Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388028 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13890 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
WHOA i actually got to the end of the online course, who'd have known complaining would help........

here are some liveblogging highlights:

Spoiler: driving is suffering part 2 • show

- why is it that every single time there’s talk of “HoW DOES ONE DOOO THAAAT?” there is a stock photo of a blonde girl with a confused look? not the same photo, just different confused blonde girls

- “new technology makes it easier and safer to drive, but be aware it can lull you into a false sense of security, and what you need is CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!”
[cue someone replying with a picture of mad-eye moody, as expected.]

- it’s the “oh no i crashed my caaarrrr” stock photo blonde again

- euuuauuurghhh it linked me to a youtube video showing “texting while driving” and i can’t watch through, there’s all this car crashing and sickening noises of necks snapping and blood gushing and nope. nope, can’t do it, not today, the stars

Prison
Society’s strictest measure”

attack on titan au where they have cars instead of horses
[friend comment: “i feel like whoever made this just learnt about wand tool in photoshop”]

- “in this illustration, which car is allowed to drive first?” *beatbox music*

[cue long pause of liveblogging inactivity because i just wanted to be dooneee with the course. during this period there were mostly road rules but also a 5 min long video about swedes getting themselves killed by trains. is this SSSS]

- “how would you grade your best friend in driving?” dear course i don’t have a best friend with a license. dear course i don’t have friends

- AND THEN THE MOST RIDICULOUS PART OF THE ENTIRE COURSE, a picture of a phone lit up by “**My Kitty**” ringing, followed by the sound of a guy picking up and then crashing. What followed was a… facebook simulation accompanied by sad violin music, and voices reading up the comments. it is sadly in norwegian but i tried to translate. it’s entirely possible it’s not all that funny without the music

Spoiler: translation • show

R.I.P (become a fan)
(1,814 fans)

**ViBBi
Dear Petter. I think of you every single day, every hour, every minute. You were the best friend and boyfriend in the world.

Karl Dahman
Miss you, Petter, miss your smile and your laughter. You were my best friend.

Erik Hoff
A desk is empty in our class room, life will never be the same without you.

Gerd Lierstrøm
lit a candle for you today, my boy. Love, mom.

Sissel Lierstrøm
Why? You should have been here with us, Petter. Love, your little sister who endlessly loves you.

++BastaBom++
We miss you at training. We will never forget you. You are in our hearts.
you'll know where to find me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13891 on: February 07, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
What followed was a… facebook simulation accompanied by sad violin music, and voices reading up the comments. it is sadly in norwegian but i tried to translate. it’s entirely possible it’s not all that funny without the music
... say, would Norwegian driving licenses happen to have a checkbox or a stamping field or something to legally convert them into a death certificate? I'm somehow under the impression that your bureaucrats would expect to save a lot of work that way ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #13892 on: February 07, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
/lies down on floor

I feel like I am never going to finish the driving theory course. "five hours" they said. it's been days. i think it has even worsened my driving abilities because it's telling me about aalll the things i gotta focus on, and i forget to do completely basic things like using blinkers because i'm concentrating so hard on detecting all the dangers and getting a full overview and trying to predict what wil happen 15 seconds in the future. send help

*pats*

At least 50% of learning to drive is getting that completely basic stuff to muscle memory so you don't have to think about it anymore. Blinkers, shifting, the feel of how fast the car is going, all the basic rule stuff like whose turn it is to go first. You'll get used to it to the point where it becomes automatic, and you'll be able to concentrate on the important stuff like watching traffic. Just take it easy, and practice :)
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13893 on: February 07, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
*pats*

At least 50% of learning to drive is getting that completely basic stuff to muscle memory so you don't have to think about it anymore. Blinkers, shifting, the feel of how fast the car is going, all the basic rule stuff like whose turn it is to go first. You'll get used to it to the point where it becomes automatic, and you'll be able to concentrate on the important stuff like watching traffic. Just take it easy, and practice :)
im so annoyed because a lot of it HAD been mostly automatic, but the stupid theory course set me back three years with its stupid thinking >:c
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13894 on: February 07, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
Haiz: *more pats*

On the bright side the theory course was at least quite entertaining. :D The automatic driving -bit comes back quickly too, not driving a car for a long while sets people back in a similar way but once you're behind the wheel again you'll soon notice you're doing things automatically and without thinking.

Meanwhile I'm finally feeling better. Of course I would be ill the whole weekend. Of course. I've re-read half the bookshelf of manga and watched Ponyo and I'm still feeling so bored. Having a cold is probably the most boring thing to do ever. :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13895 on: February 08, 2016, 05:57:15 AM »
Double-post to give a slow headshake to this invention. Finland why. I kinda want to try that though.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13896 on: February 08, 2016, 07:45:48 AM »
I was thinking I was late in what I had to do outside today, still in the house, but it was before the deluge and hail. Finally, being inside and late is fine.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13897 on: February 08, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
I really don't want to fly to Cleveland tomorrow.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13898 on: February 08, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
Double-post to give a slow headshake to this invention. Finland why. I kinda want to try that though.

That looks like FUN!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13899 on: February 08, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
Wow! I want to try that!!  ;D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13900 on: February 08, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
Ottawa canal is being opened up again tomorrow! It's been closed for about a week now. Hopefully it will stay open longer this time.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #13901 on: February 09, 2016, 01:17:20 AM »
Does anyone on here use Peach? I'd love to add more friends there!
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13902 on: February 09, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
Ottawa canal is being opened up again tomorrow! It's been closed for about a week now. Hopefully it will stay open longer this time.

That's great! I'm glad things haven't completely, like, melted over there.

Q, mate, what's Peach? (Yes I could go look it up, but I am wayyyy too lazy, you know this)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #13903 on: February 09, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »
Quote from: Yuuago
Q, mate, what's Peach? (Yes I could go look it up, but I am wayyyy too lazy, you know this)

A new social media app, it's like Twitter but you can only view one person's posts at a time and you *have* to be mutuals. I know it's out for iPhone but I think maybe also Android? It, uh, it does not strike me as being your kind of thing, probably.
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13904 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
It, uh, it does not strike me as being your kind of thing, probably.

* Yuuago looks over at his ancient flip-phone aaaand snrks

Yeaaahh you know me too well. Anyway - we do have a social media share thread* but I don't remember anyone mentioning that particular one (it sounds pretty new?). Sounds neat though - the mutual requirement in particular sounds nice (but you know I'm sometimes picky about filtering, so).
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge