (AutoCAD, Revit, etc...). But when we create a line or a circle in a word processor (Microsoft Word) or in a presentation software (Powerpoint) we are also creating a vectorial object. So you probably already did that many times. :)

By opposition our hand-made drawings aren't defined by any numbers or functions. When you draw a line it's "more or less" straight, depending of your ability, and a circle is approximately round, but as you know well it's not perfect. 

So in a vectorial drawing a line will be a vector between two coordinates (x and y, and z if you want to go tridimensional), let's say a line from point 1,1 to point 3,4.

That line will be absolutely straight (because you said that you want a line) and, more important, it will remain the same whatever the scale you look at it.

If you want a circle in the end of the that line you can say: Circle with center on point 3,4 and radius of 2. That circle will be a perfect circle.

Vectorial objects also allow us to modify them (move, scale, rotate) without loosing anything in their nature, which is great. And you can also copy them as much as you want.

Purple Wyrm circles are, I'm quite sure, all the same size, with the same border width. And the lines that connect them are all similar too.

So vectorial is great for a lot of things. The only "setback" is that when you draw freely you don't have to be defining everything, the drawing just flows. It's not perfect but most times its much more expressive and natural.

I hope I helped!  :reynir:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2470 on: January 10, 2021, 09:00:33 AM »
I had wondered where the French dog saint came from. Interesting that it is related to the Welsh Gelert tale, which I know and tell.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2471 on: January 10, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »
I hope I helped!  :reynir:

You sure have, thank you! :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2472 on: January 10, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »
I had wondered where the French dog saint came from. Interesting that it is related to the Welsh Gelert tale, which I know and tell.

And what's amazing is that the oldest known version of the story comes from India, and is about a faithful mongoose!

Great rundown of vector graphics there Grey. The big advantage from my point of view is the scalability. Because everything's defined mathematically you can enlarge and shrink the image as much as you like without affecting the quality at all. Also because every bit of the image is an independent object it's really easy to move things around and adjust them to get them looking just how you like.

The downside - as mentioned - is that it's a more clinical and less 'artistic' process. I get around this when necessary by doing all the layout in a vector program, exporting a raster (non-vector) image and playing around with that in Photoshop.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2473 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
Alright! Now I got new colored pencils too and I had to try them right after I unpacked them from the mailing envelope  :'D
Here is my drawing: Warning! Kissing content! (only kissing, they are dressed and look normal):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_txiANfE_Aawn-KhO
Same characters from my own writing, as I posted before. Nicklis and his wife Dina.

(I wasn’t sure if this should be posted under a warning or no, but I figured it would do no harm, better than not doing a warning and getting in trouble  ;))

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2474 on: January 13, 2021, 03:24:55 AM »
Not a single blessed straight line to be had in this bunch (although I thank grey for that explanation!).  I visited a cat cafe again today.  Trying to get grooming studies is hard, but have some resting kitties for your day:

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior