Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410420 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1320 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
Ah, I need a job. I'm 19 and don't even do anything useful at home. I really need a job.
Maybe a neighbourhood/local job like gardening for old people with bad backs, or babysitting? Or were you wanting a job job? :/ grocery stores and supermarkets usually employ new people? Unless you hate shops.....hmmm. A pet shop? :D maybe you'd have to be more qualified hmmmmmm...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1321 on: November 12, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
Swimming is the best form of exercise.

Whaaaat? Nonsense, Humans are terrestial mammals, and as such running is the best excercise there is! Injuries? Bah, I've had almost every running-related injury there is, but that doesn't stop me.

On that note I got an unpleasant surprise yesterday. Turns out the cloudless nights are now cold enough for radiation frost to form on valley floors after sunset. So yesterday, as I was running downhill on an asphalt road I suddenly noticed that the road was all shiny. And that was when I suddenly started sliding down the road like Goofy on the ski jump and ended up tumbling downhill. Curse you asphalt, your abrasiveness is a thing of evil!

I think there's some sort of weird detention room in America, but I dunno.

I just have to link to this episode again... "Pool jail".

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1322 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
Whaaaat? Nonsense, Humans are terrestial mammals, and as such running is the best excercise there is! Injuries? Bah, I've had almost every running-related injury there is, but that doesn't stop me.

On that note I got an unpleasant surprise yesterday. Turns out the cloudless nights are now cold enough for radiation frost to form on valley floors after sunset. So yesterday, as I was running downhill on an asphalt road I suddenly noticed that the road was all shiny. And that was when I suddenly started sliding down the road like Goofy on the ski jump and ended up tumbling downhill. Curse you asphalt, your abrasiveness is a thing of evil!

I just have to link to this episode again... "Pool jail".

Running is gorgeous but whether it's the best there will always be arguments about. If you keep moving, it is fine. I am just to lazy driving to a public swimming pool, changing, showering, swimming, showering, changing, driving home, so that is why I like running more. But we have a nice wood around and if you want to run more than 10 kilometers you just run from village to village and backwards. That is nice.

Hm, we don't have real detention here, but sometimes pupils have to do work other's did regularly during their lessons or as homework so they are able to catch up. And my boys, hmm, the days where no one has to be outside at least for five minutes are rare. But if they could behave better, I would be without a job ;).

Edith: I had to stay "late" today because one of the taxi drivers refused to take one of the kids home. He just kept on screaming at the driver, called him swear words and afterwards stated that he was the victim of being treated unfair. He had not realised that the others had kept quiet during his rage.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:08:15 AM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1323 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
Completely unrelated and random:

Look at what I found on my computer while I was searching something else: an old poem! It's a bit... crazy, now that I look at it. And it has no name.

I'm stepping on the edge between the worlds of being and breathing
I'm walking with my eyes closed
Smelling the scent of nothing of one side and tasting fresh air of the other
I'm dancing on tiptoes
Which side am I to fall?

The winds are dancing with the leaves
Whispering whirlwinds...
But I'm not light enough to dance on the clouds
If only my thoughts could fly higher, all tangled up with my hair
The winds are dancing, always dancing...
But I'm not strong enough to jump and not deft enough to climb
If only my thoughts could fly higher
So I would dance on the wind and touch the stars in darkened blue

You who know my every thing
Will you come to lift me up?
Will you come to carry me, until the end appears before us, and further across?
Will you carry me...

I'm stepping on the edge between the worlds of being and breathing
I'm running with my eyes closed
Smelling the scent of dreams of one side and tasting fresh air of the other
I'm dancing on tiptoes alongside the winds are always dancing
Alongside I am to fall
And burst into feathers so being caught

Do the winds sleep at night?

I searched for a general poem thread, but there is none and now it's here.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1324 on: November 12, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
Running is gorgeous but whether it's the best there will always be arguments about. If you keep moving, it is fine. I am just to lazy driving to a public swimming pool, changing, showering, swimming, showering, changing, driving home, so that is why I like running more. But we have a nice wood around and if you want to run more than 10 kilometers you just run from village to village and backwards. That is nice.

Good points really, way too much time is wasted on doing other things (the whole getting there and getting dressed/undressed for it) when it comes to swimming. Do some push-ups or have some sessions of rowing at some point in the week and you've pretty much covered all the bases (although cardio by definition has little to do with which body parts you use during the excercise).

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1325 on: November 12, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
I'm still trying to understand this detention thing. How does it work? Over her teachers either write a short note to the parents or make the students write things over and over. Last year one of my former classmates had to write "Dear parents of Enrico, your son must understand that he is in a school, in a classroom, not in a park full of flowers, and thus he cannot simply throw things at his classmate [nameIdontremember] in a diagonal line across the class" for like.... Three or four pages.

And you should go swimming just for fun! You won't magically get in shape if you don't do anything!

Yes! Paint the evil trees!

Doesn't Christmas break last two weeks everywhere?

Hmm... I'm pretty sure it's illegal for teachers to do that here. We do have detention, though. I know my mom is a teacher and she once gave a bunch of students detention when they outright refused to write their essays. I think she had them write their essays during detention. I'm not sure, though.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1326 on: November 12, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

Around here we call that "black ice", and in a car it is eeeeeeeeeeeeevil. You can't see it until it's too late! Luckily most of the drivers around here are very experienced at getting around in snowy conditions, so there's not as many wrecks from it as you might expect. Give them some good rain though and they'll be hydroplaning all over the road...

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1327 on: November 12, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Asphalt is a badass that's true. But all my injuries where caused by pebbles. I hate pebbles. Ok, sometimes I like throwing them in lakes. If the direction they move is away from me I'm fine with that ;).

"black ice" is a nice term though.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1328 on: November 12, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Maybe a neighbourhood/local job like gardening for old people with bad backs, or babysitting? Or were you wanting a job job? :/ grocery stores and supermarkets usually employ new people? Unless you hate shops.....hmmm. A pet shop? :D maybe you'd have to be more qualified hmmmmmm...

Do you have any clue how many people want jobs at pet shops? I'm not even gonna try. I was thinking grocery store or, uh, Norwegian Public Roads Administration (statens vegvesen). They were apparently enthusiastic about part-timers.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1329 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
Do you have any clue how many people want jobs at pet shops? I'm not even gonna try. I was thinking grocery store or, uh, Norwegian Public Roads Administration (statens vegvesen). They were apparently enthusiastic about part-timers.

You mean the satanic council of infrastructural collapse (or perhaps they have a better reputation in the South-East).

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1330 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
If you would live around here, I could offer a job at the local post...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1331 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
You mean the satanic council of infrastructural collapse (or perhaps they have a better reputation in the South-East).

Yup, that's them.

Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1332 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »
If you would live around here, I could offer a job at the local post...

In Hessen (Mid Germany) the local post offices paid students to work like some "well paid" slaves. In comparison to fetching Newspapers at last the payment was fine.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1333 on: November 12, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Whaaaat? Nonsense, Humans are terrestrial mammals, and as such running is the best exercise there is! Injuries? Bah, I've had almost every running-related injury there is, but that doesn't stop me.

Wow, you really ARE Sigrun, aren't you?  (Reminds self never to go jogging with Fimbulvarg.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1334 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
Wow, you really ARE Sigrun, aren't you?  (Reminds self never to go jogging with Fimbulvarg.)

Hmm, well, I've done that as well, so maybe it's just a Norwegian thing...
 Mostly quiet.