Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410101 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14055 on: February 19, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
The libraries in Finland though... I could tell you stories. -.-

But not inside the library? ;)

Sometimes, at my university library, when the big room devoted to History/Geography/History of Arts became to noisy, we heard a message from the librarians, saying this place was made for researches and studies in silence, thank you.

So your library was in the Silent World?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14056 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
Sometimes, at my university library, when the big room devoted to History/Geography/History of Arts became to noisy, we heard a message from the librarians, saying this place was made for researches and studies in silence, thank you. Meanwhile, I was acting as if yes, of course, I was a third year student ::) and working in the other room which was so much quiet.

Watch out for trollified bookworms!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #14057 on: February 19, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »

Some days I wish we had trolls here to encourage people to be quiet...this library can get LOUD. The thing I most miss about working for an academic library (which I did for three years in college) is that there were designated quiet areas and only students/faculty could come in. (So...no 10-year-old boys playing minecraft and shouting at each other from the time school is out until they get kicked out.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14058 on: February 19, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
The libraries at my university are broadly set up so that every floor has a different noise level. At the top are the silent study areas, there's a floor or two in the middle where you're allowed to chat, and the ground floor is usually a cafeteria/rec room kind of setup. Seem to work quite well in my experience!
On the downside, the engineering/science library currently only has 3 toilets operational thanks to renovation works. In a building designed to hold hundreds of people. Round exam time, when everyone's been drinking a lot of coffee, it can get... quite bad.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14059 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
And, suddenly, all I have in mind is Doctor Who's "Silence at the library" and the job I had in which lights were turning off one after one other, beginning by the other side of the room...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14060 on: February 19, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
And, suddenly, all I have in mind is Doctor Who's "Silence at the library" and the job I had in which lights were turning off one after one other, beginning by the other side of the room...

Spoiler: Hey, who turned out the lights? • show

Still remember that episode...
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14061 on: February 19, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
On the downside, the engineering/science library currently only has 3 toilets operational thanks to renovation works. In a building designed to hold hundreds of people. Round exam time, when everyone's been drinking a lot of coffee, it can get... quite bad.

Remembering my own days as a Physics major, I'm astonished that they notice enough to get up and pee.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14062 on: February 19, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »
Remembering my own days as a Physics major, I'm astonished that they notice enough to get up and pee.
I almost (heavy emphasis on almost) wish they wouldn't, it'd make using the toilet less of an ordeal!
I write a bit on AO3

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14063 on: February 19, 2016, 07:02:06 PM »
Still remember that episode...
Dr. Moon: And then, you forgot.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14064 on: February 19, 2016, 07:06:21 PM »
I just realised how absurd it is that two humans might become friends because they like the same song.

Like what is wrong with us.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14065 on: February 19, 2016, 07:18:37 PM »
I just realised how absurd it is that two humans might become friends because they like the same song.

Why couldn't it be the first step of something which may become a friendship ? ??? Or is it something I'm not understanding ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14066 on: February 19, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »

Why couldn't it be the first step of something which may become a friendship ? ??? Or is it something I'm not understanding ?

I must admit, I too am not quite getting what you mean here...
I write a bit on AO3

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14067 on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »

People become friends because they have something in common. How is that weird?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14068 on: February 19, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
I have on several occasions made good and lasting friends whose attention has first been caught because they heard me singing some near-forgotten folk song or telling some obscure tale, and came up going'Wow! Another person who has even heard of this stuff! What else do you know?'

And I have returned the question to them, and we have started talking.....

I regard such common interests as a potential indicator of somebody with an interesting mind.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #14069 on: February 19, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »

That's definitely thin ice for a "friends to the bitter end, friends through thick and thin" scenario.  Still, it's a start.  The perfect friendship criterion is (arguably) the enemy of the good and sustaining friendship.  Gourmet delicacies are well and good, but not necessarily what one would want to live upon.  (Cats excepted, of course  8) .)

BTW and OT, did Minna's cliffhanger break Disqus?  It hasn't loaded for me at all today!
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)