Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410414 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14205 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:08 AM »
Mister Ed only talked to those who were "in on it"; that is, that he could speak at all. With those in the know, however, he was normally conversant.

Wyrm was almost certainly thinking of the song's bridge, as follows:

People yackety yack a streak
And waste your time of day.
But Mr. Ed will never speak
Unless he has something to say.

…but he didn't want to imply you were a horse, as he said.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14206 on: February 28, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
Ah! Ahhahahah! I see! LooNEY, that's priceless!

Yuuago: yeah, I was pretty impressed at the time that I did not scream. I get the impression that people don't listen, most of the time. Even if information is compressed into ten-second sound bites. They seem to pick out one or two words and run with what they think they heard. Which is why, if what I am telling someone is critical, I sometimes ask them to repeat back what I said word for word, or write it down as a checklist.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14207 on: February 28, 2016, 02:08:08 AM »
Wyrm was almost certainly thinking of the song's bridge

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. Apologies for the confusion!  :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14208 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:09 AM »
My phrasing in answering her was very formal indeed!

I'm almost twitching at this story. People who don't listen are sadly common, and besides being a nuisance in some lines of work they're dangerous to themselves or bystanders... I'm thinking f.ex. of all the parents in the shop who let their children run around and touch things even after I've told them the dangers (there may be broken glass if they go behind the working table, there are some sharp knives in that area too, some huge pieces of art are set to lean on their side waiting for people to come pick them up, they're easily damaged and a heavy frame can seriously hurt if it falls on a kid and so forth).

In the goldsmithing school accidents could likewise have serious consequences and they generally divided in two groups: a) seasoned goldsmiths too assured they knew what they were doing and were absent-minded for a second and b) students who didn't listen. Both tended to end up with fewer digits than they started with.

The most important rule students were told from day one was "don't use the tools and machinery unsupervised if you haven't used them before". Still, every few years someone didn't listen to this part and went and tried to figure out the use of some machine anyway with bad results.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14209 on: February 28, 2016, 05:30:51 AM »
What annoys me more than someone who talks a lot is someone who doesn't listen (/read, in some weird way I have trouble understanding).
We have one person like that at sport. It's... tiresome for me. She's a nice person, but unable to concentrate on something more than two minutes (which is huge success, two minutes) and always talking. Always. And not listening. And changing her subject of conversation so quickly that it can even be hard to follow her thoughts. Next to her I'm the illustration of the silent person ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14210 on: February 28, 2016, 05:51:08 AM »
What annoys me more than someone who talks a lot is someone who doesn't listen (/read, in some weird way I have trouble understanding). I share a workspace with someone like that, and he'll call me over every so often to ask a question that I answer by pointing out the word/phrase he skipped in the instructions he's reading. Or some of us will go to the movies together, and as we walk out, he'll say, "I didn't understand [thing they explained pretty clearly in the movie's dialogue]".

When I say or write something, I take care to select the wording or phrasing that, in my mind, conveys my intended meaning in the most accurate manner possible; therefore, every word I say is important, and cannot be blithely skipped over for whatever reason the (non-)listener might choose to essay. It would be nice if the listener or reader took as much care in reading or listening to what I say as I do in formulating the same.

I'm like you so I understand your frustration, but I think it's also important to consider that some of these people don't do it out of carelessness (towards safety or others' time or anything else) or to be rude, it might be just the way their brain is wired and very difficult to change without medication. I've been reading about non-neurotypical people a lot these days. ADD, for instance, can come in many different flavors. Just something to think about in case it helps you not get angry at people.

Mélusine

« Reply #14211 on: February 28, 2016, 06:40:17 AM »
I think it's also important to consider that some of these people don't do it out of carelessness (towards safety or others' time or anything else) or to be rude, it might be just the way their brain is wired
It is often, indeed :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mélusine

« Reply #14212 on: February 28, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
What to do a Sunday afternoon : go to the railway station. Discover there are no train at all today. Read that there are bus instead, that the next one in 50 minutes, because yes, they propose one bus instead of three trains per hour. Calculate that it will leave a little more than one hour where I wanted to go, if the bus isn't full, before maybe living the same in the opposite side. Go home, disappointed.
I consider I need a least a cup of tea now.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14213 on: February 28, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
What to do a Sunday afternoon : go to the railway station. Discover there are no train at all today. Read that there are bus instead, that the next one in 50 minutes, because yes, they propose one bus instead of three trains per hour. Calculate that it will leave a little more than one hour where I wanted to go, if the bus isn't full, before maybe living the same in the opposite side. Go home, disappointed.

That sounds super frustrating. D: Transport, siiiigh.... I hope you had some really awesome tea after that.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14214 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

Mmm, I'm on a train right now actually, with lazy Norwegian countryside on the left and the forum front and center. I actually browsed the forum from a plane in flight today too. The future is sorta amazing, what a time to be alive.

I was reminded that Fimby.no exists, and I thought I'd share the state it was in after pushing a button.

What button did you push though?

From various fanart depictions referencing SSSS RPGs / fanfics, etc, I got the impression that Fimby's (characters?) violent and/or anarchic tendencies in the SSSS-verse need reining in So. Frequently. that a website was deemed if not the best, at least the funniest, way to do so.

1) I've never been in a RPG nor a fanfic and 2) I don't need reining in.... You need reining in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:09:09 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Mélusine

« Reply #14215 on: February 28, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
That sounds super frustrating. D: Transport, siiiigh.... I hope you had some really awesome tea after that.
*Has a big cup of good tea and is now occupied with transforming this "no workshop and conversations in a nice place today" frustration into a "let's go to eat vietnamese food together next month instead"* :)

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14216 on: February 28, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
"eugh, the screen on my phone stops working once in a while... maybe it's time to get a new one."
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"
"...........
now i have, and now i can't do ANYTHING, screen doesn't respond to touch at all, i can't unlock the screen and type the pin code..."

i knew there would be a day i would have to replace my beloved xperia mini pro but it has come too fast and too sudden, and i have zero idea what to replace it with. OH WELL c'est la vie whatever

also my girlfriend(!) had to head back home today as it is the end of our winter break....... i'm lonely and my phone's broken and i've got school tomorrow :c 'tis sucky
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14217 on: February 28, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »
"eugh, the screen on my phone stops working once in a while... maybe it's time to get a new one."
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"
"...........
now i have, and now i can't do ANYTHING, screen doesn't respond to touch at all, i can't unlock the screen and type the pin code..."

i knew there would be a day i would have to replace my beloved xperia mini pro but it has come too fast and too sudden, and i have zero idea what to replace it with. OH WELL c'est la vie whatever

Did you try connecting it to your pc and using the pc software to reset the settings?

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14218 on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
Did you try connecting it to your pc and using the pc software to reset the settings?
i tried connecting it to the pc but i......... haven't used the software to do anything on it ever, i'm not sure if i even installed the software at all, and honestly it is Time for me to get a little less outdated phone anyway. i was starting to feel like an outcast of society when i can't download apps, like, say, my student card for this semester õ__õ

it sucks but i can probably deal with the loss of my excellent score in fruit ninja.
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14219 on: February 28, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
i tried connecting it to the pc but i......... haven't used the software to do anything on it ever, i'm not sure if i even installed the software at all, and honestly it is Time for me to get a little less outdated phone anyway. i was starting to feel like an outcast of society when i can't download apps, like, say, my student card for this semester õ__õ

it sucks but i can probably deal with the loss of my excellent score in fruit ninja.

You can download a student card?

There's an app about fruits and ninjas??

... man, maybe I've been an outcast all along without even realising.

(You can probably find the relevant software at the homepage for your phone brand).