Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387577 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12480 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
"Maybe the true screaming anon was the friends we made along the way"
- the thrilling conclusion (?)

anyway
Spoiler: calendar project progress • show

Person: so hey how are you doing?

Me:

F O U R  M O R E  U N I C O R N S

Person: *slowly backs away*

Feeling that it should be made into a pendant at some point.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12481 on: November 22, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »
Your unicorn seems to be thinking "Hu, which fall ? Staying dignified, staying dignified." ^^ Also, Celtic inspiration, I love this one :)
ahhh yes this was definitely my attempt at making some sort of celtic knotwork unicorn a la book of kells, and then just......... doing somethign weird. thanks!

Feeling that it should be made into a pendant at some point.
!!!
that's an excellent idea actually
a really weird pendant but i like weird pendants

* Feartheviolas wonders how haiz will feel about unicorns after this endeavour
you'll know where to find me.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #12482 on: November 22, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
Random Science Fact of the Day: you can tell the major pollinators in an area by looking at the wildflowers. Bees see best in the blue and violet end of the spectrum (even into ultraviolet), while birds and butterflies see reds better. Therefore in Europe, where bees are major pollinators, there are many blue flowers, while in North America and Africa, where birds and butterflies do more of the pollinating, there are more red flowers. I don't know what the major pollinators are on the other continents, but if anyone knows what the wildflowers look like, we could make an educated guess!

This ends Random Science Fact of the Day
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12483 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
Well, here we have all the pollinators: birds, butterflies and moths, beetles (lots and lots of beetles), flower wasps, bees both native and european, and various small animals, both mammals and marsupials. There are even some heaths, lilies and some underground-flowering orchids that are pollinated by slugs. Accordingly we have all the flower colours, with blue being the rarest. Different flower colours dominate at different seasons, cycling through the year to attract the dominant pollinators of the time. And some flowers only open at night, for moths and nocturnal beetles. Other flowers change colour and/or scent over several days, to attract different pollinators (Brunfelsia), or to indicate that a flower has already been done and is now closed for business (Honeysuckle).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #12484 on: November 22, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »
Random Science Fact of the Day: you can tell the major pollinators in an area by looking at the wildflowers. Bees see best in the blue and violet end of the spectrum (even into ultraviolet), while birds and butterflies see reds better. Therefore in Europe, where bees are major pollinators, there are many blue flowers, while in North America and Africa, where birds and butterflies do more of the pollinating, there are more red flowers. I don't know what the major pollinators are on the other continents, but if anyone knows what the wildflowers look like, we could make an educated guess!

This ends Random Science Fact of the Day

Huh, I didn't know that... Interesting!
Most of our wildflowers here are blue or violet (as far as I was able to notice), so the bees are major pollinators in South America?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #12485 on: November 22, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »

That's really cool! Especially the part about the flowers that change over multiple days: I'd like to see that!

Huh, I didn't know that... Interesting!
Most of our wildflowers here are blue or violet (as far as I was able to notice), so the bees are major pollinators in South America?

I'm not sure, but it could be! Or there could be another type of pollinator that prefers blue and violet. Róisín mentioned beetles, and I have no clue what colors they see best in. Depending on where you live, bats could be big pollinators too. It's really interesting to see how plants and animals in an environment have grown around each other like this :)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #12486 on: November 22, 2015, 11:17:39 PM »
I was having a good day when just now the only electrical socket in my whole room decides to cut off. I have absolutely no idea what to do now... like, that's not a thing that maintenance can fix, right?? There's a plug in the bathroom that I can charge things with, but my fridge is plugged into this one......... help ._.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12487 on: November 22, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »
I was having a good day when just now the only electrical socket in my whole room decides to cut off. I have absolutely no idea what to do now... like, that's not a thing that maintenance can fix, right?? There's a plug in the bathroom that I can charge things with, but my fridge is plugged into this one......... help ._.

I would talk to the building people. Trying to fix that yourself is dangerous. Even if maintenance can't fix it, maybe they can call someone who can fix it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12488 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
I would talk to the building people. Trying to fix that yourself is dangerous. Even if maintenance can't fix it, maybe they can call someone who can fix it.

Ohhhh no, I wasn't going to do it myself! Maintenance is who we're supposed to contact if we have room problems. I just don't know how they even fix these kinds of things. Also, last time I contacted maintenance, they didn't get to me for a few days...

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #12489 on: November 22, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »

* Adrai looks around for a spare plug to mail to Piney

Hope you can get things sorted out soon!
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12490 on: November 23, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »

Could be that you blew a fuse.  That is actually not hard to fix, assuming Maintenance shows up.  Do you have lights in your room, or is it pitch-black?

(It reminds me of when the power cut off in my apartment a few days ago.  There I was sitting in pitch dark... EXCEPT that my laptop was 100% charged up and glowing brightly!)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12491 on: November 23, 2015, 12:26:12 AM »
Could be that you blew a fuse.  That is actually not hard to fix, assuming Maintenance shows up.  Do you have lights in your room, or is it pitch-black?

(It reminds me of when the power cut off in my apartment a few days ago.  There I was sitting in pitch dark... EXCEPT that my laptop was 100% charged up and glowing brightly!)

No, the lights are fine, it's literally just the one Important Socket. And I wasn't even touching the cords or the power strip or anything; just all of a sudden my clock and desk lamp went out. (and I've checked that it's the socket, not the power strip)
Really good thing that it wasn't all my electricity, because that would probably mean mine wasn't the only room. I guess I'm lucky.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12492 on: November 23, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
No, the lights are fine, it's literally just the one Important Socket. And I wasn't even touching the cords or the power strip or anything; just all of a sudden my clock and desk lamp went out. (and I've checked that it's the socket, not the power strip)
Really good thing that it wasn't all my electricity, because that would probably mean mine wasn't the only room. I guess I'm lucky.

Hm, that's really bothersome just the same. I guess the only option is to plug the important things to another socket with an extension cord and wait for maintenance, hopefully they'll take care of it soon. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12493 on: November 23, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
Hm, that's really bothersome just the same. I guess the only option is to plug the important things to another socket with an extension cord and wait for maintenance, hopefully they'll take care of it soon. :-\

If only I had an extension cord... My power strip's only 5 feet long and that's all I have. At least I won't have to do work tomorrow night that requires my desk lamp. (My bed is lofted and my desk is under it - it gets dark down there.) And I'm leaving on Wednesday for Thanksgiving, so if they don't show up on Monday or Tuesday, I'm gonna have to eat all of my perishables -_-

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12494 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:27 AM »
The weather is absolutely gross, going to work was like walking through a car wash with feet in slush buckets and someone throwing things at your head. Now I'm safely indoors and the wind's shaking the windows, I can't see through them for the rain and the weather forecast this morning can be summed up as "you'll hate it for the rest of the week" so ew. Very much not looking forward to going outside again later on when I go home. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: