Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409202 times)

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1305 on: November 11, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
(When I die, please cremate my remains)
I'll try to take care of that.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1306 on: November 11, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »
Emoticon flags are a thing now.  Go to the improvements thread in the Forum and Site Board and check the original post if you want to know how to use them.
Ta Eich, that's really nifty!

General Discussion:
Now that exams are over, and classes have finished for the year, I keep feeling like I should be doing study or something! It's like procrastination and approaching due date type stress!! My brain must be confused or something.....
I decided that for my holiday I would try to get in shape and get back in touch with all my art supplies- I haven't made anything aaaaallll year and there's a huge pile of empty canvases in the corner of my room. I don't usually work on canvas, they don't mix with oil pastels well for me, but I've run out of black paper ;___; ANYWHO, I'd decided how I wanted to spend my holiday, and discussed it with a someone in the city, and I got a HUGE LECTURE about how I should go get a job because their spoiled only daughter had been working since she was 13 and she's learning to drive and she's so successful etc and I told her that I do work nearly full-time at home (for no pay because it's family) and she was like "Oh, honey..." Disapprovingly and I swear....if I wasn't so comfy in my chair I would've stood up and...and...I don't know, stolen her glasses or something... :/ (she was standing riiiiight over me, it was really uncomfortable) but...but....blargh.
*sigh* am I a failure of a twenty year old? Or was that lady just weird?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:38:23 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1307 on: November 11, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »
General Discussion:
Now that exams are over, and classes have finished for the year, I keep feeling like I should be doing study or something! It's like procrastination and approaching due date type stress!! My brain must be confused or something.....
I decided that for my holiday I would try to get in shape and get back in touch with all my art supplies- I haven't made anything aaaaallll year and there's a huge pile of empty canvases in the corner of my room. I don't usually work on canvas, they don't mix with oil pastels well for me, but I've run out of black paper ;___; ANYWHO, I'd decided how I wanted to spend my holiday, and discussed it with a someone in the city, and I got a HUGE LECTURE about how I should go get a job because their spoiled only daughter had been working since she was 13 and she's learning to drive and she's so successful etc and I told her that I do work nearly full-time at home (for no pay because it's family) and she was like "Oh, honey..." Disapprovingly and I swear....if I wasn't so comfy in my chair I would've stood up and...and...I don't know, stolen her glasses or something... :/ (she was standing riiiiight over me, it was really uncomfortable) but...but....blargh.

No, you're not a failure! *virtual hugs* That lady was just being weird and probably not really understanding and also probably being too proud of her daughter. And I'm sorry I'm really bad at this whole putting sympathy into words that don't sound wrong

I can sort of talk about art stuff, though. Do you normally work with oil pastels?

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1308 on: November 11, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »

Kind of related to school and exams and stuff: There is this one teacher that I had in 6th grade who was REALLY scary. Like, Dragon Lady scary. (I got a detention for throwing away a tissue) I don't see her much anymore, which is awesome, but whenever I do I always freeze like a deer in the headlights and I go "Oh god. Oh god. She sees me, I know she looked at me. She's going to pull up some obscure thing from 6th Grade, she's gonna send it to the high school, I'm gonna get suspended, Oh god. She's walking towards me! AAAAH!" And then I run away at top speed. Any of you had/have a teacher like that?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1309 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
Ta Eich, that's really nifty!

General Discussion:
Well, she's a... not nice word.  Forget about her.  From what I gather, you work at least twice as hard as I do, on your farm.  She could do with an eye opener or two... or maybe an eye closer or two... black eye joke.  I'm a little tired. 
Anyway, believe it or not, I decided I was going to do the exact same two things over my summer break, in addition to playing more guitar.  None of them happened, not even the guitar.  I did start back drawing a little bit once the semester started again, and tried working out for a while, but *big sigh* I just can't be bothered sometimes.  I wasn't even employed, I just wanted to have one last vacation before I had to officially be an adult for the rest of my life.  It's not like drawing and exercise would have made that vacation less enjoyable, or anything, I just didn't want to.  Don't do what I did, OrigamiOwl!  Be a good 20 year old and work out and draw!

Kind of related to school and exams and stuff: There is this one teacher that I had in 6th grade who was REALLY scary. Like, Dragon Lady scary. (I got a detention for throwing away a tissue) I don't see her much anymore, which is awesome, but whenever I do I always freeze like a deer in the headlights and I go "Oh god. Oh god. She sees me, I know she looked at me. She's going to pull up some obscure thing from 6th Grade, she's gonna send it to the high school, I'm gonna get suspended, Oh god. She's walking towards me! AAAAH!" And then I run away at top speed. Any of you had/have a teacher like that?
Nope.  I had one really bad punishment teacher once, but for some reason she never noticed me doing anything stupid.  She gave my friend a detention for sneezing (hilariously close to your predicament), but I would get up and chill out at the back of the room sometimes, and she wouldn't even call me out for it.  I was at a small middle school, too, so it's not like she didn't know I was a horrible nightmare-child.  All the other teachers couldn't stand me...
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1310 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:41 PM »
No, you're not a failure! *virtual hugs* That lady was just being weird and probably not really understanding and also probably being too proud of her daughter. And I'm sorry I'm really bad at this whole putting sympathy into words that don't sound wrong

I can sort of talk about art stuff, though. Do you normally work with oil pastels?
I think she was just really proud of her 17 year old daughter, since that's the only kid she has I guess :/
Yeah oil pastels are my favorite medium, with colored paper, preferably black, because I just really like how they go together :P
My grandmother bought me all these canvasses but...I don't paint! Unless it's blobby watercolour for fun. I don't know how paint works. Hehe, chalk is too dusty, pencils too precise, paint too permanent, so oil pastels are my buddies. And clay too :3
I don't know what to put on the canvasses.... Any ideas??

I had a teacher sort of like that, she was so old that she was my dad's teacher too, and was still trying to come to terms with corporeal punishment being illegal in school O___O
I wonder if she's still alive....
I've had a few weird detentions:
Age 4- hitting a kid in the face with a shovel (understandable)
6- not eating a dropped sandwich and being wasteful (there was a kid who ate food from BINS so he was probably her favorite)
10- second day of school, forgot to do the homework sheet :/
12- no crime, the teacher just wanted to see my reaction. He got in trouble with the school board :/

Well, she's a... not nice word.  Forget about her.  From what I gather, you work at least twice as hard as I do, on your farm.  She could do with an eye opener or two... or maybe an eye closer or two... black eye joke.  I'm a little tired. 
Anyway, believe it or not, I decided I was going to do the exact same two things over my summer break, in addition to playing more guitar.  None of them happened, not even the guitar.  I did start back drawing a little bit once the semester started again, and tried working out for a while, but *big sigh* I just can't be bothered sometimes.  I wasn't even employed, I just wanted to have one last vacation before I had to officially be an adult for the rest of my life.  It's not like drawing and exercise would have made that vacation less enjoyable, or anything, I just didn't want to.  Don't do what I did, OrigamiOwl!  Be a good 20 year old and work out and draw!
Nope.  I had one really bad punishment teacher once, but for some reason she never noticed me doing anything stupid.  She gave my friend a detention for sneezing (hilariously close to your predicament), but I would get up and chill out at the back of the room sometimes, and she wouldn't even call me out for it.  I was at a small middle school, too, so it's not like she didn't know I was a horrible nightmare-child.  All the other teachers couldn't stand me...
Aw no! You get winter holidays right? You can still do your stuff! Right? Motivation can suck sometimes :/
I'm hoping to go do some swimming this summer because it's my favorite type of exercise (I can't sprain my ankles or trip over or get hit in the face with a ball! X'P) but there's a huge conundrum: I want to go swimming to get in shape, but I don't feel in shape enough to go swimming. Urgh! ;__; *shakes fist at the sky*

Sneezing?! Haha! Oh my gosh! X'D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:26:50 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1311 on: November 11, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »
I think she was just really proud of her 17 year old daughter, since that's the only kid she has I guess :/
Yeah oil pastels are my favorite medium, with colored paper, preferably black, because I just really like how they go together :P
My grandmother bought me all these canvasses but...I don't paint! Unless it's blobby watercolour for fun. I don't know how paint works. Hehe, chalk is too dusty, pencils too precise, paint too permanent, so oil pastels are my buddies. And clay too :3
I had a teacher sort of like that, she was so old that she was my dad's teacher too, and was still trying to come to terms with corporeal punishment being illegal in school O___O
6- not eating a dropped sandwich and being wasteful (there was a kid who ate food from BINS so he was probably her favorite)
12- no crime, the teacher just wanted to see my reaction. He got in trouble with the school board :/
Aw no! You get winter holidays right? You can still do your stuff! Right? Motivation can suck sometimes :/
I'm hoping to go do some swimming this summer because it's my favorite type of exercise (I can't sprain my ankles or trip over or get hit in the face with a ball! X'P) but there's a huge conundrum: I want to go swimming to get in shape, but I don't feel in shape enough to go swimming. Urgh! ;__; *shakes fist at the sky*

You could paint dream landscapes.  Those are always fun, especially if they're the recurring, vivid type y'all were talking about in the dreams thread.

Yes, but because of my co-op, my Christmas break is only a couple of weeks.  That's almost enough time to create a habit, just one week short... I think.  It's either one or three weeks short.  *Is still tired*  Swimming is the best form of exercise.  It's fun, it keeps you cool, it works out the entire body with cardio and resistance at the same time, and it prevents your joints from getting hurt.  The only problem for me is going to the gym.  I hate working out with people around.  It feels... weird, I dunno.  If only my parents had a pool... and a fence in the back yard... then I could swim again.  I did swim team in 7th grade, and haven't been in such good shape since.  Apparently, my coach thought I was really good, too.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I never stuck with it.  I was gonna do it again in 12th grade, but then they changed the practice time to like 6:00 a.m., instead of after school, and there was no way they were going to get me there that early (at least, they couldn't have back then).
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1312 on: November 11, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »
You could paint dream landscapes.  Those are always fun, especially if they're the recurring, vivid type y'all were talking about in the dreams thread.

Yes, but because of my co-op, my Christmas break is only a couple of weeks.  That's almost enough time to create a habit, just one week short... I think.  It's either one or three weeks short.  *Is still tired*  Swimming is the best form of exercise.  It's fun, it keeps you cool, it works out the entire body with cardio and resistance at the same time, and it prevents your joints from getting hurt.  The only problem for me is going to the gym.  I hate working out with people around.  It feels... weird, I dunno.  If only my parents had a pool... and a fence in the back yard... then I could swim again.  I did swim team in 7th grade, and haven't been in such good shape since.  Apparently, my coach thought I was really good, too.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I never stuck with it.  I was gonna do it again in 12th grade, but then they changed the practice time to like 6:00 a.m., instead of after school, and there was no way they were going to get me there that early (at least, they couldn't have back then).
Aw that's too bad :/

My younger cousin does hard core swimming and gets up at 4 to get to the pool at 5 and trains til school starts in the morning O___O I think he's trying to train for either the youth Olympics or the commonwealth games maybe. I don't know if the actual Olympics are his goal. They probably are :S

I used to do the swim team thing too, *high five!* but I didn't really know what was actually going on, I wasn't really switched on to non-valley stuff, so it was like "huh? Bring my swim gear tomorrow? Ok...?" The next day "why are we getting on the bus?" ..."Excuse me, are we swimming today? There are heaps of schools here..." ... "What's freestyle? Oh! The normal style? Ok I guess..." *on the starting block* "WaitaMINUTEISTHISA R A C E?! Oh god!"
I think I stopped doing the swim team thing because I forgot to U////U aaaaagghhh I can never return to the local pool. Never. :P

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »
The guy might have done it for a reason, still I won't make children to eat their fallen lunch.

there's a huge conundrum: I want to go swimming to get in shape, but I don't feel in shape enough to go swimming. Urgh! ;__; *shakes fist at the sky*

One is never too out of shaped to go for a swim. It is just that little way from the changing room into the water were anybody is able to look. And you would be amazed about what people don't see because they are mostly bothered with their own looks.

And the lady with her 17 year old daughter... if she talks so much about her maybe she just wants to be praised for raising her kid. People are after praise so often while giving arrogantly advice to others.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1314 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »

I'm still trying to understand this detention thing. How does it work? Over her teachers either write a short note to the parents or make the students write things over and over. Last year one of my former classmates had to write "Dear parents of Enrico, your son must understand that he is in a school, in a classroom, not in a park full of flowers, and thus he cannot simply throw things at his classmate [nameIdontremember] in a diagonal line across the class" for like.... Three or four pages.

And you should go swimming just for fun! You won't magically get in shape if you don't do anything!

Yes, but because of my co-op, my Christmas break is only a couple of weeks.  That's almost enough time to create a habit, just one week short... I think.  It's either one or three weeks short.

Yes! Paint the evil trees!

Doesn't Christmas break last two weeks everywhere?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1315 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:41 AM »

Our Christmas break coincides with our summer break, so it can be anywhere from six weeks to more than two months, depending.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1316 on: November 12, 2014, 05:49:32 AM »
I'm still trying to understand this detention thing. How does it work? Over her teachers either write a short note to the parents or make the students write things over and over. Last year one of my former classmates had to write "Dear parents of Enrico, your son must understand that he is in a school, in a classroom, not in a park full of flowers, and thus he cannot simply throw things at his classmate [nameIdontremember] in a diagonal line across the class" for like.... Three or four pages.

And you should go swimming just for fun! You won't magically get in shape if you don't do anything!

Yes! Paint the evil trees!

I think there's some sort of weird detention room in America, but I dunno.
Here they make you sit on a bench outside at the lunch breaks, you're not allowed to talk to people, leave the bench for any reason without a teacher escorting you, (while the teacher on duty can see you that is ;P) and you have to fill in a form about what you did and how that made you and the affected people feel etc. you're basically put on display in front of the whole school as they go about their lunch business and playing. It's pretty depressing. And probably outdated but that's how it was at my primary school :/
Once I was visiting some buddies on the bench after buying some terrible-tasting "vitamin yogurt drops" that I thought was white chocolate but was sadly mistaken- they tasted horrible. Anyway, one of the boys I really didn't like came past, and demanded some chocolate. So I have him some, I was generous, and he shoved it all in his mouth. He fell to the ground screaming and clutching his throat. I'm not even kidding. He then ran to the bathroom and threw up. And we got in trouble for making too much noise near the bench. But it was wooooorth it. Ahhhh....childhood memories... >;3

Dream pictures sounds like a cool idea!
I'm not sure how long they are for working people, but for me it's about......until late February? 8D

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #1317 on: November 12, 2014, 06:14:22 AM »
ANYWHO, I'd decided how I wanted to spend my holiday, and discussed it with a someone in the city, and I got a HUGE LECTURE about how I should go get a job because their spoiled only daughter had been working since she was 13 and she's learning to drive and she's so successful etc and I told her that I do work nearly full-time at home (for no pay because it's family) and she was like "Oh, honey..." Disapprovingly
From those quotes (alone), I suspect that she meant to dismiss "family work" as in "money, OTOH, you can keep for yourself". If so, congratulations to her for a fully dysfunctional social life. :-\

There are, however, situations where earning money to support your family is more important and/or effective than being with them in person ... :(
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1318 on: November 12, 2014, 06:46:04 AM »
There are, however, situations where earning money to support your family is more important and/or effective than being with them in person ... :(

Hmmm I hear ya.
It's just that I can't get a job until I get my proper drivers license, and I can't get that without lessons, and I can't pay for the lessons unless I do farm work to help save up and or earn everyone some spare time to teach me themselves :/
Plus, my cv only has farm stuff and fete stall minding and art comps on it. And it also doesn't really exist in physical form :P I'll try to make one/update it in my holiday! :O
Hahaha *cue impossible task music*

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1319 on: November 12, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
Hmmm I hear ya.
It's just that I can't get a job until I get my proper drivers license, and I can't get that without lessons, and I can't pay for the lessons unless I do farm work to help save up and or earn everyone some spare time to teach me themselves :/
Plus, my cv only has farm stuff and fete stall minding and art comps on it. And it also doesn't really exist in physical form :P I'll try to make one/update it in my holiday! :O
Hahaha *cue impossible task music*

Ah, I need a job. I'm 19 and don't even do anything useful at home. I really need a job.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk: