Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387725 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13440 on: January 11, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »
I'm gonna ask here cause it's kinda random.

So I might have junior arthritis in one knee, and it makes standing on my feet for an hour or two really painful. And now that it is really getting cold now it's hurting a lot more. Does anyone have any tips on how to relieve the pain, or make it not as intense? I was nearly in tears after my five hour shift, and that has never happened before.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13441 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:38 PM »

So I might have junior arthritis in one knee, and it makes standing on my feet for an hour or two really painful. And now that it is really getting cold now it's hurting a lot more. Does anyone have any tips on how to relieve the pain, or make it not as intense? I was nearly in tears after my five hour shift, and that has never happened before.
Is it the cold weather that makes it hurt, or actually standing in the cold? If it's the latter, they make little hot pads (originally for sticking in your shoe to keep your toes warm) that you can stick wherever you want.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #13442 on: January 11, 2016, 11:09:09 PM »
Is it the cold weather that makes it hurt, or actually standing in the cold? If it's the latter, they make little hot pads (originally for sticking in your shoe to keep your toes warm) that you can stick wherever you want.

Its the cold that's doing it. I avoid being outside like the plague when it's cold, as it causes some nasty skin problems for me.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13443 on: January 11, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas than Noodly.
Maybe you could check the way you stand? The proper way to stand is not to have your legs completely straight but slightly bent instead. It takes some getting used to at first, because it requires muscles that might otherwise not be used a lot.
Generally speaking, all kinds of meat (but especially red meat like beef), legumes and all things that contain or cause the body to produce uric acid worsen Arthritis, but you probably know that already.
I guess that's just general advice. Sorry!

I hope you find something to make it better!
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13444 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »
Its the cold that's doing it. I avoid being outside like the plague when it's cold, as it causes some nasty skin problems for me.

I'd go see a doctor as well, to check if it's arthritis or something else. My friend has arthritis in her hands, and her doctor was able to direct her to some compressing gloves which help her a lot. A doctor will be able to tell you what's wrong, and will probably have a better solution for it than I!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13445 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »
patpat
maybe some kind of knee brace thingy, like an ace bandage but kneeier, would work? i know compression is good for some inflammatory things
actually no please do not take my advice i am not a doctor and i'm looking at this from the perspective of
if (swollen) {
compress();
}
 :P
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #13446 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »
Thank you everyone. I admit I'm not very keen on going to doctors, as I've had a few bad experiences, but I know I have to so that this gets better. *hugs everyone*

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13447 on: January 12, 2016, 12:13:21 AM »
Dancing Ranger: all of the above is good advice, and I'd add a few things that have worked for me. But first, it's worth getting the joint checked, because 'arthritis' can have many causes ranging from infections to genetics to poor posture to old injuries and then some.

It's something with which I have *lots* of experience, since I'm pretty crippled up with 'arthritis' myself. I had rheumatic fever as a little kid, no antibiotics in general use back then, so that left some permanent damage to joints and heart. I then proceeded to live a very physically vigorous life, which left me with quite a few old injuries and subsequent osteoarthritis, which is the kind you get from wear and tear and overuse. Then the family genetic tendency to rheumatoid arthritis surfaced and added its note to the symphony of discomforts. Worst part is that the osteo is better for warmth, the rheumatoid for cold weather, so there's really no comfortable time of year.

However, advice:
. Get it checked out, since treatment options can be very different depending on cause.
. Keep moving. If you stop physical activity you stiffen. Swim, stretch, walk, do stuff like tai chi or gentle yoga (I do my old martial-arts exercises, but slowly). Try to work out your own best balance between rest and exercise, it's different for everyone, then work within your boundaries, maybe stretch them gently.
. Check for triggers. Heat, cold, humidity, particular foods, postures (standing for a long time on a concrete or otherwise cold floor is a really common one, to the point where there's a term for it - process workers' arthritis).
. See an exercise physio. They can help a lot.
. Try support for the joint, straps or bandages or tape. I found one of those neoprene sleeves worked well on my crippled-up left hand, gave me back a lot more use of the fingers and eased the pain.
. Some people get good results from liniments. I use Flexall or Tiger Balm on my knees, and it helps.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #13448 on: January 12, 2016, 12:52:30 AM »
Róisín, I didn't know standing on colds floors did that, that makes sense cause I was just talking to my friend about it and she's noticed that my knees and back tend to hurt more when I've been at work. And the floors at work are stone tile on concrete. I've heard of tiger balm before but I have no clue where I could find it. I definitely want to given it a try, as you're the second or third person to mention it.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13449 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:57 AM »
Many chemists, Chinese grocery stores, health food stores. You're in America, right?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13450 on: January 12, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »
Róisín, I didn't know standing on cold floors did that, that makes sense cause I was just talking to my friend about it and she's noticed that my knees and back tend to hurt more when I've been at work. And the floors at work are stone tile on concrete.

I've heard of tiger balm before but I have no clue where I could find it. I definitely want to given it a try, as you're the second or third person to mention it.

Big drugstores generally carry Tiger Balm, but if you live way out in the country, your shopping options may be limited.

Amazon.com carries it:  http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Sport-Ultra-Relieving-Ointment/dp/B000N5WT2O/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452578128&sr=1-2&keywords=tiger+balm 
Other online retailers and drugstores probably do too.  (I checked -- at least CVS.com does.)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:02:38 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #13451 on: January 12, 2016, 01:02:14 AM »
Yeah. But I live in a really tiny town with limited access to all the awesome things. (You'd never get me out of a Chinese/Japanese food store. I know this as fact. *is now itching to go back to the Hibari Market *)

Oh! Yesh Amazon. *keeps forgetting it exists* It's like the Walmart of the internet. Hmm I wonder if they have Bag Balm too, it's good for cracking/dry skin.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13452 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
First class of the new semester has been survived! It was history, and I think it's going to be a lot like my history course last semester, which is good since that one was pretty manageable. I'm excited though because this class basically covers the last 50 years of history and there'll be stuff I was alive for at the end of it. :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13453 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »
First class of the new semester has been survived! It was history, and I think it's going to be a lot like my history course last semester, which is good since that one was pretty manageable. I'm excited though because this class basically covers the last 50 years of history and there'll be stuff I was alive for at the end of it. :D

I'm of the opinion that if it happened during my lifetime it's not actually history.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #13454 on: January 12, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I had to wait for the washing machine for a while today (despite making a reservation grumble grumble), and when I opened the machine to take out the previous person's laundry there were... three pairs of socks? o.O Who the heck machine washes three pairs of socks? Have I found the other end of the portal where every missing sock ends up? What?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz