Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409350 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1185 on: November 09, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
Looks like next years vacation will be going to Krakow. Really looking forward to that, I've always wanted to visit Poland. Word has it it's absurdly cheap.

Y'all been thinking about vacation or are you staying home?

Probably staying home. I should try and find some work this summer. Will take a trip to southern Norway though. It's just not summer without it.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1186 on: November 09, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
This is why I'm in art school.

You - and everyone else - are such bright examples, aren't you? Drop-outs, people who don't study, I can see why. But art students?

Joking, duh :P Art is great.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1187 on: November 09, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
You - and everyone else - are such bright examples, aren't you? Drop-outs, people who don't study, I can see why. But art students?

Joking, duh :P Art is great.

:P One of the worst workaholics I know is an art student.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: November 09, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
Looks like next years vacation will be going to Krakow. Really looking forward to that, I've always wanted to visit Poland. Word has it it's absurdly cheap.

depends on where you're going to, compared to Germany it is rather cheap but in cities which attract many tourists prices are mostly a bit up to normal. I've been to Poznan once and it was amazing. I really liked it.

There is still a boat trip around the world to be planed. Hope you all live near water ;).

OK seriously I haven't planed on anything besides one festival, yet. As I finish my practical training am thinking about getting a new job first. If I have that, I will have to find a new flat and if there's some money left by than I will think about travelling again.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1189 on: November 09, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »
depends on where you're going to, compared to Germany it is rather cheap but in cities which attract many tourists prices are mostly a bit up to normal. I've been to Poznan once and it was amazing. I really liked it.

There is still a boat trip around the world to be planed. Hope you all live near water ;).

OK seriously I haven't planed on anything besides one festival, yet. As I finish my practical training am thinking about getting a new job first. If I have that, I will have to find a new flat and if there's some money left by than I will think about travelling again.

I'm Norwegian though, only places like Switzerland and Monte Carlo (the latter one is grossly overrated) is expensive in my eyes.

400 meters to the ocean actually. I've calculated it.

Fenris

« Reply #1190 on: November 09, 2014, 04:02:37 PM »
Y'all been thinking about vacation or are you staying home?
Currently saving up for a week-long trip to Russia this summer, and if the wallet allows it, a week in Denmark as well. Preferably during the height of the tourism season when my peninsula is riddled with actual people (the population go from about 300 people to a couple thousand during 'fellesferien'). Might sound odd to travel to a city to avoid people, but... I'm odd like that. Even if it happens every year, the weeks when my normally desolate home is full of people just seems wrong.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1191 on: November 09, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
Might sound odd to travel to a city to avoid people, but... I'm odd like that. Even if it happens every year, the weeks when my normally desolate home is full of people just seems wrong.

For me that situation's kind of unavoidable for several months of the year. There are hordes of Germans and Japanese people here at those times. They are usually polite and all but one literally has to dive into a beehive to get around when the season is at its climax. Luckily I live in a quiet part of the municipality.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1192 on: November 09, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
:P One of the worst workaholics I know is an art student.

I have a great work ethic when it comes to, y'know, art assignments. Art school means more drawing stuff and less reading stuff, yay!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1193 on: November 09, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
I have a great work ethic when it comes to, y'know, art assignments. Art school means more drawing stuff and less reading stuff, yay!

Which is also why I really hate art class. I can't stand it, not only does someone tell me exactly what I must draw, not only do they grade my drawing as if they were someone who can give a number to an art piece, but I also have to spend valuable reading time doing boring and stressful drawings (I love drawing, I'd just never go to art school).
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1194 on: November 09, 2014, 06:48:54 PM »
Which is also why I really hate art class. I can't stand it, not only does someone tell me exactly what I must draw, not only do they grade my drawing as if they were someone who can give a number to an art piece, but I also have to spend valuable reading time doing boring and stressful drawings (I love drawing, I'd just never go to art school).

I'm just all-over not a reader. I only read comics, and not even that often. The art classes in college are a lot looser than in high school because I think they want us to come up with our own interpretations for things. Maybe I just have easy teachers. And *so far* I don't have any grades yet.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #1195 on: November 09, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I've been to Krakow, the center town is pretty beautiful.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1196 on: November 09, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »
On the oldish topic of studying, I'm terrible at it, and only do it the night becore exams and the morning before tests.....I'm horrible. I think I have to be in the right mood and mindset to study, once I'm in the zone I really like to make fact sheets :)

And, I just finished my last exam for the year! Huzzah! I'm freeeeeee!

I think I Emil'd it....but whatever u____u what's done is done, what's thrown out a window is thrown out a window, and what's crazily scrawled in French is crazily scrawled in French....... Agh. I probably should heave at least proof-read it before leaving...*cough* there was a whole hour left *cough* but I just went into a crazy panic, shot my hand up, gave them the paper and literally jogged out of the exam hall looking like post-troll-Emil -____-
Why do I dooooo this??

Hmm, true. Although the trick is to just draw/make whatever you want and then the real art is convincing the teachers that yes, this is what they asked for. ("this IS the art you are looking for....") It's one thing to make fantastic art, but it's another to convince people that what you've made IS art, and fantastic >;3 which is why I could never survive in maths...... You have to use......*gasp* reality and fact!!

Agh man, I'm so jealous of the cool holiday plans u___u

:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1197 on: November 09, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
On the oldish topic of studying, I'm terrible at it, and only do it the night becore exams and the morning before tests.....I'm horrible. I think I have to be in the right mood and mindset to study, once I'm in the zone I really like to make fact sheets :)

And, I just finished my last exam for the year! Huzzah! I'm freeeeeee!

I think I Emil'd it....but whatever u____u what's done is done, what's thrown out a window is thrown out a window, and what's crazily scrawled in French is crazily scrawled in French....... Agh. I probably should heave at least proof-read it before leaving...*cough* there was a whole hour left *cough* but I just went into a crazy panic, shot my hand up, gave them the paper and literally jogged out of the exam hall looking like post-troll-Emil -____-
Why do I dooooo this??

Hmm, true. Although the trick is to just draw/make whatever you want and then the real art is convincing the teachers that yes, this is what they asked for. ("this IS the art you are looking for....") It's one thing to make fantastic art, but it's another to convince people that what you've made IS art, and fantastic >;3 which is why I could never survive in maths...... You have to use......*gasp* reality and fact!!

Agh man, I'm so jealous of the cool holiday plans u___u
Congrats on finishing a school year!  And at least the tests are over, that's what matters.
Math has potential to be quite evil.  Thankfully I'm finished with math classes, and never have to do any of them ever again.  I just have to use it in all my other classes...  .__.

For summer, my family always goes to the beach, and we have a fun time there.  I usually sit around the beach house and play guitar, because the shore is boring if nobody wants to swim (and nobody ever does).  Oh, and I'm going to my new step-uncle's house for Thanksgiving for a few days, later this month.  He's a doctor, but apparently he's also got a farm?  Not sure.  Either way, it's gonna be fun.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1198 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
Congrats on finishing a school year!  And at least the tests are over, that's what matters.
Math has potential to be quite evil.  Thankfully I'm finished with math classes, and never have to do any of them ever again.  I just have to use it in all my other classes...  .__.

For summer, my family always goes to the beach, and we have a fun time there.  I usually sit around the beach house and play guitar, because the shore is boring if nobody wants to swim (and nobody ever does).  Oh, and I'm going to my new step-uncle's house for Thanksgiving for a few days, later this month.  He's a doctor, but apparently he's also got a farm?  Not sure.  Either way, it's gonna be fun.

Ooooh! That sounds awesome! My family usually go to the beach for Christmas and new year, but neither of my parents have summer holidays and Christmas/summer is always hectic-season for the orchard......so no beach I think ;___; just more farm labour. Even on Christmas.
*is immensely jealous and envious of Eich's family* ;___;
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1199 on: November 09, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
Ooooh! That sounds awesome! My family usually go to the beach for Christmas and new year, but neither of my parents have summer holidays and Christmas/summer is always hectic-season for the orchard......so no beach I think ;___; just more farm labour. Even on Christmas.
*is immensely jealous and envious of Eich's family* ;___;
I had a friend from Chile in high school, and she would tell us about her Christmas beach trips every year, and it was always very unusual to think about.  Partly because every Christmas movie ever involves snow and fireplaces, and partly because during Christmas time I'm used to it being cold and being near fire places. 

Farm work is just... I have respect for you and your family.  I can barely do yard work without feeling like my arms are about to fly out of their sockets.  Hmm.  (Possibly horrible suggestion) If anyone's willing to sell the farm one day, that would open up the possibility of vacation time.
Feel free to PM.