Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409538 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12930 on: December 11, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
Ancient :P
............................. of course

norwegian teacher owns two dogs of her own, two gray poodles, one is a dwarf and the other is almost completely blind/deaf and keeps walking into things.

Haiz: I think you'd like Tasmania. And the Cradle Mountain walking track alone is worth the trip. But if you ever visit me, do it in winter, when the weather is cool.
seeing as that would be summer vacation time for me, that's the best time to do it anyway : D
you'll know where to find me.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12931 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
SectoBoss: that was probably an appreciated gift for a Latin teacher.

Gladius is not really my style of sword, but my husband is an enthusiast of things Roman, so when we married my wedding gift to him was a Napoleonic-era copy of a gladius - they were made for some of Napoleon's officers, and this one still has its hallmark (crowned 'N' with a star). The original sheath was damaged so I had a replica made. He loves it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12932 on: December 11, 2015, 01:46:25 PM »
Hmm dusty of Classics teachers... I had one back in university, for a class on ancient/classical art, who was so old he was practically an ancient artifact himself. Great teacher, though - provided one could stay awake through his lectures (though many did not).
And now I'm feeling all nostalgic.

And finally the forum works for me, hooray
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12933 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
SectoBoss: that was probably an appreciated gift for a Latin teacher.

Gladius is not really my style of sword, but my husband is an enthusiast of things Roman, so when we married my wedding gift to him was a Napoleonic-era copy of a gladius - they were made for some of Napoleon's officers, and this one still has its hallmark (crowned 'N' with a star). The original sheath was damaged so I had a replica made. He loves it.

It was indeed! And that sounds like a fantastic wedding gift!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
« Reply #12934 on: December 11, 2015, 06:58:33 PM »
I spent $50 dollars on a video game, which is a decent amount of money, but whatever, I love games.

Today I pop it in, get ready to enjoy the FFFFffff outta this game and then it hits me:  motion sickness.  This has happened with a few of the recent video games I purchased.  Is it some new trend in gaming or am I just getting sensitive?

Really disappointed I can't play this game, though.  :'(

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12935 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »
I spent $50 dollars on a video game, which is a decent amount of money, but whatever, I love games.

Today I pop it in, get ready to enjoy the FFFFffff outta this game and then it hits me:  motion sickness.  This has happened with a few of the recent video games I purchased.  Is it some new trend in gaming or am I just getting sensitive?

If it's a PC game try to find out if it's possible to increase the camera FOV (field of view) or decrease/turn off head bobbing. If that's not an option then if I remember correctly sitting further away from the screen and playing in a well lit room is supposed to help with motion sickness.

It's definitely not a new trend that is causing this. It is usually a problem in first person games that have very small FOVs but can sometimes be a problem with third person games as well. Games that have small FOVs are usually console games that are designed to be played on a TV where the player is sitting kind of far away. PC games sometimes have the option to change the FOV  in the settings or by editing some files. That was actually one of the reasons why I decided to move to PC a couple of years ago.
Pretentious? Moi?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #12936 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »

If there's an option for motion blur, get that turned off immediately.
If it's on PC, make sure you're getting a consistent framerate (~30fps is the cutoff point for human vision being able to discern the image as slower) to make the image more consistent.
Motion sickness really is horrible- good luck!

In other news, looking at the forum stats, today (11th December, at 7:54 apparently) we had the new record for highest concurrent user count at 128 users online!
Fandom keeps growing and growing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:21:54 PM by Para »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12937 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
In other news, looking at the forum stats, today (11th December, at 7:54 apparently) we had the new record for highest concurrent user count at 128 users online!
Fandom keeps growing and growing.

That maaaaaaaay have been due to the fact that the forum was going back and forth between two servers... (sorry to burst any bubbles)

Oh wait that was 7:54 your time! You were right! Wow! Go fandom! \o/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:36:50 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
« Reply #12938 on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
Double H & Para- Two are PC games and I have adjusted the FOV, put in in 3rd person, change the frame rate.. I the PC games to be tolerable enough for a 30 minute stretch, although I still will feel a bit queasy.  It's worth it!  I never got HL2 to work for me, though.

The game I referred to in my post was a ps3 game (the evil within) and I'm not even certain what's the deal with that game. 

Also whoooo I am part of growing fandom!!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #12939 on: December 12, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »
So, I just finished taking finals.  Had a pretty stressful week.  Spent pretty much all of my time studying, cause I had five of them this semester.  One was on Tuesday, two on Thursday, and two on Friday, so I had to prepare very far ahead of time for all of them.  I think I managed to pass them all, but I've never done so much academic work before... not just for finals, but for all of this semester as well.  Also did a drug screening today for work, but I got sick during finals so I was too dehydrated to do their test.  Drank like 2 bottles of water and a coke, cause if I couldn't test and they had to close, I'd be marked as a failure and probably wouldn't have gotten to go to work next semester.  BUT it all worked out, and, again, I think I also passed all my classes.  And now I'm home with my family again.  Almost fell on the ground and cried when I got home... my sister and her husband moved back from Oklahoma, and they're staying here for now.  They were making homemade ice cream. ;u;  I'm just so very, very, very glad that this semester is behind me.  I think I'm going to lie in bed for a while, and not do anything thing for a couple days. 

This is mainly just a "I'm not dead" post, really.  Now that I have my freedom back again, I'll be on the chat a little more often.  :3  I've barely been on in the last couple of weeks, but now I have two whole blessed weeks to not do anything. ;u; 
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12940 on: December 12, 2015, 02:12:27 AM »
Oh my god. I just typed up a huge post on my phone, with replies to people and a big summary of my interstate trip. And when I hit Post.
My phone crashed.
I just.
No.
NO.

Aww, Owl, I hate when that happens.  The only consolation is that at least it's fresh in your mind.... yes?  No?

But yay for having a great trip to Melbourne!  And the more you fly, the more you'll get used to it. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12941 on: December 12, 2015, 02:16:16 AM »
So, I just finished taking finals.  <snip>  I'm just so very, very, very glad that this semester is behind me.  I think I'm going to lie in bed for a while, and not do anything thing for a couple days. 

This is mainly just a "I'm not dead" post, really.  Now that I have my freedom back again, I'll be on the chat a little more often.  :3  I've barely been on in the last couple of weeks, but now I have two whole blessed weeks to not do anything. ;u;

Eich!  You're not dead!  Yay!  We hope you approve of what we've been doing with the forum -- spiffed it up a little.  (Points with pride at the technical people.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12942 on: December 12, 2015, 02:29:35 AM »
I knoooooow. I could wait a few more hours until I'm home but I'll probably be too tired then -__-
So.
- HAIZ: yes please do come. There are things on in winter you would like: dark mofo and winter festivals, a folk festival but I'm not sure if that's winter, and you might like the west coast and forests where wild Haizes can roam free! Also rocks, forest tunnel slides and hang gliding. And wildlife. And bush walks. And rock museum.

- EICH: CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR EXAMS YAAAAAAAAA you absolutely deserve a rest now ;-; also home made icecream sounds amazing.

- MELBOURNE: panem fashion. Horrible city rat people. But more range which is why they dress cool. Because they simply have cool clothes easily available.

- DRESSES: I went shopping with mum, it was nice. I took photos of dresses. Open invitation to discuss dresses and fashion advice because I didn't buy one: if I want to get one I can just order it in from the Hobart shop :)

But Owl... you did post about this!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12943 on: December 12, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
Whoever came up with the concept of working Saturdays, is an idiot. This is a transferred working day - today we have to work instead of 24 December (why can't we get that day as a normal holiday?). There is even school today despite the fact that 24 December is during the winter holiday.
These working Saturdays are totally ineffective. Lot of people (like most of my colleagues) are skulking from work anyway, and the fools who are in the offices are just frustrated and reluctant to do any real work.
I got some emails from Poland, so it seems they're suffering from this idiocy too  :-\
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12944 on: December 12, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
Owl: sympathy on the phone. But I think your first post did actually go up, probably in the fraction of a second between when you tried to send and your phone crashed.

I'm glad you liked Melbourne, even if you didn't get to see much. It's a city with fascinating history in its holes and corners, and has crammed a lot into its 200-odd (sometimes very odd) years. Remind me sometime to tell you the stories of how the Parliamentary mace was lost, or the history of the Syme tomb.

If Haiz ever visits Tassie, be sure to show hir the Horizontal Forest, and apple orchards and poppy fields and heathland......and I know you have one bunch of apple growers down there who still do the ritual of wassailing the trees after apple harvest. And Westbury and Ferntree and Cygnet. So much stuff in that small island.

Eich: CONGRATULATIONS on surviving to finish your studies. I do hope things will be easier now. And that the icecream was good!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!