Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387497 times)

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13605 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:13 PM »
Last time I was visiting a foreign country for work, I'd sometimes set out my door with the thought 'Operation: Get Hopelessly Lost.' :D
Did you manage? Getting lost on purpose is difficult :D
Did you find something nice?
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13606 on: January 18, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
Did you manage? Getting lost on purpose is difficult :D
Did you find something nice?

I managed a few times. Mostly I just like to walk and look at stuff anyway, so yeah, I do remember finding this nice little footbridge where I just stood for awhile and stared down into the water.

(It's really awkward being asked for directions though. "Um... sorry but I don't speak the language, and I kind of got lost on purpose?")
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13607 on: January 18, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »
(It's really awkward being asked for directions though. "Um... sorry but I don't speak the language, and I kind of got lost on purpose?")
Hahaha! :D
Something similar happened to me once.
I just stood there and took pictures of a very obviously touristy monument.
Another foreigner walked by and asked me what it was. I stared at her, then at the building, shrugged and continued to take photos. :P It was terribly embarrassing. To this day, I have no idea what it was ::)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13608 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
Hahaha! :D
Something similar happened to me once.
Another foreigner walked by and asked me what it was. I stared at her, then at the building, shrugged and continued to take photos. :P It was terribly embarrassing. To this day, I have no idea what it was ::)

Another fun one to do at restaurants is point at a random item on the menu and say "I'll have that!" Granted, there are places in the world I would not do this and I can only get away with it because I don't have any food allergies.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13609 on: January 18, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »

Post the pictures! We might be able to enlighten you.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13610 on: January 18, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
Post the pictures! We might be able to enlighten you.
Impossible, unfortunately!
They are analogue photographs and several thousand kilometers removed from here at home, at that :)
I can't even remember, what the building looked like, because I was eleven and that means it was a good twelve years ago.
The only thing I can remember is the embarrassment  :-[

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13611 on: January 19, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »
I used to do the 'wander out at random and see where I wind up' thing in foreign countries. Results were varied, ranging from beautiful and interesting things I would otherwise never have found to serious physical danger. But I never got lost but a few times - my sense of direction is excellent and it's automatic to be aware of my backtrail.

The times I did get lost, all but one involved huge shopping centres or underground car parks, and it was really scary. The common factor seemed to be that I couldn't see the sky. My husband calls it 'getting malled'.

The one other time I got lost, I could see the sky well enough but it didn't help. I was in the very remote outback, and hit one of those areas where -  direction becomes meaningless - is the best I can explain it. Never figured out why. So I just followed a gully until it led into a bigger gully, then followed that, and eventually came to somewhere that made sense and where directions worked normally. To this day I've never understood the mechanism, it was weird, and I suspect panicking would have been a really bad idea.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13612 on: January 19, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »
Oy, being mistaken for someone that would give directions (or even worse, a local) = always... interesting. That happened to me several times while I was in Stockholm and I was so very weirded out. Apparently I look like I know where I'm going/what I'm doing, even when that's not so much the case? So very strange.

The one other time I got lost, I could see the sky well enough but it didn't help. I was in the very remote outback, and hit one of those areas where -  direction becomes meaningless - is the best I can explain it. Never figured out why. So I just followed a gully until it led into a bigger gully, then followed that, and eventually came to somewhere that made sense and where directions worked normally. To this day I've never understood the mechanism, it was weird, and I suspect panicking would have been a really bad idea.

Holy - that sounds really scary. o_o Good thing you didn't panic!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13613 on: January 19, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »
Another fun one to do at restaurants is point at a random item on the menu and say "I'll have that!" Granted, there are places in the world I would not do this and I can only get away with it because I don't have any food allergies.
Hmm, that is too adventurous for me. If I can't at least guess what's in it, I'm not going to order it.
(No, I do not eat burgers and sausages or weird looking purees, creams or sauces, why?)
But I can imagine surprising yourself that way being quite fun!

I used to do the 'wander out at random and see where I wind up' thing in foreign countries. Results were varied, ranging from beautiful and interesting things I would otherwise never have found to serious physical danger. But I never got lost but a few times - my sense of direction is excellent and it's automatic to be aware of my backtrail.

The times I did get lost, all but one involved huge shopping centres or underground car parks, and it was really scary. The common factor seemed to be that I couldn't see the sky. My husband calls it 'getting malled'.

My sense of direction is horrendous. Despite this, I have always somehow managed to find the place I wanted to go to, eventually.
Well, there was one time (it was in the forest), when it was absolutely hopeless. I inadvertently managed to miss the spot by 15 kilometers and although I had ended up in a place I knew, I was too exhausted to walk back the whole way... My parents kindly fetched me.
But If I have the chance, I'd really rather not navigate. I feel I'm always so overcome by the details that I can't keep track of the whole picture. I could tell what a certain crack in a wall looks like, the pattern on the surface of a house, a leaf on the street, but reconstructing where I came from is a hopeless endeavor.
In cities there are also a lot of people and while I have gotten used to it a bit (I don't internally freak out anymore if someone approaches me from the front - i.e. our shoulders are parallel - or comes within a certain radius of my body) but it really distracts my brain.
I also have huge difficulties finding things I am looking for in general. It's like my brain just cuts them out of my field of vision... ::)

I'm glad you made it out of that nonsensical place of no directions, Róisín!
If you don't mind, could you try to explain what it felt like? And what it felt like in comparison to how you normally perceive directions?
It sounds very interesting!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13614 on: January 19, 2016, 05:25:46 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but sometimes when you get lost in a forest you lose all sense of direction. You've no idea where you came from even just a moment ago and where you should be heading to, and if you panic and try to find your way out you'll just get lost worse. The trick is to climb onto higher ground or a tree and figure out your location by lakes or other marks around.

This one time I got lost in a forest with my auntie who got really scared, naturally, not knowing where we were and being responsible of someone else's kid (I was quite small back then). As a result we ended up walking in circles for a loooong time; we eventually found our way back to a little road and from there on everything made sense again, but I think my grandma's climbing advice might have got us out a little bit faster...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13615 on: January 19, 2016, 05:36:17 AM »
I have a rather good sense of direction and I love exploring new places. But of course occasionally I make mistakes - then I pull an Onni and pretend I really wanted to go to the ugliest outskirts of that town :D
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13616 on: January 19, 2016, 05:38:44 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but sometimes when you get lost in a forest you lose all sense of direction. You've no idea where you came from even just a moment ago and where you should be heading to, and if you panic and try to find your way out you'll just get lost worse.

Traditionally that kind of thing is because you're being led astray by the fairies. You can break free of their influence by taking off your coat, turning it inside out and putting it back on. Or so they say.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13617 on: January 19, 2016, 05:43:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but sometimes when you get lost in a forest you lose all sense of direction. You've no idea where you came from even just a moment ago and where you should be heading to, and if you panic and try to find your way out you'll just get lost worse. The trick is to climb onto higher ground or a tree and figure out your location by lakes or other marks around.

This one time I got lost in a forest with my auntie who got really scared, naturally, not knowing where we were and being responsible of someone else's kid (I was quite small back then). As a result we ended up walking in circles for a loooong time; we eventually found our way back to a little road and from there on everything made sense again, but I think my grandma's climbing advice might have got us out a little bit faster...
I was actually trying to do that, but that part of the forest consisted mainly of spruces and was located on the side of a (small) mountain, plus I had my horse with me and needed a way that was suitable for her as well.
When I finally found a position that was elevated enough to see what was going on around me, I was at the top of the mountain/big hill. Unfortunately went down the wrong side :P
Because my father's advice for this kind of situation had been: "Follow the water flow. And if you can't find one, go downhill."
Well, I did find a settlement ;)
Using elevation to your advantage is good advice, though.

Traditionally that kind of thing is because you're being led astray by the fairies. You can break free of their influence by taking off your coat, turning it inside out and putting it back on. Or so they say.
Now I almost want to get lost so I can try this! ;D
Do you think it works for finding lost things, as well?

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13618 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:30 AM »
My sense of direction isn't very good, but if I have no need to hurry (and a map eventually, a map helps) there are no problem. I remember Prague, last summer, and the numerous times when I was alone and wandering, thinking "I don't know where I am (even with the map) but hey, this building is beautiful !" ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13619 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
My sense of direction isn't very good, but if I have no need to hurry (and a map eventually, a map helps) there are no problem. I remember Prague, last summer, and the numerous times when I was alone and wandering, thinking "I don't know where I am (even with the map) but hey, this building is beautiful !" ::)

I'd be far more worried if I got lost in a city than in a forest, for some reason...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: