Author Topic: Musician Talk  (Read 21735 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Musician Talk
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Dulcimers are lovely. My husband has an Appalachian dulcimer which he hasn't played much in the last few years (he has been in and out of hospital for several years). I'm hoping he will get back into playing as he slowly recovers, since my hands nowadays are a little crippled to play many of my instruments, but I still sing. And singing to a dulcimer accompaniment is a delight.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
One day I hope to maybe learn some tuned percussion instrument:

Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2016, 12:31:01 AM »
Oooh, Hrollo, how I'd love to have you in my band class! I'm learning mallet percussion instruments at the moment (mainly xylophone, but with sprinklings of bells, chimes, marimba, and vibraphone). Right now I'm sticking to one mallet per hand and working on my speed of sight-reading (which is dreeeeadfully slow-goings at the moment) but if I have independent practice time, I can fair pretty well on simple stuff so far!

Marimba is my favorite so far (especially the deeper, more resonant notes because yes), although I haven't yet played the vibraphone plugged in, so I'm interested to hear how it sounds. Hrollo, I also love in that video that you linked how many octaves her marimba has! The two that I get to play have about 2.5 octaves or so, so I'm quite envious of the range of hers.

Basically--it's as fun as you'd think it is, though sticking properly is a challenge and I definitely haven't mastered that yet. Dexterity with the mallets, in general, is difficult, though of course the faster the rhythm the more difficult it is. But I SUPPORT ALL PITCHED PERCUSSION ENDEAVORS! OR JUST PERCUSSION ENDEAVORS IN GENERAL! OR MUSICAL ENDEAVORS! GO OUT AND LEARN YOURSELF SOME INSTRUMENTS!

Juniper and Roísín, my-oh-my do I love some hammered dulcimer music. My great uncle has and plays a hammered dulcimer and I've been playing around with it for ages but have no idea how to properly use it. For a great dulcimer player, you should totally check out the music of Rich Mullins! He played beautifully, and was a beautiful human, and his music is good for my soul and I hope yours as well:

And here's more dulcimer with some singing as well (featuring the Apostle's Creed and some delightful harmonies for any who are interested):

Sorry for the ridiculous excited spew that was that post. I just am really enjoying mallet percussion and I want everyone else to as well. I would also like to point out how difficult it is to properly hold more than one mallet per hand at one time--that girl is ROCKING IT. YAY MARIMBA
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:37:54 AM by ginger »
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 04:52:39 AM »
Ginger > thanks for the enthusiastic reply :)

I've been considering the possibily to buy a small xylophone, I was there are relatively cheap ones.

Have some more tuned percussions, this time from east Asia; Indonesia:

And Thailand:

frostykitty

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
Oooh, tuned percussion instruments! I know that orchestra bells/glockenspiels can be cheaper, too.
I haven't posted on this thread for a while, ever since band camp there's been a ton of stuff I've had to do... Then school started last week. And, the first game was on Friday, and our section instructor said we did great on halftime (even if I'm not so sure I should be included in that). I know I messed up my pre-game coordinates, though, but I feel like it should be easy to memorize them when I only have that set of coordinates to memorize... The next game is this upcoming Friday, and we're playing our second and third songs. The third song is the pit feature, and we have a lot of important parts. I know one of the said important parts.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
Róisín I'm hoping your husband can play again soon too ! I know that sometimes musical instruments are sometimes used in physical therapy for fine motor control in the hands, so perhaps as he progresses and can get back into playing it'll be helpful for him.

Rollo and frostykitty YES tuned percussion instruments !! Back at uni I'd always go to the jazz combo shows the music department would put on, and my favorites sets were the ones with tuned percussion instruments  :D there was this one guy who was also a music minor and OH MAN he could rock so hard playing jazz on any tuned percussion instrument, he was wonderful to watch.

Ginger THANK YOU so much for sharing more lovely hammered dulcimer music ahh ! Actually, I just remembered the one time I went to New York City and was taking the subway around, in one of the subway stations was a guy playing the hammered dulcimer. I made my friends stop and wait with me a while to watch him because he was actually really good, and that's one of the few times I've actually got to watch hammered dulcimer played in person so I was pretty happy :3

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2016, 02:55:53 AM »
Please excuse the double post, but I just finished reading "White Night", the ninth book in the "Dresden Files" series and I came across a quote that really struck a chord with me (no pun intended) that I felt deserved its own post and belonged in here:

"I started playing. Beautifully. It wasn't a perfect performance, a computer can do that. It wasn't a terribly complex bit of music. My fingers didn't suddenly regain their complete dexterity, but the music became alive. My hands moved with a surety and confidence I usually felt only in bursts a few seconds long. I played a second piece, and then a third, and every time my rhythm was on, and I found myself seeing and using new nuances, variations on chords that lent depth and color to the simple pieces I could play, sweet sadness to the minor chords, power to the majors, stresses and resolutions I'd always heard in my head, but could never express in life."

It mostly stuck out to me so much because of the "It wasn't a perfect performance, a computer can do that." and then the "but the music became alive" bit. I've known a lot of good musicians who become too obsessed with perfection in their playing (which isn't even completely possible) that they stop having real passion for what they do, they forget why they liked it in the first place, it just becomes about being good or being the best and nothing else, and eventually I stopped enjoying hearing them play even if they were very skilled because their playing was too mechanical, there wasn't any feeling or life when they played. I'd rather have listened to someone who obviously still loved playing and was able to put feeling and life into their music.

Improving your music on a technical level obviously has it's place, there's more you can do and play and express when you have the skill to back it, but it's important to not loose sight of why you started playing and loving music in the first place.

Maybe there are some people who it always was just about being technical skilled, and not about the art or the expression or feeling, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you want out of it. I just find it sad and disappointing when a musician who once had a love of love and passion for what they did looses it for the pursuit of perfection.

I mean, being able to put life and feeling into your music, like the quote says a computer can play something technically perfect, but putting life and feeling in music is something only we can do. It's why live performances are so magical. You get to see and feel and hear that life and feeling and passion first hand. It's great, more than great, it's wonderful.

A music teacher I had in high school once said what's so great about music and really any of the performing arts is that they're a living, breathing art form. No two performances are going to be exactly alike because humans can't perfectly replicate everything from another performance, something no matter how minuscule is going to be a little different or off, but that's what makes them alive and great and a great thing to be a part of.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:16:45 PM by Juniper »

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »

That' a wonderful quote, and I agree with all that you've said. It's something that I think non-musicians hear, but they don't exactly understand. I'm in a never-ending argument with my dad, who doesn't play music, to convince him that computers as they are just can't manufacture all the qualities of a well played piece of music. There's too much nuance to it, and things that the musicians do that they probably aren't even able to explain completely, and those little things really make the music. A computer, so far, can only do what you tell it to do, and I don't think we know enough about how and why music affects us to tell computers to do the right things. Anyway, rant over, I really liked that quote  ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
That' a wonderful quote, and I agree with all that you've said. It's something that I think non-musicians hear, but they don't exactly understand. I'm in a never-ending argument with my dad, who doesn't play music, to convince him that computers as they are just can't manufacture all the qualities of a well played piece of music. There's too much nuance to it, and things that the musicians do that they probably aren't even able to explain completely, and those little things really make the music. A computer, so far, can only do what you tell it to do, and I don't think we know enough about how and why music affects us to tell computers to do the right things. Anyway, rant over, I really liked that quote  ;D

Ah yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with computers haven't really been programmed to feel and express emotions and for a good musical performance I think that's necessary. Even with synth music / chiptune / 8bit music or anything else composed using a computer as a tool, it can still have a lot of feeling and expression when it's a human doing the input for what notes and tones and rhythms go where. Sure some people have managed to program robots to mimic emotional expression / parrot it, but that's different.

Although now I'm thinking about how sometimes I'm not entirely sure why and how music affects us so much. Sometimes I think it might have to do with sounds affecting us because maybe certain tones  and chords might mimic human tones when expressing things during speech but then music just expands on that ? But I feel like it might be more complicated than that and maybe not totally explainable, I don't know.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »
Victory ! \o/

I don't know if any other string players have experiences the sheer terror that is having a tuning peg 100% stuck and ummoveable, yet alone all four, but it almost put me in a mild panic because I have no idea where the nearest luthier is or when I'd be able to get to them. It was definitely totally my fault though because its something my violin professor would yell at me about with just using my fine tuners all the time and never moving my pegs around and she warned me that it would result on my pegs getting stuck =/

So I took to the internet because just using brute force or pliers felt like a bad idea that might damage or break my pegs. Someone said exposing your peg box to heat works kind of like when you run a jar under hot water, and suggested using a blow dryer or light bulb. I held my violin up to a hot light bulb for a while and it did nothing. So I looked up more stuff and someone said exposing your peg box to cold is the way to go, such as holding a bag of ice up to it. Anyway I tried that and that ended up working :D

I'm a little bit concerned though having exposed my violin even if it was just the peg box to drastic temperatures especially going from really hot to really cold like that and I hope I didn't damage or weaken any of the wood. And then there's the peg for my E sting that's always been slippery and every time I tune with my E string's peg it immediately slips and goes flat so of course even after being stuck as soon as it got unstuck it went right back to doing that =/

So yeah, thought I'd share because I think it's useful knowledge that sometimes holding a bag of ice up to your peg box can help with stuck pegs. And, in case anyone knows of any other useful ways to get pegs unstuck.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
Having only ever had guitars with headstocks rather than pegs, I can only imagine the hassle that constitute pegs. Glad you managed something!

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
I ordered the sticker set and now my ukulele is SO PRETTY  :))  :))  :)) <3
Spoiler:  look at how cute tuuri is. THE MOST CUTE • show

Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »
I ordered the sticker set and now my ukulele is SO PRETTY  :))  :))  :)) <3
Spoiler:  look at how cute tuuri is. THE MOST CUTE • show

Awww that's adorable and some of my favorite sticker usage I've seen yet ! I also really love the color of your ukulele  :D

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2016, 01:11:30 AM »
Awww that's adorable and some of my favorite sticker usage I've seen yet ! I also really love the color of your ukulele  :D

Thank you! It was my one ukulele that doesn't crack when it's dry...
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2016, 01:18:22 AM »
Thank you! It was my one ukulele that doesn't crack when it's dry...

Oh, yikes D: I know I use a dampit on my violin during the winter, but I'm not sure if they're commonly used with ukuleles. Do you use a dampit with your ukuleles or have you considered using one ?