Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387637 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14325 on: March 04, 2016, 02:15:59 PM »
How to know you're in one:
- You have started a bloody multi-generational feud by stealing cheese.
- The current feud in which you are embroiled seems likely to be resolved by prodding a blindfolded horse off a cliff with poles. This horse is known for its malice.
- You have enraged a family of Sami wizards, who like to stand on your roof and sing all night.
- You think a summer of raiding and mercenary warfare will curb the violent tendencies of your young relative.
- At the age of three, you were already composing skaldic verse and outdrinking grown men. Your grandparents are very proud of you.
- Everyone you have ever loved, been related to, or looked at flirtatiously during the summer parliament has died in a feud. You are raising your sons to continue the feud.
- If you can compose a sufficiently good poem praising the king, you’re off the hook for killing his infant son.
- No man in Iceland was your equal, so you became a zombie-killing nun instead.

It's not even funny how many sagas I recognized immediately. There's Brennu-Njals saga with the cheese, Egils saga (though he didn't outdrink people at age three yet, he just stole a horse, rode to a party, drank and composed a poem), the other poem-one might also be Egils saga, Laxdæla is probably the "everyone you love dies"-one, Guðrúns husbands do die a lot. In the end she becomes Iceland's first nun and kills a zombie. The one about calming down your young relative by a summer of raiding could be many sagas.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14326 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:06 PM »
Especially if you have a British accent.
"Reeeview Myrrha"

Depends on the accent. In my Northern drone it becomes something more like "reervoo mirrah"...
Also if you really want to hear something butchered in the UK, ask a Scot (especially a Glaswegian, I think) to say "burglar alarm".
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14327 on: March 04, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
It's not even funny how many sagas I recognized immediately. There's Brennu-Njals saga with the cheese, Egils saga (though he didn't outdrink people at age three yet, he just stole a horse, rode to a party, drank and composed a poem), the other poem-one might also be Egils saga, Laxdæla is probably the "everyone you love dies"-one, Guðrúns husbands do die a lot. In the end she becomes Iceland's first nun and kills a zombie. The one about calming down your young relative by a summer of raiding could be many sagas.

Which one is the one involving Sami wizards?

Depends on the accent. In my Northern drone it becomes something more like "reervoo mirrah"...
Also if you really want to hear something butchered in the UK, ask a Scot (especially a Glaswegian, I think) to say "burglar alarm".

Or have a scouser pronounce "chicken and a coke".

IKEA

« Reply #14328 on: March 04, 2016, 07:57:57 PM »
"Greenland is horrible, but you have persuaded people to move there with false advertising".
Somehow this reminded me of the Silent World and Sigrun seeing it as a vacation. Course, for her it was...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14329 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »
Anybody remember from which saga comes that quote 'And so after years of fighting and feud, (one side, don't remember the name) hired a Finnish wizard, and that was the end of that war.' I read it nearly fifty years ago, and I remember being highly amused at the time, but don't remember who was fighting whom.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14330 on: March 04, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
I don't know why but for some reason it's really hard to pronounce "rear view mirror".

Oh yes, and Eyjafjallajökull is so much easier ;)

Anybody remember from which saga comes that quote 'And so after years of fighting and feud, (one side, don't remember the name) hired a Finnish wizard, and that was the end of that war.'

Lalli the peacemaker!  ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14331 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:47 PM »
Oh yes, and Eyjafjallajökull is so much easier ;)

Eyjafjallajökull is simple! It's phonetic. :D You just eyja - fjalla - jökull
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14332 on: March 04, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »

If you say so...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #14333 on: March 04, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »
Wyrm, I think in the context it was more implied that the 'wizard' put a more - permanent - end to the dispute. For one thing, the Finns were notorious for weather magic, which in a seafaring culture can do great damage for minimal expenditure of power. All those folktales where the sailors buy a bag or knotted rope containing winds from a Finnish mage, then somebody gets impatient or messes it up.....

Damn, wish I could remember which saga it was! Hate it when I forget things!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #14334 on: March 05, 2016, 01:56:27 AM »
Wyrm, I think in the context it was more implied that the 'wizard' put a more - permanent - end to the dispute. For one thing, the Finns were notorious for weather magic, which in a seafaring culture can do great damage for minimal expenditure of power. All those folktales where the sailors buy a bag or knotted rope containing winds from a Finnish mage, then somebody gets impatient or messes it up.....

Oh, I presumed as such, I just had the vision of them hiring Lalli and figured it was slightly more likely for him to end the war (somehow!) peacefully, rather than by destroying the other side.

Onni on the other hand... :D

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14335 on: March 05, 2016, 02:38:03 AM »
Which one is the one involving Sami wizards?

Nothing comes to mind, sorry! Not that having a party on the roof was rare, just that usually it was done by ghosts. I'm curious too so I'll look more into it, maybe I'm just overlooking something here.

I can look into this one too. The wizard they hired was likeliest a Sami though, as back when the sagas were written Sami people were called Finns. The people now called Finns weren't one people at all but a group of tribes, each one bearing their own tribe name, and to this day Finns use these area-coded names (and call these groups tribes, heimo). For example I'm a Häme girl because most of my family is from Häme, but I also have a Karelian side because that's where my grandma on father's side came from.

Don't forget the double L sound and the vowel length rules though, Icelandic is rarely phonetic.  :D

Eyjafjallajökull = eyya - fyathla - jöökthll.

EDIT oops skipped over one:

"Greenland is horrible, but you have persuaded people to move there with false advertising".
Somehow this reminded me of the Silent World and Sigrun seeing it as a vacation. Course, for her it was...

Grænlendinga saga, or Greenland Saga.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:49:42 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

« Reply #14336 on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:53 AM »
Yeah, I can see Onni doing 'don't make me come over there'. And Lalli? Probably trickery or strategy of some kind, whether for peacemaking or victory. If he thought it was worth the having to talk to people that much!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #14337 on: March 05, 2016, 06:23:28 AM »
"Don't make me come over there!"

"Seriously, please don't make me come over there. I hate traveling!"

;D

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14338 on: March 05, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »

This happened in The Odyssey as well. Maybe it's one of those myths that just pops up all over the world?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14339 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »
"Don't make me come over there!"
"Seriously, please don't make me come over there. I hate traveling!"
"It seems that I'm allergic to stupid thoughts of coming over to you."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15