Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411151 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13185 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
I love all water but I prefer swimming in the ocean! Grew up in that so it's pretty natural-feeling. Also, I like the color of the water best :P

Crystal clear rivers and springs are really nice too!! I like being able to see the bottom in freshwater bodies of water so I know there aren't any snakes or alligators chilling around me :'3c I went to a camp in North Carolina where we had to swim in a very opaque lake and even though I knew there wasn't anything that hurt me I still hated it.

I feel exactly the same way. And at the beach you can find all kinds of cool shells and things ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13186 on: December 30, 2015, 01:26:30 AM »
I love all water but I prefer swimming in the ocean! Grew up in that so it's pretty natural-feeling. Also, I like the color of the water best :P

Crystal clear rivers and springs are really nice too!! I like being able to see the bottom in freshwater bodies of water so I know there aren't any snakes or alligators chilling around me :'3c I went to a camp in North Carolina where we had to swim in a very opaque lake and even though I knew there wasn't anything that hurt me I still hated it.

ahahahaha i always forget that other people's sea is warmer than 4°C :P
The rivers and lakes around here are murky, but I've never seen fish bigger than maybe 10 cm there, so it doesn't really bug me. We do joke about there being a giant sturgeon, but they're bottom feeders anyway.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13187 on: December 30, 2015, 05:39:34 AM »
Having another storm. Not as bad as the Big Bad one but I seriously hate the sound of windows rattling in their frames, especially considering most of the walls of this shop are made of windows, no shutters. Something just crashed really loud outside, by the sound of it it fell from above. Not sure what it was, I'm curious but I don't want to risk my head in case there's more where that came from (it's still dark outside so I'd have to go out to see what it was)... :P

EDIT: hooooooly - ok WHAT'S falling down. What's going on. I want to go get myself a kleina but I can't go anywhere atm and that's so annoying.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:49:45 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13188 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:47 AM »
Bits of roof? Chimneys? Megahail? Do be careful!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13189 on: December 30, 2015, 08:07:10 AM »
Bits of roof? Chimneys? Megahail? Do be careful!

Seemed to be just... assorted rubble. I think one piece was a table.

Meanwhile this seems to be on its way to becoming a bit of a thing: young men come over to attempt something dangerous "for the first time ever" for charity, and it ends embarrassingly. For one, I guess they don't realize that dangerous things really are dangerous, and that not keeping an eye on weather forecasts can kill you on the highlands. For two... for the first time ever? Don't you mean like... it's been done by ICELANDERS plenty of times before but it doesn't count because who's ever going to find out? :D In any case sending a helicopter after them was quite expensive, thanks boys.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13190 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
for the first time ever? Don't you mean like... it's been done by ICELANDERS plenty of times before but it doesn't count because who's ever going to find out? :D In any case sending a helicopter after them was quite expensive, thanks boys.
Considering that their own publication point is on a site called Gear Junkie (and the exact page's mysteriously inoperational right now ... honni soit qui mal y pense) and that mbl.is added a "correction" saying that "A statement from the PR manager of the group [clarified that SAR was asked to] provide guidance after two members had soaked their clothing due to rain", I'm bracing for a scalding review on some newfangled supertechno magic armor outdoors(-made-trivial) clothing.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13191 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Having another storm. Not as bad as the Big Bad one but I seriously hate the sound of windows rattling in their frames, especially considering most of the walls of this shop are made of windows, no shutters. Something just crashed really loud outside, by the sound of it it fell from above. Not sure what it was, I'm curious but I don't want to risk my head in case there's more where that came from (it's still dark outside so I'd have to go out to see what it was)... :P

EDIT: hooooooly - ok WHAT'S falling down. What's going on. I want to go get myself a kleina but I can't go anywhere atm and that's so annoying.

Yes, I saw something the other day about how there were going to be some nasty storms heading north as part of the same weather pattern that's had us well above normal temperatures this month.  Take care of yourself!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13192 on: December 30, 2015, 09:51:43 AM »
Considering that their own publication point is on a site called Gear Junkie (and the exact page's mysteriously inoperational right now ... honni soit qui mal y pense) and that mbl.is added a "correction" saying that "A statement from the PR manager of the group [clarified that SAR was asked to] provide guidance after two members had soaked their clothing due to rain", I'm bracing for a scalding review on some newfangled supertechno magic armor outdoors(-made-trivial) clothing.

That just means they were wearing the wrong stuff and were badly prepared for the weather conditions. To compare, the mountain guides and voluntary rescue units don't generally need rescuing no matter how bad the weather becomes because their clothes actually protect them. Then again both only go out in that kind of weather in search of people like the above... who by the way actually needed rescuing three times, apparently. :D?

JoB

« Reply #13193 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
That just means they were wearing the wrong stuff and were badly prepared for the weather conditions.
I know that that's what it (likely) means. I'm talking about what those self-appointed trekking gear betatesters/critics (resp. the PR agent they hired) are going to publish. ;)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #13194 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
Re: nasty weather, poor clothing, etc, is there a thread where weather-beset Minnions are reporting in?  Worried about Sectoboss, Gwenno, Para, and maybe Haiz.

Currently we're in SW Norway, in Stavanger, on high ground in a basement flat, so should be snug.
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13195 on: December 30, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Yeah, weather is weird and nasty. 39C forecast here for today, so I'll be madly watering and rigging shades over my apples, which are cooking on the plants, and being very glad I was able to plant tomatoes in the shade. They don't actually need full sun, just heat. Have to finish putting birdnets over the plum trees and the rest of the apples, and put out pans of water for the creatures - even lizards and snakes are suffering in this weather. No fires too close, nearest is about 10 miles, so we're likely okay.

At least the grapes are doing well; I should have a huge harvest if the fires don't come too close and produce smoke taint, which happened last year. Prolonged exposure to smoke makes the grapes unuseable.

Hope Laufey is ok, last I heard they had a storm bad enough to have flying street furniture. SectoBoss was okay, said he was on high ground, and he thought Gwenno was okay too.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13196 on: December 30, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »
Living with housemates :
"Oh a box in the mailbox, a box a box a box... not for me."
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13197 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
Gong to the beach now... If there's no signal: Happy New Year to you all! :3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

« Reply #13198 on: December 30, 2015, 08:04:46 PM »
At least the grapes are doing well; I should have a huge harvest if the fires don't come too close and produce smoke taint, which happened last year. Prolonged exposure to smoke makes the grapes unuseable.
Excellent! How're the chances for some superior quality? >:D

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13199 on: December 30, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »
SectoBoss was okay, said he was on high ground, and he thought Gwenno was okay too.
Wait, where're SectoBoss and Gwenno?

Good luck with all your weird weather, guys.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: