Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409173 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12570 on: November 27, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
Another forum I read has a special thread for self promotion where people are allowed to advertise their stuff. I think that is a good compromise that allows members to sell something they make and still ban spammy ads in the rest of the forum.

Well, the Art Commission Thread is kind of like that. So far it looks like people have only put up general I-am-available-for-art posts, but I don't think it would be a stretch to advertise more specific things there too.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12571 on: November 27, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
Hmm, hmm, *nods*
HMMMMmmmm I would like to make one but I also have other things I need to make like dad's business cards (heck and a whole logo shebang ;-;) and a cool art swap I need to kick myself in the butt and doooo.

How do people manage projects and time management?? ;o; Do you have like,,,,super lists?
making a calendar doesn't have to be as much work as I make it seem though, especially if it's a gift for only one person! That's actually how the whole thing started, mom got me one of those "draw-your-own-calendar" templates, and i was. probably nine or something, just drew a lot of dragons and birds and unicorns on it a couple days before christmas. The next year I did the same, except we didn't bother buying a template. My mom liked it so much we made copies of it as a gift to my grandmother too, and the next year we made copies for all our family members (it's a great ploy to avoid buying gifts), and then I started giving them to friends, too, and I brought copies to christmas markets arranged by whatever school I went to, and then I started to sell them to others and... before long it was just a Thing. I make calendars now. Honestly I should sign up for some internet art shop site thing so I can have some semblance of professionality but I never do, I just announce it on facebook and hope my acquaintances want to buy them for themselves and as gifts to others hahaha ha.......

Well, the Art Commission Thread is kind of like that. So far it looks like people have only put up general I-am-available-for-art posts, but I don't think it would be a stretch to advertise more specific things there too.
I've been thinking about that, too. It's not exactly a commission, but I might make a post in that thread once I have some scans to present I think!

on a completely random note I think I might've caught up to fimby in post counts. or at least for a brief moment.
you'll know where to find me.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #12572 on: November 27, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »

Thank you Ana :).

We have several ways here for artists to promote themselves, either via the art comissions or via linking to their tumblrs/websites. Since this board was not designed for trade, this is as far as we go. There is various platforms where people can promote their stuff. There is also always the way of pm-ing someone about information on platforms/websites artists use to promote/sell their works.

To quote from the rules:
Don't attempt to sell any kind of merchandise.

If we allow artists to sell, we will have to allow other stuff, too in future. The Art Commission Thread is as far as we will go for the moment.

Edit: Artworks are not merchandise in general, we are aware of that. Still this board is not a platform for trading.
Edit II: Haiz you might put the pics into the art comissions thread and maybe link to wherever you will promote your unicorn callendar in future? I think that way you can promote it without actually doing the trade here? You could tell that you are doing callendar requests or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:29:32 AM by kjeks »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12573 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
I think this is the year black friday became a thing around here. I remeber last year seeing some ads for a black friday sales and that was like "oh that's cute they're doing that american thing" but this year it's like every other store is having a black friday sale.

Apparently I'm not imagining that because I just checked a news site while writing this and there was a story about how it's never been bigger here in iceland.
Pretentious? Moi?

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #12574 on: November 27, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
I think this is the year black friday became a thing around here. I remeber last year seeing some ads for a black friday sales and that was like "oh that's cute they're doing that american thing" but this year it's like every other store is having a black friday sale.

Apparently I'm not imagining that because I just checked a news site while writing this and there was a story about how it's never been bigger here in iceland.

I hear it's becoming a thing over there in Europe. Not necessarily a good thing, Black Fridays are awful, at least in my opinion... waaay too many people out shopping.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12575 on: November 27, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
I hear it's becoming a thing over there in Europe. Not necessarily a good thing, Black Fridays are awful, at least in my opinion... waaay too many people out shopping.

It's picking up steam over in Canada too, and that really grinds my gears. Though I'd probably mind a little less if they called it something else.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12576 on: November 27, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »
It's picking up steam over in Canada too, and that really grinds my gears. Though I'd probably mind a little less if they called it something else.

Yes same.

* Feartheviolas hides indoors away from the shops
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #12577 on: November 27, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
* Feartheviolas hides indoors away from the shops

Seconded. I don't think I've ever gone to the store on Black Friday. Maybe the grocery store, but that's it. It's just too much.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #12578 on: November 27, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
I've never left the house on black Friday. Too many people with too much aggression for me :I
YEET

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #12579 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
A friend and I used to have a tradition of going to our friends' yarn shop and knitting all day on the day after Thanksgiving. It was a nice tradition. If we bought anything, it was more yarn. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12580 on: November 27, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
Uuugh what a day. It's never a good sign when the bossman hands you ONE order and says you'll have to finish it today and indeed, seven mid-size pictures that had to be set in floating (attached on top of a passe-partout instead of behind) which takes lots of measuring and aiming and holding one's breath to get it right + some other extra hurdles each pic. I finished them but it did take most of the day... the rest being full of other pieces to frame since we're swamped with work.

I left a bit early to catch a bus, but alas we had a big-ish snowfall last night and through the day and that messed up the traffic. 20 min bus ride took 55 min and I barely managed to run to the post office to pick up a parcel before it closed. It was an amazing sprint though, you should have seen me go. Especially when coming outside I saw my bus connection almost about to leave so I did another amazing sprint and caught it, hah.

Now I'm finally home and I should start to make dinner but I made the mistake of checking today's SSSS update and... um... I'll be at my drawing desk* for a long time now, I need to get these feels on paper.

* By drawing desk I mean the sofa table that's really low and not suited for painting at all, but you can't stop me now.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12581 on: November 27, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
(snop)
Now I'm finally home and I should start to make dinner but I made the mistake of checking today's SSSS update and... um... I'll be at my drawing desk* for a long time now, I need to get these feels on paper.

* By drawing desk I mean the sofa table that's really low and not suited for painting at all, but you can't stop me now.

Mannn that sounds like one heck of a day.
Getting those feels down, however... I entirely encourage that. 8 ) Yesss do it do it do it. (A nice end to a long day, perhaps?)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #12582 on: November 27, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »

Do Both eat and draw the feels out

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12583 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »
Heard a couple large chains touting "Black Friday" (yes, in English) in radio ads on the way to work. I guess they'll find out shortly how many Germans still associate a "black Friday" with a stock exchange crash ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12584 on: November 27, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
on a completely random note I think I might've caught up to fimby in post counts. or at least for a brief moment.

Congrats with your random note

seven mid-size pictures that had to be set in floating (attached on top of a passe-partout instead of behind) which takes lots of measuring and aiming and holding one's breath to get it right + some other extra hurdles each pic

*nods slowly* mm, mm, I see I see... Sounds hella tough wingardium leviosarrrrr