Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387430 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1260 on: November 11, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »
I like that Secret Santa thing. I may write little stories or something similar.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1261 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:56 AM »
FYI, I'm going to create a separate thread in this folder for Winter Holidays (both the Secret Santa planning and discussing Christmas/Jul/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/whatever else forumites celebrate around the end of the calendar year). 

I am asking our forum admins to move the last 20-odd posts that were just on those topics to this new thread.  Hopefully that's OK with all of you.  (I don't think I can just copy-and-paste...?)

Meanwhile, please feel free to continue the conversation of chestnuts-roasting-on-an-open-fire, etc., over on the new thread.

Yours,

Santa's Little Helper,
Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1262 on: November 11, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
Strange, I see on the Indexpage that you created a new topic. If I launch the general discussion bord I refresh and refresh but the topic won't show up. nooooo. But thank you for the set up of the new topicanyways, sunflower.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1263 on: November 11, 2014, 02:03:50 AM »
Heh-heh, I hadn't created the new Holidays thread yet!  (Embarrassed Torbjörn face.)  As usual, I was fussing over the wording.

But it's there now...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1264 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:06 AM »
Yay, now I can see it, too :).

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1265 on: November 11, 2014, 05:59:28 AM »
Christmas smells like cinnamon, hot spiced wine ("Glühwein") and fir needles to me. I'm already looking forward to buying a christmas tree. It's just so nice to have a tree inside your living room.  :)
That, plus the scent of biscuits (living near a big bakery store, where the children from kindergarten always come to to decorate Plätzchen) and incense cones.

Man there was a lot going on here last night, and I missed it all! Sometimes I wish I didn't need to sleep.
Also, that Secret Santa thing sounds great! I think I'm in! Gotta think about a gift, though...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1266 on: November 11, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »
That, plus the scent of biscuits (living near a big bakery store, where the children from kindergarten always come to to decorate Plätzchen) and incense cones.

Man there was a lot going on here last night, and I missed it all! Sometimes I wish I didn't need to sleep.
Also, that Secret Santa thing sounds great! I think I'm in! Gotta think about a gift, though...

Pfuipfui! Ab in den Winter-Weihnachtsthread mit dir!

(*ShoosClayres off* Sunflower tried to clean up our Christmas mess ;) )

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1267 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
Pfuipfui! Ab in den Winter-Weihnachtsthread mit dir!

(*ShoosClayres off* Sunflower tried to clean up our Christmas mess ;) )
(I noticed. Oops, my bad!
Can somebody change the topic again, please? *feels very uncomfortable*)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1268 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
(I noticed. Oops, my bad!
Can somebody change the topic again, please? *feels very uncomfortable*)

nooo you don't need to feel uncomfortable. It's Lunchtime! Finally. And I have to put lists outside so that people may subscribe against another motorway which is to be built in a Region full of already existing motorway right through a protected piece of Wood. The project was called off in 2003 already after massive protesting of the people living there but now it is discussed again.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1269 on: November 11, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »

nooo you don't need to feel uncomfortable. It's Lunchtime! Finally. And I have to put lists outside so that people may subscribe against another motorway which is to be built in a Region full of already existing motorway right through a protected piece of Wood. The project was called off in 2003 already after massive protesting of the people living there but now it is discussed again.
There's protest in our village, too, against an asylum for immigrants. Basically it was mainly against politics who didn't bother to inform the residents on time after telling them there would be nothing like that beforehand, but the NPD jumped in and somehow turned into something xenophobic (the Linke joined too on the other side... man I hate politics and election campaigns), and now there're demonstrations every Monday...

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: November 11, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
There's protest in our village, too, against an asylum for immigrants. Basically it was mainly against politics who didn't bother to inform the residents on time after telling them there would be nothing like that beforehand, but the NPD jumped in and somehow turned into something xenophobic (the Linke joined too on the other side... man I hate politics and election campaigns), and now there're demonstrations every Monday...

That sounds pretty nasty. I think it is kind of sad if some party like the NPD abuses the fear of inhabitants being informed badly. In the next small town politicians asked the locals about how they could set up things and there not so many are acting against it. There is still muttering but as the residents at the assylum turned out to be not be criminal stinky monsters leaving the inhabitants houses untouched everything is fine. Cultural clashes exist but that is quite normal I guess. Which reminds me I should sort through my winter clothes and bring it to the Red Cross section who is responsible for the assylum. It got really cold on some of the last days. (OK, the northerners might laugh about my oppinion of "cold" ;) )

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1271 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
That sounds pretty nasty. I think it is kind of sad if some party like the NPD abuses the fear of inhabitants being informed badly. In the next small town politicians asked the locals about how they could set up things and there not so many are acting against it. There is still muttering but as the residents at the assylum turned out to be not be criminal stinky monsters leaving the inhabitants houses untouched everything is fine. Cultural clashes exist but that is quite normal I guess. Which reminds me I should sort through my winter clothes and bring it to the Red Cross section who is responsible for the assylum. It got really cold on some of the last days. (OK, the northerners might laugh about my oppinion of "cold" ;) )
Hm. Could be much worse. Everything went down peaceful so far *knocks on wood*, even if the police had to jump in once as the Linke tried to confont the NPD (oh well at least the locals weren't involved). Aaand it seems that politicians and other speakers were talking at cross purposes... I really hope this gets sorted out soon.

I also laugh about your definition of cold (granted, could be warmer here), but I appreciate your kindness, since I guess that people from more southern nations are used to much less coldness than us (or the Northerners for that matter).

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1272 on: November 11, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
I'd be down for a Secret Santa.  If I can get a mic soon, especially.  Otherwise, I have nothing to give... uh, except... the forum?  I guess?

Aww, Eich, buddy.  I think we need to stage our own SSSS Christmas special to reassure you -- kind of a mash-up of "The Little Drummer Boy" and "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!"
SYNOPSIS:  A hard-working young engineer is sad when he thinks he has nothing to give in the annual Secret Santa exchange.  All the creatures of the forum (including a woman warrior, a tentacle-monster, a blue-and-red frog, a paper owl, a kitty, and a vase of flowers) drop in to convince him that the forum he runs is the Greatest Gift of All! 
Features:  "Can I Interest You in Juleblot?" by Fenris; "Here, Have Some Cookies" by Sunflower (with back-up vocals by Nimphy, Lenny, and Origami Owl); "Frohe Weihnachten, Unser Donner!" by kex and Clayres; "Get That Yule Log Flamin'!" by Emil with guest appearance by B.B. King on blues guitar; and much, much more!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:45:43 PM by Sunflower »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1273 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
All the creatures of the forum (including a woman warrior, a tentacle-monster, a paper owl, a kitty, and a vase of flowers)

E-eeh? There's a tentacle monster on this forum? ... Where can I find this mythical magical creature? I promise I won't taxidermise it.

(Oh, and by the way Sunflower: I noticed there's another Californian lady here who just presented herself in the introduction thread).

(OK, the northerners might laugh about my oppinion of "cold" ;) )

You know nuffin' Jon Snoe'.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1274 on: November 11, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
Aww, Eich, buddy.  I think we need to stage our own SSSS Christmas special to reassure you -- kind of a mash-up of "The Little Drummer Boy" and "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!"
SYNOPSIS:  A hard-working young engineer is sad when he thinks he has nothing to give in the annual Secret Santa exchange.  All the creatures of the forum (including a woman warrior, a tentacle-monster, a paper owl, a kitty, and a vase of flowers) drop in to convince him that the forum he runs is the Greatest Gift of All! 
Features:  "Can I Interest You in Julblot?" by Fenris; "Here, Have Some Cookies" by Sunflower (with back-up vocals by Nimphy, Lenny, and Origami Owl); "Frohe Weihnachten, Unser Donner!" by kex and Clayres; "Get That Yule Log Flamin'!" by Emil with guest appearance by B.B. King on blues guitar; and much, much more!

I think I died XD All of these are so in-character! (and why am I not on the Creatures of the Forum list?  >:()
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: