Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387491 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1455 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
I guess upbringing helps accustom one to a range of climates. The thing is I cannot sleep comfortably if the night temperature approaches 20 degrees. That's what I hate about vacationing in the south. Apparently Southern Europeans appreciate the sensation of being boiled alive when they go to bed.
A minion meet up would be difficult to pull off.  Especially if 20 is enough for one of us to feel like they're boiling alive, haha.
Over here it can get up to 36-39 C in the summer, which is when I basically just lock my doors and don't go outside.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1456 on: November 14, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
A minion meet up would be difficult to pull off.  Especially if 20 is enough for one of us to feel like they're boiling alive, haha.
Over here it can get up to 36-39 C in the summer, which is when I basically just lock my doors and don't go outside.

-"So stoked to finally meet all y'all. So how y'all doing?"
-"THE PAIN IS REAL"

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1457 on: November 14, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »
I did get my gait checked once.... I don't remember the details but I think I overpronate with at least one foot. As far as shoes go I just buy a new pair of asics kayanos every year.

And hey! Winter is the best part of the year!

Heck yes shin splint buddies *shin on shin high five*!
Where do you get your gait checked?? :0
I used to have orthotics but I grew out of them nearly a decade ago and it's way too expensive to go get new ones fitted :/

Winter is nice. There's kinda less work I think. :P

-"THE PAIN IS REAL"
Oh my gosh X'D
That would probably happen if we met up somewhere cold too :P
We need to locate the perfect minion climate!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1458 on: November 14, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
The internet. Or "indoors somewhere with heating/ air-conditioning."

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1459 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
The internet. Or "indoors somewhere with heating/ air-conditioning."
Hehehehe internet convention XP
We should just hire a whole building so no one has to go outside for anything ;P
Hotel staff- "they've booked the conference hall, dining hall and all the suites from the third floor up! What's going on?? Politicians? World leaders??
*minions arrive*
Hotel staff- who the heck are they?

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1460 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Getting caught in the cold is torture to me! I'm a lizard, I soak up heat but don't make much of my own. If I don't dress carefully for it, even the couple minutes it takes to get from the house to the car and get the heat going on a really cold day can leave me tired and drained for hours. Deserts though! Deserts aren't half bad. Carry LOTS of water and have a hat or bandanna, plus something you can take on and off that covers up your arms and legs but isn't too thick. Then just make sure you drink the water constantly, and watch out to make sure you don't get a sunburn. Easy peasy.

I'm completely different. If it's too warm, I get slightly dizzy, feel horribly tired, and can't function properly. Anything over 30°C is complete Lenny-shuts-down-mode and spends the day in a pool or bath or on cold tile floors while devouring watermelons and being half-asleep. I do like summer, though, for the simple fact that I can go swimming without freezing or catching a cold (plus watermelons are in full supply). That's why I like over-cast, humid, slightly rainy but still really warm days - I can swim for the whole day and not get sunburnt.

But, on the other hand, I get cold (as in, blue fingers cold) really really easily. So though I love cold weather quite a bit (I'm like a Terry Pratchett troll - my brain functions better and better), I tend to have to cover up completely, even indoors at times.

I guess upbringing helps accustom one to a range of climates. The thing is I cannot sleep comfortably if the night temperature approaches 20 degrees. That's what I hate about vacationing in the south. Apparently Southern Europeans appreciate the sensation of being boiled alive when they go to bed.

I've got the same thing! If it's too warm, I can't get to sleep. I think part of it is because I like having heavy bedclothes on top of me while I sleep, and that's impossible when it's that hot. So it all feels wrong and in some way vulnerable, and I end up getting very little sleep. I've had very uncomfortable nights during the summertime in South Africa - even though it was in desert and semi-desert areas (which supposedly equals hot days, cold nights), it's still very hot at night *sigh*

Oh my gosh X'D

Somewhere where it's around 20°C-25°C and overcast, and cools down in the evening (not too hot, not too cold, slightly humid). I suspect it'll be somewhere close to the equator in autumn or spring. I think we should never ever meet up in winter or summer *nods*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1461 on: November 14, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
-"THE PAIN IS REAL"
Thank you for getting my words right, haha. 
I really would like to meet up one day; it'd be quite fun.  I think a good place to meet would be... I forget the name, it's either Los Angeles or, uh... the other city in California, that stays about 70 F = 21 C all year 'round, with a little variation in the winter.

Hehehehe internet convention XP
We should just hire a whole building so no one has to go outside for anything ;P
Hotel staff- "they've booked the conference hall, dining hall and all the suites from the third floor up! What's going on?? Politicians? World leaders??
*minions arrive*
Hotel staff- who the heck are they?
Hooooh, gosh.  I would show up in proper Thor attire for good measure.
"We are the minions, and we are many."
They'd think we were a weird, international cult of some kind.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1462 on: November 14, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »
I'm completely different. If it's too warm, I get slightly dizzy, feel horribly tired, and can't function properly. Anything over 30°C is complete Lenny-shuts-down-mode and spends the day in a pool or bath or on cold tile floors while devouring watermelons and being half-asleep. I do like summer, though, for the simple fact that I can go swimming without freezing or catching a cold (plus watermelons are in full supply). That's why I like over-cast, humid, slightly rainy but still really warm days - I can swim for the whole day and not get sunburnt.

But, on the other hand, I get cold (as in, blue fingers cold) really really easily. So though I love cold weather quite a bit (I'm like a Terry Pratchett troll - my brain functions better and better), I tend to have to cover up completely, even indoors at times.

I've got the same thing! If it's too warm, I can't get to sleep. I think part of it is because I like having heavy bedclothes on top of me while I sleep, and that's impossible when it's that hot. So it all feels wrong and in some way vulnerable, and I end up getting very little sleep. I've had very uncomfortable nights during the summertime in South Africa - even though it was in desert and semi-desert areas (which supposedly equals hot days, cold nights), it's still very hot at night *sigh*

Somewhere where it's around 20°C-25°C and overcast, and cools down in the evening (not too hot, not too cold, slightly humid). I suspect it'll be somewhere close to the equator in autumn or spring. I think we should never ever meet up in winter or summer *nods*
I'm the same as you Lenny X'D if I get too hot, I just feel so worn out and I'll probably randomly cry or something :P plus there's the sudden nosebleeds :/

I love heavy duvets and bed layers, if there's no weight it feels so vulnerable and uncomfortable...it's like I don't like outside air touching me XD even when it's hot I have to try sleeping with the duvet and blankets...and just boil in my sleep ;___;
I'm just so paranoid of mosquitoes as well........

I was thinking around 15-20°C would be nice, (and my comfortable level of heat :P) but that's too cold for some people

Thank you for getting my words right, haha. 
I really would like to meet up one day; it'd be quite fun.  I think a good place to meet would be... I forget the name, it's either Los Angeles or, uh... the other city in California, that stays about 70 F = 21 C all year 'round, with a little variation in the winter.
Hooooh, gosh.  I would show up in proper Thor attire for good measure.
"We are the minions, and we are many."
They'd think we were a weird, international cult of some kind.
Fimbulvarg got you down to a T ;P

21°C sounds reasonable!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1463 on: November 14, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
I'm the same as you Lenny X'D if I get too hot, I just feel so worn out and I'll probably randomly cry or something :P plus there's the sudden nosebleeds :/

I love heavy duvets and bed layers, if there's no weight it feels so vulnerable and uncomfortable...it's like I don't like outside air touching me XD even when it's hot I have to try sleeping with the duvet and blankets...and just boil in my sleep ;___;

I was thinking around 15-20°C would be nice, (and my comfortable level of heat :P) but that's too cold for some people

That's...exactly me, too. I really do not like it when it's too hot. And I must always have nice layers of blankets...even when it's hot. Which makes it really hard to sleep, but then I can't sleep without the blankets...

We will just bring plenty of blankets and things to the Hypothetical Far-Off Meetup, because that's cheaper than going to a hot place and, I dunno, bringing lots of fans.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1464 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »
Hotel staff- "they've booked the conference hall, dining hall and all the suites from the third floor up!"
Make that the restaurant's refrigeration room, the sauna, pool, and office space (Internet uplink!!!). Beds optional, real Minnions just lallilounge under the table. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1465 on: November 14, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »

Fimbulvarg got you down to a T ;P

21°C sounds reasonable!
The main thing was all the "y'alls."  Heh, nothing else really matters.

That's...exactly me, too. I really do not like it when it's too hot. And I must always have nice layers of blankets...even when it's hot. Which makes it really hard to sleep, but then I can't sleep without the blankets...

We will just bring plenty of blankets and things to the Hypothetical Far-Off Meetup, because that's cheaper than going to a hot place and, I dunno, bringing lots of fans.
My room back home is the hottest one in the house, and I don't have a fan.  I just got used to sleeping without any covers in the summer, on the hottest nights.  Sweating is not something people are meant to do in their beds.

Make that the restaurant's refrigeration room, the sauna, pool, and office space (Internet uplink!!!). Beds optional, real Minnions just lallilounge under the table. :P
There is some truth to this.
Seriously, how crazy would it be if we gathered every (eh, maybe like 80% of the) member(s) of an entire fandom together in one place, for a con or something...  All the other people would be so confused, "Who are all these people with cats and braids and red hair and sparkles!?!  They're everywheeeere!!"
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1466 on: November 14, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
There is some truth to this.
Seriously, how crazy would it be if we gathered every (eh, maybe like 80% of the) member(s) of an entire fandom together in one place, for a con or something...  All the other people would be so confused, "Who are all these people with cats and braids and red hair and sparkles!?!  They're everywheeeere!!"
And all the languages would just be flying everywhere chaotically.... Probably also hands and arms when minions try to improvise sign/body language :P

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1467 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
The hotel's charwomen gossiping: "And believe it or not, they insist on 'cleansing' their rooms themselves, and even brought some huge vacuums to do so." [Three stories above, someone tends to his "vacuum"'s pilot flame] "This week's gonna be easy-peasy!"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:20:37 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1468 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
Hmmmmm I could do San Francisco--is that the city you were thinking of Eich? 60F/15C is a little chill for me, but a good jacket would easily fix that, and it stays more or less that temperature year round due to the ridiculous fog there.

Don't get me wrong guys, extreme heat (especially in high humidity) can make you sleepy/cranky as much as cold can. I grew up in a swamp, I can say with experience that there's a reason why siestas are a thing. I just happen to hit that sleepy-cold threshold a lot faster than I hit the sleepy-hot one...

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1469 on: November 14, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »
Hmmmmm I could do San Francisco--is that the city you were thinking of Eich? 60F/15C is a little chill for me, but a good jacket would easily fix that, and it stays more or less that temperature year round due to the ridiculous fog there.

Don't get me wrong guys, extreme heat (especially in high humidity) can make you sleepy/cranky as much as cold can. I grew up in a swamp, I can say with experience that there's a reason why siestas are a thing. I just happen to hit that sleepy-cold threshold a lot faster than I hit the sleepy-hot one...
Oh, humidity sucks, yep.  Coming home from a long drive and stepping out of the car, only to be greeted by the hot, river-like air that makes it hard to breathe is, bizarrely, one of my least favorite things.  I have an easier time falling asleep in cold than hot, too.  I think it has something to do with the number of sheets/blankets associated with the cold.

Edit: My roommate is a son of a b****.  He left his coffee cup on the counter a while ago, and I expected him to wash it, like all the other 20+ dishes of mine that he's just dumped in the sink/on the counter.  Wouldn't you know it?  He didn't.  And now - there - is - MOLD - growing in one of my coffee cups, and he is on a road trip again this weekend with his frat.  I am in prime murder-kill-angry mode, right now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:37:24 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.