Author Topic: Forum Advent Calendar 2022  (Read 7982 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Forum Advent Calendar 2022
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2022, 04:03:13 PM »
Yukon Cornelius....?!!  (One of the better, nuttier, utterly bat-*** plots to stretch a 2-minute song into a 40-minute special.)
I told you I keep finding new details every time!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 02:34:58 AM »
Spoiler: open the door • show

A story?  A story!  Jitter gladly obliges.

Spoiler: seemed like a good idea as these things often do • show

(mod's note: remember these giddy players?  They're ba-a-ack!)

There was nothing to it. They were running out of money. They had decent crowds at the shows, but all prices were racing up. The electricity bill alone was enough to make her woozy. Of course, there was never enough money. It’s like a theatre troupe was a badly oiled machine bleeding money into every direction! But this was way serious. At this rate, they wouldn’t even make the rent in December. So, Ms Victoria called her trusted advisors, and they started devising a plan.

“So. Here’s the deal.” Victoria addressed the whole troop. “We need more money. And I have this brilliant idea how we will do it! We’ll put up a Christmas show!”

“A new show? In the middle of season?”

“Bah! Humbug! We can’t do two shows.”

There was general grumbling among the staff.

“No, no, listen to me. Either you come up with huge savings, which in effect would be your pay, or we ARE doing a Christmas show. But I don’t mean an actual new play. We’ll just sing Christmas songs everyone already knows! The audience loves your singing, you know that.”

“Just Christmas songs? So, it’s more like a concert?” Owen asked.

“Yes! Exactly. Just like a concert!” she reassured him. “Except you’ll be in costume.”

“Costume? From our current play?”

(“We certainly can’t afford any new costumes,”  Emile interjected.)

“Mmm, not quite. We were thinking that you Owen would be Santa.”

“Santa? As in 'old guy in a red jacket and white beard'?”

“Yes… and a nice chair where the children can tell you what they want for Christmas.”

“Absolutely not!” Owen looked horrified.

“Well, you have the voice for it, and the build, at least in comparison with these two,” she was pointing at Owen’s stick-thin cousin Lawrence, and the lanky and tall Rowan.

“I. Don’t. Do. Children.”

“This”, Michael commented with a smirk, “will be considered a good thing. Even a prerequisite for the role, I should think.”

Owen sputtered. “I didn’t mean that I don’t… I am not… You know what I mean! I won’t do it!”

“As for you, Lawrence…”

“No.”

“Come on, you don’t even know what I was going to suggest!”

“I know it would be something stupid. Or weird. So, no.”

“How about being an elf?”

“Elves are stupid.”

“A reindeer? You know, like Rudolf?”

“Reindeers are weird. Especially if they have a shiny nose.”

“You do realize everyone has to pitch in? There must be something you can agree to?” Lucky was trying to coax Lawrence to cooperate.

“Hmm… I can be a tree.”

“You can be a… tree? Um, how’s that…” Lucky was confused.

“There are songs about Christmas trees! It will work fine!” Victoria was determined to make this work, and if Lawrence Hotchingson singing Christmas songs required him appearing as a tree, then so be it.

“So, you’ll be a Christmas tree,” Lucky concluded.

“Hmph. OK. You can put some ornaments on me. But nothing weird!”

“Oh yes, some lovely ornaments,” Emile hummed dreamily, “and candles!”

“Not live candles, Emile. We don’t want to burn him. Or the building.”

After some back and forth, it was agreed that Michael would play Santa in the wishing chair, and everyone made him promise that he would NOT sing. Owen had agreed to be a reindeer, and Lawrence was the tree. This left them with a problem. Rowan would make a wonderful and extremely helpful elf but there was only one of him.

“We really should have at least three elves! Santa and his elf, that just doesn’t work!”

“Um, perhaps I can help?,” Emile offered.

“Yes, you actually can. But even then, we have only two!”

“No, I was thinking… I have three young cousins who love attention. And Lawrence and Owen’s singing. So, maybe I could ask if they would agree to play the elves?”

“We don’t have any money to pay extras.”

“I think I might be able to get them to come for free. They often beg me to take them along when I go to work. The glittering world of the stage and all!”

“Oh, brilliant! That’s a deal then. Can you ask them to bring their own elf costumes?”.

Jitter's note: And here the curtain closes on the Victorious Company and we leave them with their preparations. It will certainly be a magnificent show! After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Heh. What indeed?  Follow this story with Act 2! and Act 3 - Finale

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 05:16:24 PM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2022, 07:47:57 AM »
With the three cousins, who know what disaster will ensue  lol!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 12:26:24 PM »
With the three cousins, who know what disaster will ensue  lol!!

With any luck, we'll find out! This story has all the opportunities for glorious mayhem!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 02:03:29 PM »
It will be a Christmas song concert in costume. I thought we already established that? It’s so easy peasy there is no way this could backfire!

Even the heh at the end is Wave’s, not mine! I specifically wrote that nothing can go wrong!

Thank you for the comments :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2022, 01:03:02 AM »

When last we saw JoB's protagonist Barbro, the cleanser had barely manged to catch a ship heading north before winter closed in.  Don't forget to follow JoB's links!
Spoiler: how hunger saved christmas pt 2 • show

"You're on your way where!?"

