Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410581 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13860 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:38 AM »
Ok, so our GPS-following tourist Noel got lost again trying to find his way with the GPS. This time he was trying to find the Blue Lagoon spa but ended up somewhere else, coincidentally crashing a Blue Lagoon staff meeting...

Are you sure it wasn't on purpose this time?  ???
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13861 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Could the world stop with Valentine's Day ? No ? Pfff...

If I had someone to celebrate it with I'd still ignore it.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13862 on: February 05, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't on purpose this time?  ???

Well, he said this time the GPS really did mislead him but... who knows. In any case someone should make a movie about this guy already.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13863 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »
Well, he said this time the GPS really did mislead him but... who knows. In any case someone should make a movie about this guy already.

But nobody would be able to find the cinema because they'd all be following their GPS

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13864 on: February 05, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »
But nobody would be able to find the cinema because they'd all be following their GPS

Icelanders as a whole would be rather safe, GPS aren't that popular here far as I know. Maps are sometimes used but most of the time confusing, vague instructions and sheer luck is seen as a good substitute... and let's just say getting a few hundred kilometres lost while trying to find one's way in Reykjavík isn't really such a common problem here. :D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #13865 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »
If I had someone to celebrate it with I'd still ignore it.
Same for me, but it's everywhere ! *Tired of all these commercial little hearts and people assuming that, of course, you (had to) celebrate it*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13866 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
Same for me, but it's everywhere ! *Tired of all these commercial little hearts and people assuming that, of course, you (had to) celebrate it*

I'm immune to most advertising, to the point where I often don't even notice it exists.  (The exception is Christmas advertising, since it's a holiday that (being Jewish) I really DON'T celebrate but it's assumed that I care about it)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13867 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
Most likely, but you'll have to come up with something new and unbelievable and go through some amount of trouble and embarrassment. Once your "suffering in Iceland"-quota is full you gain full sympathy points!
[plans to ask people to borrow a shovel while holding a London Underground map with a "what the!?" face when visiting Reykjavík]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13868 on: February 05, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
[plans to ask people to borrow a shovel while holding a London Underground map with a "what the!?" face when visiting Reykjavík]

I knew I should've made that left turn in Albuquerque!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13869 on: February 05, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
The Nordic Hel is quite different to the Christian Hell, but this map of Hellish Place Names in Norway is still pretty cool.
"Go to hell, but be sure to BYO."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13870 on: February 05, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »

I want to see this please take pictures!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13871 on: February 05, 2016, 10:47:28 PM »
Mélusine, Valentine's day is terribly commercial these years. So being a good pagan, I leave festivities of love until the second of August, which is the equivalent festival in the southern hemisphere, and not altogether coincidentally one of our two wedding anniversaries. (We have two because we married twice, to accomodate the faiths of the two sets of relatives.) In the north of the world it would be February 2. I celebrate it by cooking something my beloved really enjoys, and I try to write a new sonnet for him every year. I think buying stuff for a celebration of love defeats the whole purpose of the celebration.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13872 on: February 05, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Could the world stop with Valentine's Day ? No ? Pfff...

Mélu, would it console you at all to celebrate it SSSS-style?  (This discussion reminded me that last year clever Minnions came up with wonderfully funny Valentines!)
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=800.0
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13873 on: February 06, 2016, 03:33:34 AM »
For some reason Finns didn't quite get the point of Valentine's Day and instead celebrate Friends' Day: it of course has a romantic side to it but from my childhood I remember cards were given to friends as well. I agree with Róisín though, buying stuff for a celebration of romantic love kind of goes against the spirit of the day.

Meanwhile I'm having a horrible cold. What a good little worker I am, getting ill for the weekend...

Mélusine

« Reply #13874 on: February 06, 2016, 04:39:28 AM »
Mélu, would it console you at all to celebrate it SSSS-style?  (This discussion reminded me that last year clever Minnions came up with wonderfully funny Valentines!)
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=800.0
Oh, I'm not sad, just a little irritated when I see too much of commercial stuff.
But you've made a great job last year ! :D Thank for the link ! ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: