Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387427 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12285 on: November 16, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
Oh! Oh! If we're talking about unsolved mysteries, I have one too! A few years ago there was a chance of applying for a manned Mars flight, with the negative side that you wouldn't be able to return; the crew was going to settle on the planet. I received an e-mail from the Mars program that thanked me for applying and that next I would have to pay an application fee and then they'd take it into consideration... but here's the thing, I hadn't applied for it myself. Someone else had tried to sign me up for a one-way trip to Mars.

I've been asking around but no one's admitting to this one, so I guess I either have friends with a really deadpan sense of humour or very creative enemies... :D?
I'm now imagining a remake of The Martian starring Laufey. Not so much "bring her home" as "how did she get there?"
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12286 on: November 16, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »
Oh! Oh! If we're talking about unsolved mysteries, I have one too! A few years ago there was a chance of applying for a manned Mars flight, with the negative side that you wouldn't be able to return; the crew was going to settle on the planet. I received an e-mail from the Mars program that thanked me for applying and that next I would have to pay an application fee and then they'd take it into consideration... but here's the thing, I hadn't applied for it myself. Someone else had tried to sign me up for a one-way trip to Mars.

I've been asking around but no one's admitting to this one, so I guess I either have friends with a really deadpan sense of humour or very creative enemies... :D?
Since it was asking for money, my bet is that it's an unusually creative scam.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12287 on: November 16, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm now imagining a remake of The Martian starring Laufey. Not so much "bring her home" as "how did she get there?"

Or even possibly "how do we get rid of her", but I imagine that in Mars there would be an easy and very straight-forward solution to this.

I sure hope not, creative fr/enemies are much cooler! :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12288 on: November 16, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
Congratulations you've won a free ticket to Mars!
Just pay the confirmation fee here and you'll have your FREE ticket to Mars today!!!

brb starting a spam email business now, I'm gonna be rich
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12289 on: November 16, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »

Ehehehe I've done something like this to a friend once. I signed her up for auditions with the LA philharmonic orchestra :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12290 on: November 16, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
Ehehehe I've done something like this to a friend once. I signed her up for auditions with the LA philharmonic orchestra :D
Did she at least play an instrument?
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12291 on: November 16, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
Did she at least play an instrument?

Yes she was a very talented violinist. I'd like to think she might have had a good chance of making it.

Re:facebook
You can friend me if you want, but I don't use it for updates on life things, only for messaging as Curry does or for scheduling school things.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12292 on: November 16, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »
I'm more of a small city girl, myself. Austin can be puh-reety interesting, though.
Recently a friend of mine was looking at a house on east side. It was a very nice little bungalow, and the owner was extremely friendly and accommodating. She hit it off with him immediately. After she left she looked up the address and the guy's name...
Turns out the house was a brothel. And the friendly guy she got along so well with? A pimp.
She didn't buy that house.

And yes, I'm still around! Facing midterms (I'm currently trying to ignore a three-page-paper due tomorrow and a five-page-paper due the day after and a three-page-paper due two days after that), but so far surviving!
I'm settled into my apartment, and my roommates are very nice people. Apparently we're one of the few apartments that haven't gone to Student Life with a dispute yet. We're all pretty accommodating, so there's been no drama so far. Except for when one of the upperclassmen came home with hickeys and we immediately labelled her a 'beacon of sin' and haven't permitted her or her boyfriend (a really sweet guy who was absolutely mortified and keeps on buying us her food) live it down. All in good fun, of course. (She's the actual sweetest, though, constantly driving us places and giving us the lowdown on the professors and classes, cracking our backs, sharing her food, etc. Which is why she's so much fun to tease.) Ah, we have wild times... sitting around the apartment... working on homework... watching movies... cooking food... sometimes when we're feeling really crazy we clean up! Party animals, I'm telling you.
As for the actual school, the classes are challenging, but not overwhelming, the professors are great, and I really feel like I'm in the right place. I've only cried twice so far.
Anyhow, that's my life at the moment. Heading back to my papers now, RTR out.

RTR, welcome back!  We haven't seen much of you lately (understandably).  Keep up the awesome work!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #12293 on: November 16, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »

Space scams obviously aren't massively rare, because apparently I own an acre of land on the moon.
I'm not sure how. o.o

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12294 on: November 16, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »
Space scams obviously aren't massively rare, because apparently I own an acre of land on the moon.
I'm not sure how. o.o

OOoooohhh! Can we go visit?

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12295 on: November 16, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »
My grandpa's name is (actually) on the moon. He had a small role to play in the construction of one of the capsules that they sent there, and after the capsule was finished, the names of everyone who worked on it were engraved on a small gold plate on the part that stayed on the moon.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12296 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
I dislike not being able to see further than the street goes before there's another building

Spoken like a true Eastron lowlander.

Manchester, for example, is doing very well for itself these days. And for all people bemoan the existence of London, it's still fun to visit.

Eh, 8/10 wouldn't mind getting lost there again.

Yeah, I know dolerite is a kind of basalt

They are similar mineralogically, but diabase is diabase unless it's extrusive in which case it's basalt.

Oh! Oh! If we're talking about unsolved mysteries, I have one too!

I don't have much to contribute with there, except for this one time when I was studying in England. I found a pair of abandoned jeans in a remote, empty hallway on the top floor of the library while exploring. Sounds lame I know, but the X-files theme sure was playing in my head on that otherwise boring day.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12297 on: November 16, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
haa not sure if it can compete with the frenemy scamming you for mars moneys... but my Most Mysterious Unsolved Mystery in life so far is the anonymous cupcake gift sender. Someone kept sending me cupcake-themed gifts (a tank top in my size, cupcake forms, and a pen), almost always a year apart, and often with a piece of paper with a < 3 drawn in glitter pen on it. It was at a time in life where everyone i knew either 1) disliked me, or 2) would never ever touch a glitter pen and had a huge dislike for the < 3 way of drawing hearts. it's been six years and I still have no idea who it might've been.

there's also some anon on tumblr who has sent me more than one message with just "aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA", but that's hardly weirder than someone fanmailing me the entire script of the bee movie, so I'm just rolling with it.

EDIT: the forum post count is getting really close to 77,777!!! it'll probably happen while i'm asleep ha ha ha sobs
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:53:13 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #12298 on: November 16, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
someone fanmailing me the entire script of the bee movie
que

OOoooohhh! Can we go visit?
I mean, I have a land deed somewhere and everything- I can't even remember who gave it to me. .-.
I might try to claim it one day just to see what happens.
I could be the first person arrested for squatting on the moon!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12299 on: November 16, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
que
tumblr has got rid of the "fanmail" feature now, but for a while it was possible to send messages with no length limit to people. for some reason, people kept sending eachother the script of the bee movie. it's a meme now. it happened to me.

i MIGHT also have sent it to laufey on forum PM as revenge for sending me a smiley but that's neither here nor there
you'll know where to find me.