Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411550 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13455 on: January 12, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
I had to wait for the washing machine for a while today (despite making a reservation grumble grumble), and when I opened the machine to take out the previous person's laundry there were... three pairs of socks? o.O Who the heck machine washes three pairs of socks? Have I found the other end of the portal where every missing sock ends up? What?

Maybe they really needed socks but didn't want to wash anything else?
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13456 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
Can I rant about my least favourite customer types here? I'm gonna do it. Hah.

Spoiler: show
I've worked almost my whole working age in retail/customer service and while it's a job type that suits me well there's certain types of customers that both annoy me to heck and back and seem to exist in every country somehow. There's f.ex.

- The Loud One: something goes wrong ever so slightly and the noise starts right away. They won't listen to you as you try to fix things for them, they want a full refund and they want it NOW. I've once literally fixed a customer's order under his nose while he was busy cussing at me for the other worker's mistake, it took two minutes and although the order was precisely like he wanted it he still wanted to talk to the owner. Boss was confused.

- The Martyr: if something goes wrong they'll launch into a teary tirade of how their life sucks and now this. The worst one tricked me into making a mistake (by cutting the wrong hanging wire from behind the frame, I checked with her I was going to cut the right one and she said yes) just so she could pour her heart out at me about how everyone always mistreated her... this type never actually makes any demands, strange as it is, they apparently just want to vent. I put a new hanging wire in and she was totally happy with that.

- The Shrew: these usually travel in twos, a couple that really shouldn't be together. They'll spend most of their time trying to ridicule each other as badly as they can and try to get the customer service people to take their side against their spouse. Awkwarrrrd.

- The Smelly: self-explanatory. I'm not talking about someone who's slightly sweaty, I'm talking about someone you can still smell the next day.

- The King: treats you like something they found stuck to their shoe. Throws their card/money at you, doesn't care if they even hit the table. I don't mind customer service but the part where I have to gather coins from the floor on all fours is a bit much. I'm so happy this type is super rare...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13457 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:03 PM »

Spoiler: show
I've worked almost my whole working age in retail/customer service and while it's a job type that suits me well there's certain types of customers that both annoy me to heck and back and seem to exist in every country somehow. There's f.ex.

- The Loud One: something goes wrong ever so slightly and the noise starts right away. They won't listen to you as you try to fix things for them, they want a full refund and they want it NOW. I've once literally fixed a customer's order under his nose while he was busy cussing at me for the other worker's mistake, it took two minutes and although the order was precisely like he wanted it he still wanted to talk to the owner. Boss was confused.

- The Martyr: if something goes wrong they'll launch into a teary tirade of how their life sucks and now this. The worst one tricked me into making a mistake (by cutting the wrong hanging wire from behind the frame, I checked with her I was going to cut the right one and she said yes) just so she could pour her heart out at me about how everyone always mistreated her... this type never actually makes any demands, strange as it is, they apparently just want to vent. I put a new hanging wire in and she was totally happy with that.

- The Shrew: these usually travel in twos, a couple that really shouldn't be together. They'll spend most of their time trying to ridicule each other as badly as they can and try to get the customer service people to take their side against their spouse. Awkwarrrrd.

- The Smelly: self-explanatory. I'm not talking about someone who's slightly sweaty, I'm talking about someone you can still smell the next day.

- The King: treats you like something they found stuck to their shoe. Throws their card/money at you, doesn't care if they even hit the table. I don't mind customer service but the part where I have to gather coins from the floor on all fours is a bit much. I'm so happy this type is super rare...

Eeew to all of those. Was so glad when I was able to leave customer service behind. (Temperament for it, I do not have.)
I... take it you had a trying day, perhaps? :'D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13458 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
Eeew to all of those. Was so glad when I was able to leave customer service behind. (Temperament for it, I do not have.)
I... take it you had a trying day, perhaps? :'D

Actually no, today was awesome! This was mostly prompted by the two Shrews that visited our shop some days ago, who reminded me of similar customers back in Finland and got me thinking about what have so far been the argh-est moments of my so-called career.  :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13459 on: January 12, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
I had to wait for the washing machine for a while today (despite making a reservation grumble grumble), and when I opened the machine to take out the previous person's laundry there were... three pairs of socks? o.O Who the heck machine washes three pairs of socks? Have I found the other end of the portal where every missing sock ends up? What?
you are the chosen one and you must go on an adventure to the alternate reality beyond that portal! bring me a souvenir please

you are a True Warrior.

the lecture in classical literature had FIVE students showing up! wow!!

Teacher: so the thing is that we have NO IDEA who wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey! Not even the greeks knew! Nobody knows if it was one man, two men, or a whole bunch. Maybe someone just transcribed someone's performance of homeric poetry
Me: so... Homer could have been a woman?
Teacher: yes, but
Me: it could have been TWO women?
Teacher: YES BUT IT'S NOT VERY LIKELY
Me: but not impossible
Me: : D

i also learnt that performing homeric poems was mostly improvising trojan war fanfics on the spot? cool
you'll know where to find me.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #13460 on: January 12, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »

Teacher: so the thing is that we have NO IDEA who wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey! Not even the greeks knew! Nobody knows if it was one man, two men, or a whole bunch. Maybe someone just transcribed someone's performance of homeric poetry

i also learnt that performing homeric poems was mostly improvising trojan war fanfics on the spot? cool
Ohh! I wrote an essay on that last year in my history class! :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13461 on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
I survived my first day back at school!
Economics is going to be really interesting, I'm looking foreward to learning something new there. German will be nice except I've already learned all the material for the semester so I will probably spend a lot of time drawing in that class. The nice thing is we are allowed to do our translations into whatever language we want... *breaks out the icelandic* muahahahahaaaa!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #13462 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
you are the chosen one and you must go on an adventure to the alternate reality beyond that portal! bring me a souvenir please
you are a True Warrior.

Most of classical litterature are just homeric fanfics.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13463 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

A+++
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13464 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »

*looks at image*
*collapses to ground laughing*
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13465 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »

Pffffffhahahaha!
Although tbh most literature is fanfic.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13466 on: January 12, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
Who the heck machine washes three pairs of socks?
Someone who suspects the dye to bleed? The machine can be set hotter than hand-washing in the sink, so giving it a solo wash in the machine "wears out" the bleeding faster.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13467 on: January 12, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »
Someone who suspects the dye to bleed? The machine can be set hotter than hand-washing in the sink, so giving it a solo wash in the machine "wears out" the bleeding faster.

My socks never bleed when I cut them.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13468 on: January 12, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »
My socks never bleed when I cut them.

you cut your socks???  :o

* Feartheviolas gets out a sign that reads: "EQUAL RIGHTS TO SOCKS"
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13469 on: January 12, 2016, 08:03:13 PM »
you cut your socks???  :o

* Feartheviolas gets out a sign that reads: "EQUAL RIGHTS TO SOCKS"

It's a necessity, every once in a while, pour encourager les autres.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: