Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387476 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12180 on: November 14, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »
Procrastination, I see you... ;)
their phone and office is literally closed till monday^^" and their website is rather unhelpful so......... not purposeful procrastination! for once!! i mean i HAVE procrastinated getting my driver's license for actual years, but

It isn't particularly hard. It's good to know how to get the thing rolling so you don't have to pay people to teach you the basics though.
yeah, I haven't been behind the wheel for many months now, but I don't think it'll be too challenging - physically at least. I know how to operate both manual and automatic gears so if I can only!! get the ocd part of my brain!! that is always screaming abotu how i'm going to die!! to shut up!!!! i'll be fine!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:39:46 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12181 on: November 14, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »
Ooh, driving. One of those things that I've promised myself I'll do when I consider myself a responsible adult - so, in other words, never. (To give you some idea, I only have a provisional license so I can buy age-restricted stuff) Me in control of a ton of metal and explosives is nothing that could ever end well.
I think I'll hold out for self-driving cars.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12182 on: November 14, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
Ooh, driving. One of those things that I've promised myself I'll do when I consider myself a responsible adult - so, in other words, never. (To give you some idea, I only have a provisional license so I can buy age-restricted stuff) Me in control of a ton of metal and explosives is nothing that could ever end well.
hahahah yeah I feel you
in my case it's becoming more and more glaringly obvious I need to get my license sooner or later. living at the outskirts with worse and worse bus times and becoming more and more dependant on others to get you somewhere........ yeah ://

I also signed up to participate in a decision-making experiment conducted by psychology students....... I might get money for it but I'm afraid of whether or not it's worth it

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12183 on: November 14, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
hahahah yeah I feel you
in my case it's becoming more and more glaringly obvious I need to get my license sooner or later. living at the outskirts with worse and worse bus times and becoming more and more dependant on others to get you somewhere........ yeah ://
I suppose I'm blessed in that regard as I've always lived in places with good public transport links. (Also the cost of owning and insuring a car here in the UK is not exactly pocket change either!) I can see that a car is much more necesarry the further from city centres you go.

And that decision thing should at least be interesting? Maybe?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12184 on: November 14, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
yeah, I haven't been behind the wheel for many months now, but I don't think it'll be too challenging - physically at least. I know how to operate both manual and automatic gears so if I can only!! get the ocd part of my brain!! that is always screaming abotu how i'm going to die!! to shut up!!!! i'll be fine!!!

It's usually the cocky ones who don't fear their cars who die.

a ton of metal and explosives

That's an interesting way of describing a smart car :P
Even most compact cars weigh in excess of 1500 kilogrammes. In other words, no worries!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12185 on: November 14, 2015, 08:54:26 AM »

Those creep me out for some reason... I want to have full control of the vehicle I'm in! This even applies to gears, I hate driving an automatic because it just feels like Important Decisions Are Being Made Without My Consent (Bob damn it did I TELL you to gear up, I totally didn't!). My favourite car is our old trusty 2CV, it never does anything without me very specifically requesting it and occasionally not even all that. Especially if it's cold outside.

...and now I started to miss that car because it belongs to my parents and is therefore still in Finland. I get weirdly attached to cars. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12186 on: November 14, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
their phone and office is literally closed till monday^^" and their website is rather unhelpful so......... not purposeful procrastination! for once!! i mean i HAVE procrastinated getting my driver's license for actual years, but
I'm joking, Haiz, I'm joking :) Take a cup of tea and a gingerbread.

Me in control of a ton of metal and explosives is nothing that could ever end well.
We... might have something in common... *Hates driving. Hadn't done it since years. Knows it will be "funny" the day she'll have to drive again*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12187 on: November 14, 2015, 08:55:58 AM »
It's usually the cocky ones who don't fear their cars who die.
ha, yeah, probably. I tried reading one of those theory books, but every page was all "teenagers tend to be reckless in traffic. they DIE. many people listen to music in their cars. they DIE. teenagers are careless when the road turns. they DIE"
....... paraphrased, but not helpful hahah

sometimes i just gotta kick my neuroces in the face if i wanna progress in life i guess

I suppose I'm blessed in that regard as I've always lived in places with good public transport links. (Also the cost of owning and insuring a car here in the UK is not exactly pocket change either!) I can see that a car is much more necesarry the further from city centres you go.

And that decision thing should at least be interesting? Maybe?
hahaha exactly. I had a grand time in Prague, what with the hotel being right next to a metro station and all.

the experiment sure sounds interesting, I just hope it isn't some kind of scam or sketchy business. But seeing as the psychology students at my uni always seem to seek out people for "experiments" I'm pretty convinced it's not. also it seems like one of the students in question is czech, if his mail address is anything to go by.

I'm joking, Haiz, I'm joking :) Take a cup of tea and a gingerbread.
tea already acquired ^______^

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12188 on: November 14, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Those creep me out for some reason... I want to have full control of the vehicle I'm in! This even applies to gears, I hate driving an automatic because it just feels like Important Decisions Are Being Made Without My Consent (Bob damn it did I TELL you to gear up, I totally didn't!).

My favourite car is our old trusty 2CV, it never does anything without me very specifically requesting it and occasionally not even all that. Especially if it's cold outside.

So much this. I'm the one driving the car, not the other way around! Therefore I call the shots and if I want fifth gear in a fifty zone then [redacted for explisitives]

You seriously drive a 2CV? Who are you, Professor Layton?

ha, yeah, probably. I tried reading one of those theory books, but every page was all "teenagers tend to be reckless in traffic. they DIE. many people listen to music in their cars. they DIE. teenagers are careless when the road turns. they DIE"
....... paraphrased, but not helpful hahah

I'm still alive, so there's that.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12189 on: November 14, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
So much this. I'm the one driving the car, not the other way around! Therefore I call the shots and if I want fifth gear in a fifty zone then [redacted for explisitives]

I'm still alive, so there's that.
*glances at your "riding 1st class to VALHALLA" description*
.......... yes, there's that ^_____________^

Mélusine

« Reply #12190 on: November 14, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
*Tries to imagine her with the same hat* Mmmh. Professor Laufey Layton...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12191 on: November 14, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
*Tries to imagine her with the same hat* Mmmh. Professor Laufey Layton...
PROFESSOR LAUFON
the accordiony soundtrack is pretty fitting

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12192 on: November 14, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
PROFESSOR LAUFON

The tenured Professora Laufon, star of such classic games as:

Professora Laufon and the Curious Watercolour
Professora Laufon and the Accordion Spectre
Professora Laufon and the Weird Fish
Professora Laufon and the Last Forest of Iceland

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12193 on: November 14, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »

Going by Real Life anecdotal wisdom teenagers are not that bad, although occasionally too careful/shy in traffic which on its own can be dangerous: the worst offenders in Iceland are usually middle-aged men and women, or some of them (too many for comfort). They drive like maniacs, have no idea what a signal is for and generally think that as long as a car is able to cross over a certain terrain it's totally fine to drive over it. They also grow a massive size parking-entitlement and think "just popping by for two hours" is an ok reason to leave the car in an emergency route/pedestrian walkway/blocking someone else's driveway/blocking someone else's car...

I can and would if I still had one at my use! It's not much going by speed or traffic safety but it has the best ventilation system known in the car world. I like to think of the different levels of it as:

1) Just driving, it's got holes everywhere so you do get some amount of fresh air no matter what.
2) Screw open a little panel on the right hand side. It literally opens a hole through the car (there's a mosquito net in and going by how it tends to look like it's a very important feature).
3) Pull a lever at the door, it unlocks the lower half of the window which you can then attach to the top of the window part.
4) Roll the top open halfway. Goodbye hairdo. WOOOSH.
5) Roll the top open completely. Goodbye hair in general. WOOOOOOOOSH.

PROFESSOR LAUFON

...you - wait - hm. HMMM.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #12194 on: November 14, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
PROFESSOR LAUFON
So, we're waiting for a drawing ? :D

Professora Laufon and the Last Forest of Iceland
Huhu ^^