Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409439 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13470 on: January 12, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
the lecture in classical literature had FIVE students showing up! wow!!

Teacher: so the thing is that we have NO IDEA who wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey! Not even the greeks knew! Nobody knows if it was one man, two men, or a whole bunch. Maybe someone just transcribed someone's performance of homeric poetry
Me: so... Homer could have been a woman?
Teacher: yes, but
Me: it could have been TWO women?
Teacher: YES BUT IT'S NOT VERY LIKELY
Me: but not impossible
Me: : D

i also learnt that performing homeric poems was mostly improvising trojan war fanfics on the spot? cool

Have you ever read Robert Graves' Homer's Daughter?  It's basically about a 16-year-old girl in Sicily circa 800 BCE who wrote a semi-autobiographical Iliad fanfic and got it published on the Bronze Age equivalent of Tumblr as "The Odyssey." 
Thoughtful commentary on the novel:  http://theidlewoman.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/homers-daughter-robert-graves.html
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13471 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
My socks never bleed when I cut them.
* Noodly backs away slowly
I'm just gonna assume that it's for the purpose of making sock puppets.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13472 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC swallows nervously

OK, so in the weekend gap between pp 148-149, I discovered and read the entirety of SSSS to that point. That was in late July of '14.

I don't remember when I began reading the comments, but I remember the creation of this Fan-Forum, and thinking to myself, "Yeah, I'll just lurk here like I do over at the OOTS forum." I fully intended to lurk forever, but I found myself being drawn deeper into this cult community day by day.

One year ago today, after nerving myself up for maybe a week, I made an account here and a Disqus account and put my first comment up on pg 246, a "big long screed" on how the medic must have offed himself. Ironically, my sister joined at the same time, 200ish miles to my south.

This post is not an ego post, but a gratitude post. This community has been nothing but accepting since I joined, and my life is richer for being a part of it, and so I sincerely thank you all.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13473 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:57 PM »
And you, in turn, have been an ornament to the community, bringing laughter and tears aplenty with your fics, and much interesting conversation and comment as well. Happy first year of Minniondom and may there be many more!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #13474 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:51 PM »

OK, so in the weekend gap between pp 148-149, I discovered and read the entirety of SSSS to that point. That was in late July of '14.

I don't remember when I began reading the comments, but I remember the creation of this Fan-Forum, and thinking to myself, "Yeah, I'll just lurk here like I do over at the OOTS forum." I fully intended to lurk forever, but I found myself being drawn deeper into this cult community day by day.

One year ago today, after nerving myself up for maybe a week, I made an account here and a Disqus account and put my first comment up on pg 246, a "big long screed" on how the medic must have offed himself. Ironically, my sister joined at the same time, 200ish miles to my south.

This post is not an ego post, but a gratitude post. This community has been nothing but accepting since I joined, and my life is richer for being a part of it, and so I sincerely thank you all.

Awww! We're glad to have you, Secto! It's great to have more writers in the community and I love your AUs <3
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13475 on: January 12, 2016, 11:15:51 PM »
OH mY VARIOUS DEITIES
So my 12-year-old little sister has this really awful teacher who calls kids names and then claims it's all in fun and has weird requirements and teases people, right? And he's been doing this for *years,* and apparently nobody's taken it to the administration. A couple months ago, she wrote him a Strongly Worded Letter (the kind that's creeping into Howler territory) about how That's Bullying and he needs to Stop or she'll talk to a counselor.

So the last couple of days, she's taken a little notebook to class. She flipped a couple of pages in, wrote the date. Every time he says something mean, she makes a little tally. She's not been to see the counselor, she's not showing anyone anything. She's not writing down any specifics, it could just be a list of when she's thought about thai food that day. If he asks, she just says, "Oh, making a note." But apparently, he's seen this kind of note-taking.

He looked over her shoulder once, and then started twitching whenever he saw her.

And that, ladies, gentlemen, and assorted populace, is how you screw with someone's mind. (and she's twelve. I'm kind of afraid of what'll happen when she grows up.)

(And heyyy, congrats on a year, Looney!)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13476 on: January 12, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
OH mY VARIOUS DEITIES
So my 12-year-old little sister has this really awful teacher who calls kids names and then claims it's all in fun and has weird requirements and teases people, right? And he's been doing this for *years,* and apparently nobody's taken it to the administration. A couple months ago, she wrote him a Strongly Worded Letter (the kind that's creeping into Howler territory) about how That's Bullying and he needs to Stop or she'll talk to a counselor.

So the last couple of days, she's taken a little notebook to class. She flipped a couple of pages in, wrote the date. Every time he says something mean, she makes a little tally. She's not been to see the counselor, she's not showing anyone anything. She's not writing down any specifics, it could just be a list of when she's thought about thai food that day. If he asks, she just says, "Oh, making a note." But apparently, he's seen this kind of note-taking.

He looked over her shoulder once, and then started twitching whenever he saw her.

And that, ladies, gentlemen, and assorted populace, is how you screw with someone's mind. (and she's twelve. I'm kind of afraid of what'll happen when she grows up.)

Yay for your sister!  Good for her for sticking up for herself!  (And congrats on the notebook -- that's practically "Matilda"-level tactics!)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13477 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »
OH mY VARIOUS DEITIES

Your sister is awesome. Tell her thumbs up from me. :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13478 on: January 13, 2016, 02:10:39 AM »
OH mY VARIOUS DEITIES

Your sister is a kind of a genius. A scary kind of a genius but a genius none the less. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13479 on: January 13, 2016, 05:27:38 AM »

And we're that much the richer for having you with us! Happy anniversary!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13480 on: January 13, 2016, 05:51:45 AM »
Good news of the week: a fisherman saves a Saimaa ringed seal. (Warning, the video is SUPER LOUD at the beginning.)

The seal had been trapped on ice when either the hole it had used had iced over or it had accidentally wandered too far from it and got lost. Seals can't survive on ice for long plus they're easy prey there, the man who cut it a new hole estimated it had possibly spent a few days out of water. Btw this seal type really is this brave around humans since they're not hunted, my parents have a small tug boat on Saimaa and they often get curious seal company when they stop somewhere for the night. The fisherman says you can even hand-feed them, just grab a tail of a fish, plop the other end underwater and they'll come right over.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13481 on: January 13, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »
Good news of the week: a fisherman saves a Saimaa ringed seal. (Warning, the video is SUPER LOUD at the beginning.)

The seal had been trapped on ice when either the hole it had used had iced over or it had accidentally wandered too far from it and got lost. Seals can't survive on ice for long plus they're easy prey there, the man who cut it a new hole estimated it had possibly spent a few days out of water. Btw this seal type really is this brave around humans since they're not hunted, my parents have a small tug boat on Saimaa and they often get curious seal company when they stop somewhere for the night. The fisherman says you can even hand-feed them, just grab a tail of a fish, plop the other end underwater and they'll come right over.

And there was me not even knowing there were seals in Saimaa! According to Wikipedia there are only about 300 of these things left, which is a shame. Good on that fisherman!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13482 on: January 13, 2016, 06:05:07 AM »
OH mY VARIOUS DEITIES

Well done!! >:D
*is tempted to link part of the Deathnote soundtrack*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13483 on: January 13, 2016, 06:09:47 AM »
That's beautiful! Good on him!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13484 on: January 13, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »
And there was me not even knowing there were seals in Saimaa! According to Wikipedia there are only about 300 of these things left, which is a shame. Good on that fisherman!

I have an idea that Ville's seal form was actually a Saimaa ringed seal, at least going by the pattern on his coat. :D Minna doesn't use the Finnish word for them though (that would be norppa) but the basic word hylje, which just means a seal in general so I can't be entirely certain.