Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387490 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13080 on: December 23, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »
Happy birthday to me! I feel very festive among all my moving boxes (moving next Tuesday). Mum sent me the best happy birthday message last night: "26 years ago you screamed so loudly that even the midwife was startled. Happy birthday!"

Happy birthday!

Also, I've gotten way too deep into this comic, I got a brilliant thesis idea and now feel a pressing need to do a bachelor's thesis in gender studies about the presentation of nurturing masculinity in SSSS. (Seriously guys, that'd make a really good thesis subject and I really wanna do it! Too bad what I actually should be doing is my master's thesis in cultural history...)

I want. To read. That thesis. Any chance of you sharing your thoughts on it here?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13081 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »
Happy birthday!

I want. To read. That thesis. Any chance of you sharing your thoughts on it here?
I second everything that 8 said. Gratulerer med dagen!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

mamioja

• Just another labrat
« Reply #13082 on: December 24, 2015, 01:09:58 AM »
It is early in the xmas morning, here. Soon my family will wake up and I`ll be busy for the rest of the day O:-) (or delegate all the remaining chores of decorating the house & joulukuusi to the daughters and disappear into my sewing room before anyone (= my beloved) says anything about cleaning the house  >:D). Any-which-ever-way... I wish
a very merry christmas
to all of you, who celebrate it. And offer
multiple warm winter hugs
to all of those of you, who don´t.
When life gives you scraps make a quilt

survival :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:

Fluent in :finland: :uk:
Can get by :sweden:
Lost in time :germany:  :france:  :spain:  :russia:

Lived in :canada: :finland: :australia:

shaeira

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • wants to post more but ends up lurking through
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her ; they/them
« Reply #13083 on: December 24, 2015, 06:11:41 AM »
It is early in the xmas morning, here. Soon my family will wake up and I`ll be busy for the rest of the day O:-) (or delegate all the remaining chores of decorating the house & joulukuusi to the daughters and disappear into my sewing room before anyone (= my beloved) says anything about cleaning the house  >:D). Any-which-ever-way... I wish
a very merry christmas
to all of you, who celebrate it. And offer
multiple warm winter hugs
to all of those of you, who don´t.
But isnt it still the 24th ? but anyway MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone~!!
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

everyone else knows so many languages
-----------
knows : :philippines: : Tagalog and Bisaya  :usa:
learning : :spain:
will continue someday: :sweden:

twit~
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13084 on: December 24, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
It's the evening of the 24th here, but it's already gone midnight in the Pacific (and I'm not staying up for it locally), so Happy Christmas, Yule and other celebrations to everyone!

And as a present here's a preview of something I've been working on... :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13085 on: December 24, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
Oho ! :D *Curious*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

shaeira

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13086 on: December 24, 2015, 07:17:33 AM »
It's the evening of the 24th here, but it's already gone midnight in the Pacific (and I'm not staying up for it locally), so Happy Christmas, Yule and other celebrations to everyone!

OOOH I dont know what that is exactly but i want the finished product <3
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

-----------

twit~
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #13087 on: December 24, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »

Because of various traditional things happening at this time (Noche Buena, or the midnight feast Thing (basically what Shaeira's waiting for), I am awake for Christmas! Merry Christmas everybody! And a happy post-solstice! And a merry Saturnalia! And have a joyous season of weather extremes!

Ooh that looks interesting!
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Nietos

« Reply #13088 on: December 24, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
Happy birthday!

I second everything that 8 said. Gratulerer med dagen!
Sure! I don't know when/if I'll actually manage to have enough time to write the thing, but if I do, I'd be happy to post a translated summary or something. Anyway, the basic gist of the thesis is that most SSSS characters with nurturing roles are male (Mikkel being the cook and medic, Emil's interactions with Lalli and his cousins, Onni being protective of Tuuri and Lalli, and if we count the prologue characters, there's also Aksel being such a worrywart about his grandmother) and that's very interesting and cool and worth looking into.

Oh-ho, that looks really cool!

shaeira

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13089 on: December 24, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »
Because of various traditional things happening at this time (Noche Buena, or the midnight feast Thing (basically what Shaeira's waiting for), I am awake for Christmas! Merry Christmas everybody! And a happy post-solstice! And a merry Saturnalia! And have a joyous season of weather extremes!Ooh that looks interesting!

Hehe Maligayang Pasko Dane! I'm not even sure if we're gonna have a family Noche Buena but I'll stay up all night anyway and eat at midnight even if its by myself !\o/
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

-----------

twit~
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13090 on: December 24, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
GOD JUL!!
what d'you mean, "just" the 24th?? that's when christmas is, isn't it- oh wait. right. americans.

purple wyrm, that looks veeerrrry intruiging O:

I was out for a walk with my brother and grandmother, and we were apparently just gonna say hi to some lady she knows on the way, but before we knew it we were inside, sitting in a room full of romantic landscape paintings, drinking various warm beverages from roccoco style decorated cups, listenting to the old ladies discussing how and when people they knew died.
well, the tea was good.

an interesting christmas tradition fact that both my cultures seems to share - a czech fairytale movie named three nuts for cinderella (Tři oříšky pro Popelku / Tre nøtter for Askepott) that plays on both czech and norwegian televison every christmas eve. the norwegian version, however, is horrendously dubbed - or talked over, rather - by the same man for all the characters. norwegians refuse to see any other version, or re-dub it properly. tradition is tradition. i've never seen the norwegian version, since i spend every yule here in czech. in fact, i didn't even know it was a norwegian tradition! i didn't even know it was a specifically christmasy tradition to watch this movie, because my grandfather used to record all fairytale movies on VHS cassettes for me to watch when I came for the summer.

the movie is pretty good, though. as far as cinderella adaptions go, this one is the only one that i know of where cinderella crossdresses as a hunter and beats the prince in a hunting contest with a crossbow.
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13091 on: December 24, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
To those who're celebrating it:

God Jul
Hyvää Joulua
Joyeux Noël
Frohe Weihnachten
Merry/Happy Christmas

(I'll celebrate in the traditional Jewish fashion tomorrow)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13092 on: December 24, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
Anyway, the basic gist of the thesis is that most SSSS characters with nurturing roles are male (Mikkel being the cook and medic, Emil's interactions with Lalli and his cousins, Onni being protective of Tuuri and Lalli, and if we count the prologue characters, there's also Aksel being such a worrywart about his grandmother) and that's very interesting and cool and worth looking into.
There are actually more instances of that. Lalli counts as a protector, too, and likely occasionally brings food on the table as well, though we haven't seen that happen yet. Then there's Gunnar (though his role in pre-Rash Dalsnes is tied to the boat), and Stigs patience with his parents lasting longer than Ulrikas (but they are his parents, after all).

On the other hand, we have Sigrun being the first and apparently so far only main character to even think of hunting for food, and the y0 Finnish family had only Eino as a proactive male in the first place ... "against" his two sisters, wife, and the "remote competition" of Helmi running a restaurant ...

the movie is pretty good, though. as far as cinderella adaptions go, this one is the only one that i know of where cinderella crossdresses as a hunter and beats the prince in a hunting contest with a crossbow.
I guess you'll love Mirror Mirror, then.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13093 on: December 24, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(And now I'm thinking about what it would take to do Cards Against the Silent World)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #13094 on: December 24, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »

an interesting christmas tradition fact that both my cultures seems to share - a czech fairytale movie named three nuts for cinderella (Tři oříšky pro Popelku / Tre nøtter for Askepott) that plays on both czech and norwegian televison every christmas eve. the norwegian version, however, is horrendously dubbed - or talked over, rather - by the same man for all the characters. norwegians refuse to see any other version, or re-dub it properly. tradition is tradition. i've never seen the norwegian version, since i spend every yule here in czech. in fact, i didn't even know it was a norwegian tradition! i didn't even know it was a specifically christmasy tradition to watch this movie, because my grandfather used to record all fairytale movies on VHS cassettes for me to watch when I came for the summer.

I love that movie!!! I made Gwenno watch it in November because it was close enough to count for Christmas. :)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: