Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410388 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12915 on: December 10, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
Partially, I think it depends on what the freeze is for.  Is it a "sure, I'd love to go for coffee!" or "désolé, mais non, merci" or you want to tell him to feck right off because he's interrupting you and, hello, you have earbuds on, you're not inviting conversation).

It comes down a bit to being comfortable in your own skin (this assumes you don't have social anxiety -- that's a rough one and I can't offer much advice).
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12916 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
*Sighs* Forget that. I assume I'm just stupid.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #12917 on: December 10, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
If you don't like heat, you could always try Tasmania, where Owl lives, it's cooler than the mainland, though still hotter than Norway.

*echoes this* I used to live there, after all. We tend to get a heatwave of a week or three at absolute most where it can get between 25 and 32 C (usually never above 29, though) in January. Avoid January (and if you really can't deal with above 20C temperature, December and February also) and you will be fine.

And it rains all the time. I sometimes think Tasmania is the sponge of Australia, it steals all the rain that should go to the drier areas, heh. (And all the money... and all the resources... *cough* BLACK HOLE)

Also it has a smaller selection of dangerous snakes/spiders (and no funnelwebs). And no dangerous (to normal, adult humans) large predators apart from dogs, and, well, every place has dogs. And it is quite beautiful.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fenris

« Reply #12918 on: December 10, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
*echoes this* I used to live there, after all. We tend to get a heatwave of a week or three at absolute most where it can get between 25 and 32 C (usually never above 29, though) in January. Avoid January (and if you really can't deal with above 20C temperature, December and February also) and you will be fine.

And it rains all the time. I sometimes think Tasmania is the sponge of Australia, it steals all the rain that should go to the drier areas, heh. (And all the money... and all the resources... *cough* BLACK HOLE)

Also it has a smaller selection of dangerous snakes/spiders (and no funnelwebs). And no dangerous (to normal, adult humans) large predators apart from dogs, and, well, every place has dogs. And it is quite beautiful.
Sounds like Tasmania is the only actually habitable part of the land down under.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #12919 on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
I can't handle anything that pushes 20 °C.

A few years back we had a heatwave where the temperature didn't dip below 20°C for nine days. Even at 3 in the morning it was hovering around 21 or 22. And the days were getting to between 38 and 42.

It was not... pleasant.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12920 on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
SO WINDY
There's flooding and mudslides all over this side of the state (luckily, not much more than Big Puddles here in the city, and I live on a hill)
Also it's been alternating between bright-sunny-blue-sky and bucketing rain about every hour or so. why.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #12921 on: December 10, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »
SO WINDY
There's flooding and mudslides all over this side of the state (luckily, not much more than Big Puddles here in the city, and I live on a hill)
Also it's been alternating between bright-sunny-blue-sky and bucketing rain about every hour or so. why.
SAME. :c Earlier today it was hailing super duper hard for a minute or so and 5 minutes later it was sunny again.

❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12922 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »
When life is like a movie by Kormákur Baltasar:

Take a Finnish customer service person. Add two customers that both talk to her simultaneously about their separate orders; both orders are complicated and the Finn is trying to split in two following both customers, neither of which is willing to step back and let the other one go first.
Add a music teacher with a group of children in tow suddenly burst in through the doors and happily announce they'll now play us Christmas music. All kids dig out recorders (why recorders, please, anything but recorders) on cue and begin to play a Christmas song.

What... what happened...?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12923 on: December 11, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »

Take a Finnish customer service person. Add two customers that both talk to her simultaneously about their separate orders; both orders are complicated and the Finn is trying to split in two following both customers, neither of which is willing to step back and let the other one go first.
Add a music teacher with a group of children in tow suddenly burst in through the doors and happily announce they'll now play us Christmas music. All kids dig out recorders (why recorders, please, anything but recorders) on cue and begin to play a Christmas song.

Good gods. : D I'm sorry, but I'm laughing.
Why recorders is a good question, in the hands of children those things are the instrument of the devil.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12924 on: December 11, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
Haiz: Glad you found your calendar bits! If you don't like heat, you could always try Tasmania, where Owl lives, it's cooler than the mainland, though still hotter than Norway. East Gippsland, Canberra, and the Snowies, and parts of the Blue Mountains get cold enough to snow in winter. Still hot summers, just not as hot for as long. The offshore islands like Flinders or King or Kangaroo Islands are probably the best choice.

Looking on the bright side, I could always be in Coober Pedy. Or Marble Bar. Or Kalgoorlie!

*echoes both*

JOOOOOOIIIIINNNNN MEEEEEEEEE I'M SO LONELY AAAAWWWAAAAGGHHHHH
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12925 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
*echoes both*

JOOOOOOIIIIINNNNN MEEEEEEEEE I'M SO LONELY AAAAWWWAAAAGGHHHHH
You, Róisín and Lenny sure are making some compelling arguments hahahaha
If i ever get the opportunity to go, I will! I'd definitely love to visit Tasmania.

pffffffffffhahhahahahahaha omg wow. well, at least recorders are better than these?

I visited my old school today, and was reminded that my former norwegian teacher is a the kind of person that interrupts conversations to point at dogs. the school has a lot of windows and is situated at a place where a lot of people walk their dogs outside.
another fact, she had the same teacher in classical history as I did. And she's not exactly young. just how old is the teacher in classical history
you'll know where to find me.

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12926 on: December 11, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »

another fact, she had the same teacher in classical history as I did. And she's not exactly young. just how old is the teacher in classical history

Ancient :P

My colleague loves to point at dogs too and the office has a huge window facing the street...
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12927 on: December 11, 2015, 09:15:31 AM »
*Sighs* Forget that. I assume I'm just stupid.

That's a very poor assumption, since all indications are that you're not.

(For what it's worth, I frequently think of the perfect reply to something a day later)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12928 on: December 11, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Haiz: I think you'd like Tasmania. And the Cradle Mountain walking track alone is worth the trip. But if you ever visit me, do it in winter, when the weather is cool.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12929 on: December 11, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »

This seems to be a recurring theme in my experience. When I took Latin GCSE (school age 14-16, for those not familiar with UK education), our teacher was a man called Mr Butler who retired halfway through the two-year course. Our replacement was a classics teacher from a nearby school - who had been taught Latin by Mr Butler when said replacement was our age, about 40 years ago.
On a side note: our retirement gift to Mr Butler? An replica Roman gladius shortsword. Last we heard, he uses it to open his letters now.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3