Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2564056 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13680 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
Anyway, unrelated: I came across someone who said "being a beta reader is like watching sausage get made". And at first I was like "what" but the more I think of it, the more it seems to fit....
*Frowns, tilts* I... assume I'm still at the "what" part ???
Anyway, speaking about that, I'm one a break with the long novel from which I'm the beta reader ! It's... nearly a relief, even if I feel bad for thinking that :-[
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13681 on: January 22, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
*Frowns, tilts* I... assume I'm still at the "what" part ???
Anyway, speaking about that, I'm one a break with the long novel from which I'm the beta reader ! It's... nearly a relief, even if I feel bad for thinking that :-[

/laughs
Well, the way I see it, it's like - it's probably messy and not necessarily pleasant, but you know that with some work the end result will be delicious. :'D
Though I admit that the one you've been talking about working on sounds a lot more challenging than the stuff I usually handle. It's good that you're taking a break. < 3
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13682 on: January 22, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
/laughs
Well, the way I see it, it's like - it's probably messy and not necessarily pleasant, but you know that with some work the end result will be delicious. :'D
Though I admit that the one you've been talking about working on sounds a lot more challenging than the stuff I usually handle. It's good that you're taking a break. < 3

There's that old quote about respecting the law and loving sausage.

I am still processing the fact that today, in the meagre light of early dawn, while sleepily making my way from bus stop to campus, someone did the honest-to-gods NARUTO RUN past me at full speed. Startled as I was, not expecting anyone above the age of 18 to commit to such activities - especially before 8am - I do not disapprove of their decision. Go. Live your dream, you ninja wannabe.

So, for those of use who've not really seen the anime (my kids used to watch it before I moved to Switzerland, so we're talking 2006 or 2007), what's the defining characteristic of the Naruto Run as opposed to some other type of running?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13683 on: January 22, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
So, for those of use who've not really seen the anime (my kids used to watch it before I moved to Switzerland, so we're talking 2006 or 2007), what's the defining characteristic of the Naruto Run as opposed to some other type of running?
I haven't seen the anime either, but I have... a lot of weeaboo friends........ in high school.................. it's also completely googleable, just saying. BUT YEAH  it's when someone runs by leaning their upper body forwards, place their arms straight behind them, and, uh, run. according to one of my high school weeaboo friends it feels totally faster than normal running. the person who ran past me today also had a pretty long, black jacket so i guess it gave a ninja-y feeling.
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #13684 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »
/laughs
I understand it too, but I'll assume my vision is more... less... sausage... ^^
I have to admit I'm tired with the first novel's problems, but it's a first novel so "normal", I made the same, he's supposed to work on that, so it should evolve No. The other problem is how HUGE the novel is, and that, with all the tact I have, I'm still not able to make him understand it's not possible and too slow and long. Last time I told him, he answered something that "I had no idea how long a chapter should be so I took example on Harry Potter and try to have as much words in every chapter." T_T *Sometimes desperate* *Decides it's time for more tea*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13685 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
I came across someone who said "being a beta reader is like watching sausage get made".

Wait till you see the fanart

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13686 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
I haven't seen the anime either, but I have... a lot of weeaboo friends........ in high school.................. it's also completely googleable, just saying. BUT YEAH  it's when someone runs by leaning their upper body forwards, place their arms straight behind them, and, uh, run. according to one of my high school weeaboo friends it feels totally faster than normal running. the person who ran past me today also had a pretty long, black jacket so i guess it gave a ninja-y feeling.

Weeaboo is my brand-new never-before-heard word of the day.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13687 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
Weeaboo is my brand-new never-before-heard word of the day.
I am 900% certain I introduced Sunflower to this very term half a year ago or something. Not sure if you want a definition or not - in short it's people obsessed with anime/manga who also mimic a lot of japanese culture or what they believe to be japanese culture. people have assumed me to be a weeaboo since 2008 although I didn't really start watching any anime outside studio ghibli before 2011. 

unrelated question, my norwegian friends are finding a lot of really odd facebook events, like "course in filling a glass of water", "course in opening doors", "evening course in communicating with minerals", "course in picking peppers off pizzas"... they are finding a LOT of them. is this something all countries have or is this some kind of DADA brand of norwegian humour we discovered today, or
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #13688 on: January 22, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
I managed to schedule a tumblr post but now I've made a change that I want to edit in and I can't access the post even though I'm trying to follow tumblrs step by step instruction on how to do so. Hmf. I guess I'll just have to ninja-grab the post and edit it when it goes up.

And watching sausages being made sounds messy buh .. I was going to say fun but then I got stuck on the mental image. Hm. It does actually look pretty cool when they're hand made by someone who knows what they're doing.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #13689 on: January 22, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
unrelated question, my norwegian friends are finding a lot of really odd facebook events, like "course in filling a glass of water", "course in opening doors", "evening course in communicating with minerals", "course in picking peppers off pizzas"... they are finding a LOT of them. is this something all countries have or is this some kind of DADA brand of norwegian humour we discovered today, or

Dunno, but some of them sound like ones I'd sign up for!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #13690 on: January 22, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
I managed to schedule a tumblr post but now I've made a change that I want to edit in and I can't access the post even though I'm trying to follow tumblrs step by step instruction on how to do so. Hmf. I guess I'll just have to ninja-grab the post and edit it when it goes up.

If you go to your queue in the sidebar, you should be able to click the little gear icon next to "post" and an option to edit should come up? I think.

Mélusine

« Reply #13691 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Hello Sunflower, RandomTexasReader and the other fans of Boulet ^^
http://www.editions-delcourt.fr/bouletmaton/

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13692 on: January 23, 2016, 12:07:40 AM »
Yay Boulet! Great find, Mélusine!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

« Reply #13693 on: January 23, 2016, 04:35:22 AM »
Yay Boulet! Great find, Mélusine!
To be honest, a part of my fb friends had suddenly an avatar "made by Boulet", so I was suspecting something. Before losing ten minutes to make mine ^^

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #13694 on: January 23, 2016, 04:39:02 AM »
If you go to your queue in the sidebar, you should be able to click the little gear icon next to "post" and an option to edit should come up? I think.
I never actually found the queue in the sidebar, I looked and looked but it stayed hidden. But I've edited my post now, as it has gone up now (it was the birthday gift for Haiz)