Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387465 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13830 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
Try hiding under the bed until it's over. Or in a closet. And if there's wifi, you're all set.

I find sitting on the roof works quite well, if you can stretch a charging cord through the window. And if it isn't raining.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #13831 on: February 03, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »
I find sitting on the roof works quite well, if you can stretch a charging cord through the window. And if it isn't raining.

I once escaped a pub through the back door, climbed the roof and sat there like the Caped Crusader in the rain. It improved the evening considerably, and the best part is nobody ever saw me although people kept passing by.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13832 on: February 03, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
I once escaped a pub through the back door, climbed the roof and sat there like the Caped Crusader in the rain. It improved the evening considerably, and the best part is nobody ever saw me although people kept passing by.

On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there, the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13833 on: February 03, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »
Try hiding under the bed until it's over. Or in a closet. And if there's wifi, you're all set.
So, saying "I have to go to jujutsu, bye bye !" works too, nobody look at the hour I'm leaving. But I like your proposition, Luth :) Give me a tree, a good book, and I could be fine during hours.

I... can completely understand that. Even the "being under the rain" part.
*Now wonders if she could do the same here*

Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

« Reply #13834 on: February 03, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
That sounds like an enormous amount of fun. I wasn't to do this now, but I'm in school... (Fun Fact: The thing most said to me by teachers over the years is "Ethan! Get down from there!")

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Mélusine

« Reply #13835 on: February 03, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
(Fun Fact: The thing most said to me by teachers over the years is "Ethan! Get down from there!")
But why ? ^^ Climbing is so funny :D *Wants to do one of these courses in trees, it's been a too long time since the last one*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

« Reply #13836 on: February 03, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
But why ? ^^ Climbing is so funny :D *Wants to do one of these courses in trees, it's been a too long time since the last one*
I know! but apparently it's dangerous and if I hurt myself the school is liable for my injuries or some stupid legal thing like that...

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13837 on: February 03, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »
There's a railroad bridge - well, actually a set of them - going over a street in Cologne that isn't even on the main grid, and for whatever reason (other than the bridges being a bit lower than usual), non-local truck drivers keep jamming their vehicles under it; over a hundred of them until at least the lowest of the bridges was removed in 2007. The locals call it the "idiots' bridge". At some point, the size and color contrast of the signs warning the truck drivers of the low bridge would've been fit to signal "you're entering the capital now" on a highway, plus flashing lights. ::)

I live just down the road from a railway bridge which is notorious for this kind of thing. About a year ago they installed big illuminated signs but people still jam their vehicles under it, most recently yesterday.

That sounds fantastic! I think I'll start scouting out local pubs to see which have easily accessible roofs...
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #13838 on: February 03, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
One of my favorite examples of the traveling public's understanding of road signs was a picture of 2 semiliterate men standing beside their clearly overheight truck in front of a low bridge with warning signs: "I don't see any cops--let's go for it!!"
::)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #13839 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
One of my favorite examples of the traveling public's understanding of road signs was a picture of 2 semiliterate men standing beside their clearly overheight truck in front of a low bridge with warning signs: "I don't see any cops--let's go for it!!"
::)

Reminds me of the old story about the donkey and the bridge...

A man was walking through the countryside when he came across two men attacking a stone bridge from below with sledgehammers. He asked what they were doing, and they explained that they needed to get their donkey under the bridge, but his ears were too long, so they needed to take a chunk out of it to get him through. The man asked why they didn't just dig a trench in the path instead of damaging the bridge. The two men patiently explained that it wasn't the donkey's legs that were too long, it was his ears.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13840 on: February 03, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
There's an old stone railway bridge in a small town between where we live and the city that is notorious for getting those two-level tour buses stuck under it. Several times the historic bridge has been in danger of demolition when that has happened, until some genius came up with the idea of lowering the roadbed under it a little. That was expensive, sure, but a lot cheaper and more acceptable than destroying the bridge would have been. Possibly inspired by the other genius who freed a stuck bus by partially deflating the tyres.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #13841 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:57 PM »
There's an old stone railway bridge in a small town between where we live and the city that is notorious for getting those two-level tour buses stuck under it.

We have another notorious rail bridge in West Perth. Some years back someone got rather drunk and decided it would be fun to go for a nighttime joyride in a old London double decker bus that a company used for tourist runs around the city. All went well for them until they tried to take it under the West Perth bridge, at which point they peeled the top off the bus like a sardine can before getting well and truly  wedged.

The tour company recovered the bus and - rather than replace the roof - decided to make the top level open air :)

Edit: Found a photo!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:14:15 PM by Purple Wyrm »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13842 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »
Yeah, heard about that one at the time. Hysterical.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13843 on: February 04, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
In four days' time we're going to be having Bolludagur over here, a holiday for, well, eating bollur. They're a bakery product thing a lot like profiteroles/cream puffs, delicious and filled with so many yummy things and whipped cream. Of course they're already selling them at the bakeries and of course I'm eating some every day... I'll probably put on a few kilos before the week is over but no regrets!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13844 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:13 AM »
In four days' time we're going to be having Bolludagur over here, a holiday for, well, eating bollur. They're a bakery product thing a lot like profiteroles/cream puffs, delicious and filled with so many yummy things and whipped cream. Of course they're already selling them at the bakeries and of course I'm eating some every day... I'll probably put on a few kilos before the week is over but no regrets!

Aaahhhh noooooo not fairrrrr *grabby hands*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help