"Röyttä, to be precise. The Northernmost, still usable, and easy to secure port of the Baltic Sea the scouts could indicate. And quite close to the ironworks in Luleå. No better place to get the project going."

"You're going to have yourselves snowed in for the entire winter to work on enacting one of those Hangarfartyg fairytales?"

"'Fairytales'? Barbro, we have eyewitness reports that some of those vessels carried their crews to safety as the Rash hit!"

"To sea, you mean; nobody knows whether any of them ever made it to a safe place, much less where that may be. And building that large a ship ... there's a reason why most of the shipwrights of today are Norwegians, and stick to repurposing what hulls they can get! Not even Luleå has that much fresh steel to spare!"

"Which is why it'll be built only partly from steel."

"None of these giants was ever built with timber, Algot!"

"Nor will it be wooden. Don't worry about that, Barbro, Habakkuken is a design that we took straight from the ancients' drawing boards."

"So that's the particular variant of disaster they picked to have come true? You are aware that even the ancients never actually built it, yes?"

"Apart from one scale model, yes," Algot replied - with a lot less embarrassment than Barbro had hoped for. "Look, we have records on why they stopped the project back then: Reason one, they were able to leverage even more advanced technology to serve their need, and number two, they were at war and found themselves strapped for some resources, in particular, woodpulp - and cold. Guess who's in exactly the opposite situation in those regards?"

"They way you phrased that, the Finns, I'd say," Barbro snapped. As quick as the words were out, a wave of regret surged, but Algot apparently hadn't even noticed the barb.

"Heheh, maybe, if only they'd have more of an interest in technology. But as it stands, with the Norwegians salvaging ships, the Danes repurposing oil rigs, and the Icelanders being outright opposed to the fortes of the ancients, it's up to us Swedes to come up with actual development, like with our railroads!"

"The trains, yes, a telling example. There had to be a Hjorten disaster for us to wake up and smell the chicory, too."

"Barbro, I signed up to join the team building the prototype, not to actually sail her anywhere, much less out into the unknown. I'll be away from here for just one winter!"

And what would you know about how 'just one winter' stranded out in the nowhere feels? All I wanted for us this winter is to spend it together ...

To be continued...

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2022, 06:59:25 AM »
I am flabbergasted.  Both with JoB’s (oft-praised) ability for finding these things, but also for the Habakkuk project itself. I’m going to have to agree with the Mythbusters’ verdict :)

But, on the SSSS setting, it has some pros. Just a couple of cons too.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2022, 08:01:01 AM »
Job,
Exciting times. 
Spoiler: show

When I initially looked at Habakkuk, I said cool air craft carriers.  Jitter's comment brought something different and Habakkuk project is something different.  I remember vaguely seeing something on television about it, but cannot remember.

Good job, Job (ha ha) I cannot wait for the next installment.  I also love following your links.  They always lead me to something cool.  (Sometimes a rathole also :) )

-Frank Zappa

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »
I am flabbergasted.  Both with JoB’s (oft-praised) ability for finding these things, but also for the Habakkuk project itself.
How I found that one is quite easily explained: I watched a quiz show and one of the questions that came up was something like "what did the British gvt attempt to do in year 194x", the correct (per their reckoning) answer (out of three presented) being "build an aircraft carrier from ice(!) blocks". Took me a couple hours of mulling that one over to realize how irresistible the SSSSwedes would find the idea, even, but here we are. :D

(Speaking of "British", I watched a bit of a soccer WC match on TV and noticed that the German commenter repeatedly referred to Englands team as "die Briten". Unfortunately, they were playing against Wales ... ;D )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2022, 02:28:03 PM »
Dmeck, I beg to differ. The Habakkuk is literally a cool aircraft carrier!

dmeck7755

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
Dmeck, I beg to differ. The Habakkuk is literally a cool aircraft carrier!

lol.  Indeed it does!!

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2022, 02:51:46 AM »

It's always nice, at any time of the year but especially around festive times, to get together with like-minded people.  Your humble mod wavewright62 puts her elbows on the table to bring today's treat to you.

Spoiler: kaffeeklatsch • show

Three fandoms, three coffee drinkers, none of whom have the slightest problem with two of them being undead.
Vanamonde von Mekkhan (Girl Genius), Maladict(a) (Discworld), and SSSS's own Pastor Anne

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2022, 05:38:03 AM »
Wave, a great scene! I took a double take ”wait, is Vanamonde undead” but did you mean that Anne is?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2022, 06:28:31 AM »
Jitter, I'm thrilled to see where the christmas performance will take us! I'm sure nothing will go wrong. Nothing at all.

JoB, another exciting instalment! I wonder where (and through what links) your story will take us next?

Wave, I may not know all of these characters but they certainly look like they deserve a good coffee together!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

dmeck7755

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2022, 03:50:23 PM »
Wave
Nice pic.
That would be an interesting tea party indeed.  I was trying to figure out who was undead, and remembered Anne is in a horrible way :)

-Frank Zappa