Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387815 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13410 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
Very random, but it may bring you a smile....or maybe not, it depends <_<

Today my cat Dolly came inside after dinner and it was discovered that she had been pooped on by a cow. Somehow that happened.
And so she got a shower. The End.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13411 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:36 AM »
Farewell to David Bowie! He will certainly be missed.

David Bowie isn't dead. He's just returned to the Goblin Kingdom from which he came.
I'm now choosing to believe this is what has happened :))
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13412 on: January 11, 2016, 06:05:56 AM »
Owl, I laughed like a drain at that. Hope she wasn't too smelly!

I remember the first time my cat Spook met a cow. She was a fairly young adopted feral when we moved from a brief sojourn in a city, where she had adopted us, out to a farm again. The biggest animal she had seen up to then was a large Alsatian, which she met when it jumped the fence into our front garden and savaged her, so she was nervous of big creatures in general. So first week on the farm, we kept her in the bathroom for a few days, as one does, until she worked out where 'home' was, then let her out.

She spent a few hours carefully exploring the couple of acres of garden around the house, then ventured under the fence out into the surrounding paddocks. This farm had been pretty neglected; a hundred and fifty years before it had been planted to apples, plums and hazelnuts, but it had been empty for the previous decade, and a lot of the trees had died. The surviving hazels had formed big shrubby clumps, and Spook was making her cautious way around one when she turned a corner and came suddenly nose to nose with a cow. A big one.

I was watching her from the front porch and got to see the whole thing. She froze in place, eyes locked on the cow and every bit of fur standing on end. She was a tiny fuzzy grey tabby, so it looked really strange. Then, a fraction of an inch at a time, she started edging backward, away from it, while the cow stared at her in complete bewilderment. Once she was far enough back around the clump she whipped around, streaked back into the bathroom and didn't come out for a week. She eventually got quite blasé about the cattle, but it took her several months.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13413 on: January 11, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
Uuugh all my muscles ache in that "maybe you'll have a horrible cold tomorrow"-kind of way. It's also super slippery outside and it's snowing lightly on the ice, so going back home I'll either risk slipping and walk normally or not risk that and penguin all the way. :P

Róisín's story reminded me of another cow story from a few years back. We were on a camping trip around Mývatn and one morning decided to go have morning coffee at a nearby cafe that turned out to have a barn right behind the wall and obviously a cow theme. The cows had just been let out and were doing the bouncy cow thing of "YAY FREEDOM YAY YAY" but a few came over to have a look at us too. Very cute cows, small-ish in size, very friendly. We were on our way in so we only stopped briefly to say hello to them and continued indoors.

There had been another couple taking photos of the cows but we hadn't paid much attention to them. Then suddenly the lady burst in in panic and asked if there was any place to wash her hand. She had petted the cow and it had licked her. Now she had to wash her hand, right away please. I've never seen cafe staff stare at a customer quite that surprised but at least they did immediately point her to the bathroom... Moral of the story: cows do lick.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13414 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »
Uuugh all my muscles ache in that "maybe you'll have a horrible cold tomorrow"-kind of way. It's also super slippery outside and it's snowing lightly on the ice, so going back home I'll either risk slipping and walk normally or not risk that and penguin all the way. :P

I vote for penguining it. ;p Be careful, now! (And hopefully you won't catch cold, that sucks)

The thought of being licked by a cow... ew. Not a panic moment, but like, ew. Dog licks are bad enough.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

« Reply #13415 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »
It's the colour of cow tongues that amuses me. All blotchy-freckled pink and grey and purple.....

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #13416 on: January 11, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Indeed they are!  http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Chocolate-Covered-Espresso/dp/B009RS7VIK 
* sunflower joins the plot to leave a dish of them at SectoBoss's elbow

Ha, my art teacher keeps these in the classroom and gives them to us sometimes. I remember a couple of girls in my class even stole a few before she hid the container...
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #13417 on: January 11, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
She had petted the cow and it had licked her. Now she had to wash her hand, right away please. I've never seen cafe staff stare at a customer quite that surprised but at least they did immediately point her to the bathroom... Moral of the story: cows do lick.
Ohh, they lick! And their spit is slimy. And the have TONS of it. Especially calfs that just drank milk.
When their tongues wrap around your wrist and half your hand vanishes in their mouth... Meeh!
No, I was never very fond of cows and their spit <_<

Another cat story:
My mother and I were talking to one of our neighbors, when we noticed both of our cats (siblings who didn't usually get along very well) team up behind the car, being all hush hush and tail-twithchy. So when another villager and came by with his shepherd dog, my mother advised him to keep an eye on his animal.
The man saw our cats, laughed at my mother and proceeded past the car, pretty much uncaring - until his dog yelped and sped past him!
Our cats had jumped the dog from both sides and one went for the nose, while the other took care of an ear.
We had lots of fun. The dog owner, who now had to chase after his dog, not so much ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:55:55 AM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Nietos

« Reply #13418 on: January 11, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
Last night I had a nightmare about moving. I can't remember the specifics but when I woke up I was convinced my move wasn't over and I needed to get somewhere right that second to return a van or something. *shudder*

I've been avoiding some adult responsibilities and decided not to visit the forum until I'd managed to do something. After writing four pages of fanfic instead of dealing with the adult responsibilities, I caved in.

It turns out that living with a flatmate is pretty okay? I'm more motivated to clean the kitchen since I'm not the only one using it, so that's good. They spend much less time here than I do and are a nice person so my only complaint thus far is the fact they're as absentminded as I am so they forget to do things. I guess this is how other people feel like while dealing with me.

Also, I share my living space with a cat now. A weird animal. Likes to purr and push against people and then bite them without a warning.

Oh hey, I was wondering whether you'd come back on because I thought of more stuff in that whole gender-role-reversal-in-SSSS discussion we were having a while back.
You have no idea how happy this made me! Should we start a thread in the SSSS board? I'm pretty sure I'm only going to have more thoughts in the future and that'd make it easier for other people to join in, too.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13419 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
You have no idea how happy this made me! Should we start a thread in the SSSS board? I'm pretty sure I'm only going to have more thoughts in the future and that'd make it easier for other people to join in, too.

Ooh, yesyesyes! I actually have a whole series of essays and character studies already written out that I've been pestering one of my RL friends with, so I figure that would be a good place to re-post some of them (with permission, of course).
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #13420 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
One of my cousins used to have three cats, all siblings. One was quite dim, in that he never really understood the concept 'door', and would wander up to random points on the wall and sit there wailing for a human to let him out. His siblings, however, were scarily bright, and used to team up to hunt dogs. They would coordinate to accomplish a number of things that cats can't usually pull off, but their favourite trick was to have one of them lie out on the footpath looking fat and happy and relaxed, while the other lurked along a low branch that overhung the driveway just inside the fence. They lived in a small town in outback Victoria, so there were plenty of uncontrolled dogs about. Whenever a dog attacked the one out on the footpath it would run in under the tree and its sister would rake the dog from above.

They used a variant of the same tactic to hunt blackbirds. One would ostentatiously stalk the bird along a low branch, scaring it into flight just under the spot where the other cat was hiding on a higher branch.

Nietos

« Reply #13421 on: January 11, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
Ooh, yesyesyes! I actually have a whole series of essays and character studies already written out that I've been pestering one of my RL friends with, so I figure that would be a good place to re-post some of them (with permission, of course).
Please do! I really wanna read them! I'm excited about this since digging deep into fiction and analysing it is one of my favourite things and it's best done with other people to talk about it.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13422 on: January 11, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
Please do! I really wanna read them! I'm excited about this since digging deep into fiction and analysing it is one of my favourite things and it's best done with other people to talk about it.

Sure thing! I won't be free until late tonight (I'm currently on my lunch break, and have other stuff going on after work), but will try to get it started by then.

Nietos

« Reply #13423 on: January 11, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
Sure thing! I won't be free until late tonight (I'm currently on my lunch break, and have other stuff going on after work), but will try to get it started by then.
Awesome! I'll have something good to read tomorrow, then. If I come up with something else than what I've already said here, I might start the thread myself, but since that's not a given, I'm happy that I can count on you to kick this thing off.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #13424 on: January 11, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Awesome! I'll have something good to read tomorrow, then. If I come up with something else than what I've already said here, I might start the thread myself, but since that's not a given, I'm happy that I can count on you to kick this thing off.

Great, that'll help my motivation! Plus I just got permission, so we're good to go.