Author Topic: Forum Advent Calendar 2022  (Read 6908 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Forum Advent Calendar 2022
« on: December 01, 2022, 12:02:01 AM »
The Forum Advent Calendar 2022
8oo10o 3oo1oo6oo20o
14o9o17o22o 4oo11oo
21o19o2oo13o24o15o
5oo12o16o7o23o18o

It has become an annual tradition here on the Forum to construct an Advent Calendar of fanworks in various media, originally based on Minna Sundberg's webcomics, but now an overall celebration of what we as a community love.
Each day from 1 through 24 December, a fanwork treat will be added to this thread, with the grid above becoming live with links to the post as the month progresses.  Many of our finest artists and writers are preparing works for our delight, with many focusing on a festive theme.  We will also be featuring some classics from calendars past.
The (general) target time to reveal each new work will be in the wee hours of Official Fan Forum time.

:squirrelcookie: :sigrun: :mikkel: :reynir: :emil: :tuuri: :lalli: :onni:  :squirrelcookie:

Oh, what the hey, let's throw some snow for you Northern Hemisphere folks to get in the mood!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 01:09:26 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
Re: Forum Advent Calendar 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 12:43:15 AM »
Spoiler: open the door • show

And here we are once again, are you ready?  Your humble mod wavewright62 is here to kick off this year's Advent Calendar.
Spoiler: taking a bow • show

Here are the Victorious Players from Jitter's opera AU** taking a bow after that production that did not look like it was going to ever reach the stage!

**Edit: found linkeeeees!  These were part of Jitter's YoinkTober 2021 contributions! 
The setting and characters are introduced here.
Story continues
whew
Glow Up
Reviews

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:09:26 AM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 06:48:15 AM »
Wow, that's quite a beginning for our Calendar, dear Wave!  :headbang:
I love the blue hue, <3 and the look on their faces!

(BTW I don't recall reading that story, and I'd love to. Will be waiting for that link too)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

dmeck7755

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 07:44:45 AM »
Wave,
Great beginning.  It looks almost like Shakespeare's Midsomer's night's dream

Which would be fitting, as I believe you live in the Southern Hemisphere

Bravo!  Great Start!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 07:48:14 AM »
Oh, wow! From the couple of live theatre performances I've been to, I think this artwork really captures the end-of-show feeling. I also haven't read this AU so if you send the link I'm also looking forwards to give it a try.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 02:14:43 PM »
(wait it´s December? OH, it´s December! This has implications! Advent Calendars!)

Eee, I remember this AU! :D I don´t have the link to it either though...
The colors and lights of your drawing are so pretty!  :sparkle: And I agree, you perfectly captured the mood (though most performances I´ve ever been a part of ended on an a bit more chaotic note. We always ran out of time to practice the bow so it was usually pretty much improvised... xD So kudos to our heroes to manage!)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

angsttronaut

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »
Great way to kick things off! I love the blue tone, it looks great.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »
I went looking for the story - I know I've read it, and laughed hysterically - but I ran out of time!

So I'll just applaud the delightfully-rendered characters, and the effect of the blue lighting, and wait for a story link to appear!

Many thanks for this lively start, Wave!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 01:20:50 AM »
I found the links and have put those next to the picture.  I didn't get some of the details right, but close enough, I reckon.  Thanks again Jitter for the lovely comic story!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 01:34:34 AM »
Spoiler: open the door • show

Today we are blessed with a story by JoB!  JoB's stories are always like Advent Calendars themsleves - you must open the doors (links) and see what he's put behind the story!  See for yourself..
Spoiler: how hunger saved christmas • show

How Hunger Saved Christmas

Spoiler - Yes, seriously: show

"Ha! There she is! I said that we will make it in time, didn't I?"

"I'm glad I have a sound sleep, captain, so I don't have to find out whether you repeat that every half-hour through the night as well! Still, your enthusiasm is appreciated - thanks."

"All part of the service for our Northern crew members, Barbro!" Apart from a bit of bluster, the captain's words were entirely serious. People living way up North were rather rare among the ranks of the cleansers, for entirely practical reasons: the further South their campaigns took place, the later into the year phase 2 would extend; but the further North someone's home is, the sooner the means of traveling back there shut down for winter.

A couple times, of course the first time right during basic training, Barbro got stranded in the South, having to spend a good part of the salary for some cheap lodging and hope for better luck in the next autumn. The situation got better with actual field campaigns, of course - as soon as the CO would have a personal problem with troops refusing to renew their contracts. In this particular case, the captain even had taken Barbro to Skutskär on horseback to get aboard the Pingvinen in time, while the rest of the company was heading straight to the train line on foot, most of the equipment on their backs. I guess they're busy organising a betting pool as they march, Barbro thought, on how many trains will "miss" them trying to flag it down. It's as if the conductors don't really like stopping their trains in the Silent World, cleared and fenced area around the tracks or not!

They had arrived at Skutskär with hardly a minute to spare, though. The ship's crew was already busying to cast off as they rode onto the jetty, and by the time the captain got back into the saddle and went to return to his men, Barbro had to stand at the stern and wave across a fast-widening stretch of water. While what seemed to be the ship's freshman was going on and on about how all passengers (and that means you) are required to be shut in below deck before the ship moves as much as a hand span to sea.

"A cleanser, eh? And yet livin' up in, what, Skellefteå?", another sailor droned at them as he watched Barbro and the freshman finally enter the cabin. "Trundön, actually. I'll get off at Luleå, it's closer."

"No mind to move closer to work? Granted, I'm one to talk, with my workplace travelin' home with me ..."

"Married to another local, with large, firmly rooted families on both sides, I'm afraid."

"Yeah, that be quite the anchor ta hold one in place, I guess ..."

Quite firmly so, sailor, Barbro thought while stowing what little personal luggage cleansers had on a field trip. As if Algot alone wasn't enough of a reason. Have a nice fire going for my arrival, love. I'm on my way home!

To be continued...

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 01:38:08 AM »
Ooh *blush* how lovely! Thank you so much, Wave! I and the company are thrilled and honored! (Just don’t expect them to admit it, except for Rowan).

They first put up a show in last year’s YoinkTober, on 2.10.2021 when there was a Change of Season. Further on they did a number on the 9th (just a tweak), 23rd (right in front of your nose), 27th (glow up), and 29th (judgement). See the entire YoinkTober 2021 here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1262.0 There’s loads of great stuff, Wave’s, Mirasol and Opaque’s wonderful art (including the  :sparkle:blanket fort :sparkle:), Grey’s Adventure of Fire and Ice begins etc.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 02:26:36 AM »
Ooh, JoB, I'm looking forwards to seeing what happens next in your story! I love the insights into everyday SSSS life you're giving us.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 05:47:53 AM »
JoB, that looks like a great location for a settlement. Like Keep, I’m intrigued to have you n board!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 08:45:15 AM »
Job,

Thank you.  The start makes me want more.  So I will be watching for more entries!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

angsttronaut

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 10:51:31 AM »
Interesting story JoB, very interested to see where it goes!