Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409134 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1155 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Your "anthem knowing glasses" wouldn't happen to be "google glasses" would they =P

They're not! I learn anthems because... because I want to. I'm a normal teenager, I swear!

If I did sing it, I'd do the obnoxious vocal gymnastics that some singers like to do with that song.
Pfft, that's about as much as I remember.  "... banner yet wave... (something about explosions) was proof through the night..."
Yeah.  That's all I got. 
Aw, and now my nation has officially declared its shame of me.

Nuuu Eich, it hasn't! It's just me that likes learning anthems for the sake of it. I also remember that it ends with "Land of the free and home of the brave", but have forgotten evrything in middle.

I suppose no one is really interested in having me write down the lyrics to the German/English/complete Italian anthems, so I'll just shut up...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1156 on: November 08, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
They're not! I learn anthems because... because I want to. I'm a normal teenager, I swear!

Nuuu Eich, it hasn't! It's just me that likes learning anthems for the sake of it. I also remember that it ends with "Land of the free and home of the brave", but have forgotten evrything in middle.

I suppose no one is really interested in having me write down the lyrics to the German/English/complete Italian anthems, so I'll just shut up...

Hey, everyone needs a hobby! Turns out I can't record our anthem for you though, it just feels wrong.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1157 on: November 08, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

As far as you don't write every verse of the original German anthem down, do as you please ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #1158 on: November 08, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
They're not! I learn anthems because... because I want to.

That makes two of us - though this far I know all the words for only German and Japanese anthems in addition to our own (and the rest of the lyrics for Das Lied Der Deutschen). These are necessary for singing along while watching football world championships ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1159 on: November 08, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
The complete German anthem? (because you're not allowed to sing the first two verses here, you know)
And how about the GDR anthem? It's funny because the structure of both anthems is very similar, in fact you could sing one with the other one's tune... Also the lyrics are so (what's the translation of "pathetisch", without making it sound like "pathetic"?) declamatory (there we go). But I guess many anthem lyrics are.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:19:44 PM by Clayres »
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1160 on: November 08, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
The complete German anthem? (because you're not allowed to sing the first two verses here, you know)
And how about the DDR anthem? It's funny because the structure of both anthems is very similar, in fact you could sing one with the other one's tune... Also the lyrics are so (what's the translation of "pathetisch", without making it sound like "pathetic"?) declamatory (there we go). But I guess many anthem lyrics are.

Ehm, I meant the complete Italian anthem. I have no idea what the complete German anthem is like...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1161 on: November 08, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
Hey, everyone needs a hobby! Turns out I can't record our anthem for you though, it just feels wrong.
Buh... wrong?  How so?

I'd be surprised if we had a majority of people who were normal teenagers, here, in our secluded little corner of the internet.
Nope, just got the letter at my doorstep:
You're lame.

Love,
Obama
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1162 on: November 08, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »
Buh... wrong?  How so?

I'm a little patriotic? The national anthem feels sacred to me, it's just weird to sit alone in my room on a normal day and singing it. I know I'm acting weird, but that's just how it is. Sorry.
 Mostly quiet.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1163 on: November 08, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
Nope, just got the letter at my doorstep:

Nope, just got the letter at my doorstep: You're lame. Love, Obama

Wow, thanks Obama.

Reminds me that the French national anthem is fairly intense. Something about massing into battalions and staining the soil with the blood of enemies. Then again the Marseillas was written at the time of the Revolutionary wars so it's not too strange.

The Norwegian anthem is fairly simple thematically: "Our country is frickin beautiful eh? And we totally stuck it to the Swedes and the pope eh? Thank your parents, the kings of old, peasants with axes, manly women and god bless".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:09:46 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1164 on: November 08, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
I'm a little patriotic? The national anthem feels sacred to me, it's just weird to sit alone in my room on a normal day and singing it. I know I'm acting weird, but that's just how it is. Sorry.
Oh, okay.  Don't worry, that's not weird.  Patriotism is everywhere down here, so I understand that, haha.

Wow, thanks Obama.

Reminds me that the French national anthem is fairly intense. Something about massing into battalions and staining the soil with the blood of enemies. Then again the Marseillas was written at the time of the Revolutionary wars so it's not to strange.

The Norwegian anthem is fairly simple thematically: "Our country is frickin beautiful eh? And we totally stuck it to the Swedes and the pope eh? Thank your parents, the kings of old, peasants with axes, manly women and god bless".
Yep, GG Pres.  GG. 

I would've guessed it was written during the revolution.  Maybe a change of theme is in order?

Sounds like a nice place, haha. 
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1165 on: November 08, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
Wow, thanks Obama.

Reminds me that the French national anthem is fairly intense. Something about massing into battalions and staining the soil with the blood of enemies. Then again the Marseillas was written at the time of the Revolutionary wars so it's not too strange.

It sounds so funny when you say it like that.
 Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1166 on: November 08, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
And how about the DDR anthem? It's funny because the structure of both anthems is very similar, in fact you could sing one with the other one's tune... Also the lyrics are so (what's the translation of "pathetisch", without making it sound like "pathetic"?) declamatory (there we go). But I guess many anthem lyrics are.

Yes, they are somewhat similar, but I like the tune of the GDR anthem somewhat better. The verses are more impressive and the set of instruments of a higher complexitiy. What really freaks me out is the Bavarian anthem. Sounds like an ancient church choire.

"Our country is frickin beautiful eh? And we totally stuck it to the Swedes and the pope eh? Thank your parents, the kings of old, peasants with axes, manly women and god bless".

Hehe, sounds interesting.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1167 on: November 08, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »

I dunno, I think it's meant to be sung, but that's up to you of course.

It sounds so funny when you say it like that.

It does have some very stereotypic themes really.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1168 on: November 08, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »

I wouldn't sing the my country's anthem either, but its not becauseit is that sacred to me. I just feel at unease, but maybe that is caused by me having Greek roots and having moved through the country so often until I was in my teens that I never developed a feel of "home" connected to the country itself. History might be a reason to though I'm not intending opening this topic. I actually like the Irish anthem though it isn't any different in its tune compared to other european anthems.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1169 on: November 08, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
I wouldn't sing the my country's anthem either, but its not becauseit is that sacred to me. I just feel at unease, but maybe that is caused by me having Greek roots and having moved through the country so often until I was in my teens that I never developed a feel of "home" connected to the country itself. History might be a reason to though I'm not intending opening this topic. I actually like the Irish anthem though it isn't any different in its tune compared to other european anthems.
I'd sing my national anthem, but when I get to the "oh say can you see" by voice breaks on the "see" and I sound like a tire with its air getting let out.