Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387200 times)

Fenris

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12600 on: November 27, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »
Fenris: harking back to the city vs rural debate of a few pages back: Walhalla and Giles sound more your speed, or Comet. Comet is in outback Queensland, and is so named because it was founded in the year of the last-but-one pass of Halley's comet (1906 or thereabouts? I don't remember.) It had one building, back when I lived nearby at Tomahawk Creek.

Walhalla is an East Gippsland ghost town; population when I lived there was 17, scattered over what used to be a largish town and its suburbs. And it was paradise, I loved living there. Place didn't even get electricity until many years after I had to leave.

Giles is out in the desert near the SA/WA border, and is the most isolated community in Australia. Population back when I spent most time there was 5, I think it's now 3. Also a paradise. I never actually had a home at Giles, but based out of there for several periods of a few months each when I was working in the nearby desert. Had a friend who lived there for many years, working at the weather station there for six months of each year before going off to his summer job of cook on an Antarctic base. Yes, he was a bit of a hermit! It was great for him because his serious hobby was cartography, and at the time a lot of the country around Giles was completely unmapped.

That thing where everybody in a small town knows your business: my husband reckons the way to tell natural city people from natural bushies is how they react to that. Natural city people recoil in horror from the idea of everybody knowing everything about them, people designed to live in tiny villages think it's great.
Sounds a bit more my speed, yeah, although I'm content where I am. If I have to, I can hike for an hour or so to the bus stop for the towns, and otherwise a rural community (generally, there's a bit of a distance between each farm, barring the village a bit aways of course) of a few hundred means some social stuff happening (like a porridge-lunch this week and some beer drinking earlier). Mind, its more about the people than anything for me. In general I prefer the rural folk I've met to the urban folk, with some notable exceptions on both counts (oldest guy in the resident rich family for example threatened my sister and a local boy with a shotgun a few years back).

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12601 on: November 27, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
Yeah, you get all kinds! In city and country both. Mostly I get on better with country folk, especially those out on the farms and in the serious outback, because they think the way I do. But there are nice people and rotten people everywhere.

Longest I ever lived completely alone was about eleven and a half months, and I liked it well.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #12602 on: November 27, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
Oh my gosh my grandma just walked up behind me, saw my desktop background...

*Survives Thanksgiving*
*Comes back to stories like this*
*realizes he just missed some massive chances with family...*

That is a wonderful story, Piney! And Lalli is sooo an astronaut...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12603 on: November 28, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
-Tuuri is a cow because of her mask and the shape of her head. And she's praying.

-Lalli is an astronaut.

I've been giggling at these two interpretations for a while now, crew members Praying Cow and her cousin Astronaut. (Mikkel is the crew dad though!)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12604 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:56 AM »
Pathetic little snowflakes are falling from the sky, but they melt as soon as they reach the ground  :-\
Anyway, it's still nice and gives the right mood for making Advent wreaths.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12605 on: November 28, 2015, 06:38:55 AM »
All the snow that fell in trondheim has melted already, and everything there was wet and grey and ugh when I left it. I've been snoozing on the train for a couple hours and woke up in Røros right now, which is a completely different matter. It's a really pretty copper mining town protected from the coast climate in a mountain pocket or something, so it's much colder and less windier than trondheim - and currently covered in white. All the buildings and the trees were white, and the sky was a brilliant blue and I saw the Sky Orb for first time in days and made me feel much better than I thought it would.

edit: is train stations announcing how high up they are a normal thing or a norway thing
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:42:12 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12606 on: November 28, 2015, 06:58:13 AM »
Snow you say?

I wouldn't complain but this all fell during two nights and one day, on Thursday there was no snow. Looking at my friends' FB statuses it seems like Breiðholt has twice the amount than the rest of Reykjavík but who's surprised, for some reason Breiðholt always gets the worst weather (it's like the weather gods hate us or something).

edit: is train stations announcing how high up they are a normal thing or a norway thing

Sorry, can't help you there. One of my home countries doesn't have trains and the other one doesn't have mountains...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12607 on: November 28, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »
*Looks at Laufey's photos* Mmmh. It's this time of the year I begin to think I'm born in the wrong country...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #12608 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »

Such winter. Many snow.
One of these days I'm going to pack up and move to Lapland.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12609 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »

I've taken trains in several countries and no one but Norway feels a need to point out you're 17 meters a.s.l.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12610 on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
I've taken trains in several countries and no one but Norway feels a need to point out you're 17 meters a.s.l.

I KNEW IT.

im currently at 222 a.s.l. if anyone was wondering about that. The highest ive been today was 500-something. trondheim s is at 5.
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12611 on: November 28, 2015, 09:02:30 AM »
im currently at 222 a.s.l. if anyone was wondering about that. The highest ive been today was 500-something. trondheim s is at 5.

The highest station is Finse - a.k.a planet Hoth from Star Wars Episode V. Love that place.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12612 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
Snow you say?

I wouldn't complain but this all fell during two nights and one day, on Thursday there was no snow. Looking at my friends' FB statuses it seems like Breiðholt has twice the amount than the rest of Reykjavík but who's surprised, for some reason Breiðholt always gets the worst weather (it's like the weather gods hate us or something).

Sorry, can't help you there. One of my home countries doesn't have trains and the other one doesn't have mountains...

Yesterday, the NY metro area had record high temperatures and it won't be much cooler today.    It's almost December.  I'm itching to strap my board on!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12613 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:12 AM »
The highest station is Finse - a.k.a planet Hoth from Star Wars Episode V. Love that place.
Hooooooo !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12614 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
Snow you say?

Mrrrrr. This is not fair!

The great snow in the hills of Budapest right now:

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: