Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409475 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11670 on: October 25, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
Well in any case, congratulations for finishing!
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #11671 on: October 25, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
So there was a water main break in town today, and my workplace has been shutdown while it's being fixed.[sarcasm] Today is being just awesome. [/sarcasm]
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #11672 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:09 AM »
So there was a water main break in town today, and my workplace has been shutdown while it's being fixed.[sarcasm] Today is being just awesome. [/sarcasm]
Aw man. :/ Does that mean there's water in your workplace? D:

On a random topic...
The list nobody asked for!
~What is in Owl's handbag today?~
(I absolutely loathe calling it a handbag...but alas...that's what it is ;-;)
There issss:
Wallet
Art journal
Pencil case
Phone charger
Plastic cutlery
Measuring tape
20m of rope
Industrial staple gun
Refill pack of industrial staples
Rusty keys
Sandwich bag of skulls
Bag of furniture tassels
Laptop, a deceptively heavy one
Misc pens
One million cough lollies
[Not in bag but carried:
12 x 2.5m calico sheet, rolled]

~What should have been in the bag?~
An umbrella.

I got rather soggy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:40:16 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #11673 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:46 AM »

Actually the opposite, we had no running water.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11674 on: October 26, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
Actually the opposite, we had no running water.
Oh! Phew! Unless....your workplace depends on water... ;3
Like a restaurant or pet shop :0

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #11675 on: October 26, 2015, 02:36:35 AM »
Oh! Phew! Unless....your workplace depends on water... ;3
Like a restaurant or pet shop :0

Fast food place, so we definitely use a lot of water. I didn't realize how much water we use until we had none.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11676 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »

On a random topic...
Spoiler: show
There issss:
Wallet
Art journal
Pencil case
Phone charger
Plastic cutlery
Measuring tape
20m of rope
Industrial staple gun
Rusty keys
Sandwich bag of skulls
Bag of furniture tassels
Misc pens
[Not in bag but carried:

An umbrella.

I got rather soggy.

I'm sorry you got soggy.

At first, I thought you meant 20m of string or twine, but then I realized it must  be rope.  You can't tie your kangaroo down with twine, after all. 8)

Seriously, though, you might keep your eyes open for a large laptop case.  They often double as briefcases, have multiple compartments, and--blessedly--a shoulder strap.  Assuming you want to get rid of your current load bearing equipment (milspeak for everything from bandage pouches to pistol belts to rucksacks). ;D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11677 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:50 AM »
I'm sorry you got soggy.

At first, I thought you meant 20m of string or twine, but then I realized it must  be rope.  You can't tie your kangaroo down with twine, after all. 8)
Haha, no of course it's not twine XD It's... *looks at receipt* 3mm Spectra rope/chord stuff? So it should be stronger than twine.

Seriously, though, you might keep your eyes open for a large laptop case.  They often double as briefcases, have multiple compartments, and--blessedly--a shoulder strap.  Assuming you want to get rid of your current load bearing equipment
Yeah........I've been intending to buy myself /acquire a nice backpack or something, because I'm kinda over shoulder bags -__- I cant do the cross-shoulder thing (like... |/|) because it's just uncomfortable and too hard to keep putting on and off especially when you're lugging around a largish bag.
I made the mistake of thinking I may need a built-in disk drive for my laptop so it's kinda heavy...and cant play DVDs!!!!!! D8< I thought I might need it to use program/installment CD things but then I realised...no one uses those anymore, I can just downloAD EVERYTHING FROM ONLINE NOW AAAAA
(milspeak for everything from bandage pouches to pistol belts to rucksacks). ;D
There....used to be...a ridiculous amount of bandaids (different types) and sanitisers (various kinds) and even fancy lozenges. So bandage pouch isn't too far off <_< And...I can pack clothes/toothbrush etc in there for when I stay over at my friend's house...in the extra pockets...oddly there is never any room for my coat because the coat is kinda big and just can't fold up compactly at all. ;_;

It's a sad old bag, barely lasted half the time the previous one did. The shoulder strap has already broken off, but I replaced it with a sports bag strap from my old sports bag (RIP) which is holding up ok....for now. Oddly, the strap that's taken the most visual damage is one of the side handles, and I never even use those. Somehow, the leathery stuff around the metal ring it connects to is tearing apart and away....somehow??
I don't even like the bag really, it was a present. <_< The only things that I console myself with about it are:
- cheap for gift-giver, free for me
- shiny bits like Lalli boots
- many pockets
- I decorated it with a t-rex and kitty-with-bell keyring U__Ub world of difference.
But it's falling apart. :/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:02:23 AM by OrigamiOwl »

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #11678 on: October 26, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »
I have a military laptop / briefcase in the digital camouflage pattern (no, really) from working where I had to visit the Pentagon at times.  To remind us desk jockeys that we were supporting troops on hostile ground, we wore field cammies every day.

The vinyl is peeling off the underlying cloth mesh, and some of the Velcro has separated, but it's hard to pitch something that's given good service.  ::)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11679 on: October 26, 2015, 07:43:57 AM »
I have a military laptop / briefcase in the digital camouflage pattern (no, really) from working where I had to visit the Pentagon at times.  To remind us desk jockeys that we were supporting troops on hostile ground, we wore field cammies every day.

The vinyl is peeling off the underlying cloth mesh, and some of the Velcro has separated, but it's hard to pitch something that's given good service.  ::)
Awww, that's thoughtful.
I guess that's a sensible-job briefcase then, it has worked hard. My older bag has been retired to "beach trip bag" because I couldn't bear to throw it out just because it got squishy and worn, so now it gets to go to the beach! On those rare occasions. Or hotel stays and stuff.

Hmmmm gotta start setting up my exhibition space tomorrow. o__o Somehow I've gotta remember how to do proper knots, just in case the teachers helping me don't know how to tie stuff. the real challenge will be complying with OH&S and heritage rules. Like, apparently us students aren't technically allowed to move the desks to the other side of the room; we're supposed to hire removalists? Which is fair I guess, but....they're small..and we only need to move them like 7m. And then there are ladder rules, because the ceilings are so high, so apparently I'm too short to be working that high on a ladder. Which is fair..I do get vertigo when I look up from a height for some reason, and I am too short to be that high up reaching over my head. I think. So a teacher has to tie the knots for me. -__-

And then, I was planning to use staples to fix some draping cloth in place, but the wooden beams are heritage and so heritage rules apply which means no staples. ((Even though they're covered in nails and staples from the dawn of time through to the 90s. Ugh) Hence why I bought the rope.

And THEN, all the plinths that the art school is using to exhibit, we're not allowed to paint them. Which is fair, except the current condition of the plinths is shameful: scuffs, scratches, gashes, and general bad paintwork underneath in awful colours. Mine is currently "grey", along with splashes of other colours from things it's been thrown against during it's sad lifetime. Our teacher says we should be rebels and give them a new coat of paint anyway, or we can dance around the rules and cover them with something instead. One guy is gonna cover his in astroturf.

I was thinking of covering mine in some faux velvet (so people could pat it, and so lure them to my exhibit muahahaha) but I haven't had access to the plinth to even measure it! PLUS, how will I stick the fabric ON? Glue? Sew a rectangular prism sleeve? Staples? I don't know anymoooooooore...!

What I hope I can do tomorrow is cut and speed-sew some hem things onto the top of my drapes...

Will I be legally allowed to do anything other than sew? Find out tomorrow~ *gameshow host voice*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:52:13 AM by OrigamiOwl »

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11680 on: October 26, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »

On a random topic...
There issss:
Wallet
Art journal
Pencil case
Phone charger
Plastic cutlery
Measuring tape
20m of rope
Industrial staple gun
Rusty keys
Sandwich bag of skulls
Bag of furniture tassels
Misc pens
[Not in bag but carried:

An umbrella.

I got rather soggy.

The contents of you bag make you sound like an art student or something. :D

Assuming you want to get rid of your current load bearing equipment (milspeak for everything from bandage pouches to pistol belts to rucksacks). ;D

I honestly would just use army surplus for my backpacks and purses when I was in school. I couldn't kill the things like I could with conventional backpacks. Yay for army surplus!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11681 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
I just saw someone get arrested in front of me at the bus station  :o
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11682 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
I just saw someone get arrested in front of me at the bus station  :o
??? D: That's......not good or good depending on the situation...

Spoiler: pointless pointless owl fails to social convention • show
Once all the ladies at my mum's work were all talking about some arrest drama that happened outside their office.
~In the mall, there were some supposedly shady people (a granny, a young man, some others) and turns out the guy was wanted (for something I can't remember, the police had been investigating him for a while) and a policeman walked up to him and the granny yelled out "RUN KENNY RUN YOU [non-granny expletives] KENNYYYYYY!!" (except here, the "Kenny" was pronounced "Kinnoy") and the guy just took off like a headless chicken with the police guy on his tail, they went around the bus stop, around the block, through an outdoor cafe, but they caught him (they had run in a circle) and they walked the guy into the police van and the granny was still yelling stuff like "I TOLD YOU ["yew"] BUT DID YOU LISTEN YOU [expletive]!! YOU'RE BLOODY HOPELESS KENNYYYY." and she just walked off into the shops.~
?
I do not know how much of that was true or morning tea gossip.
Just...just in case you wanted a slightly comical random story? :/ *tries to cheer up, fails*
*also remembers that my area is kinda tame compared to other places* *is not sure what to do now*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:59:30 AM by OrigamiOwl »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11683 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
??? D: That's......not good or good depending on the situation...

Once all the ladies at my mum's work were all taking about some arrest drama that happened outside their office.
~In the mall, there were some supposedly shady people (a granny, a young man, some others) and turns out the guy was wanted (for something I can't remember, the police had been investigating him for a while) and a policeman walked up to him and the granny yelled out "RUN KENNY RUN YOU [non-granny expletives] KENNYYYYYY!!" (except here, the "Kenny" was pronounced "Kinnoy") and the guy just took off like a headless chicken with the police guy on his tail, they went around the bus stop, around the block, through an outdoor cafe, but they caught him (they had run in a circle) and they walked the guy into the police van and the granny was still yelling stuff like "I TOLD YOU ["yew"] BUT DID YOU LISTEN YOU [expletive]!! YOU'RE BLOODY HOPELESS KENNYYYY." and she just walked off into the shops.~
?
I do not know how much of that was true or morning tea gossip.
Just...just in case you wanted a slightly comical random story? :/

Oh wow. That sounds like something that would happen in a movie :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11684 on: October 26, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
wow it's been a while since i've made a noise here, haha... there haven't been many exciting events in the life of haiz lately anyway, and i've been too out of energy to contribute in any other ways, so yeah.
i'm currently at the uni library, forcing myself to finally finish an assignment thingie, and through the glass roof observed the sky darkening to pitch above me. it's not even six o clock i hate this

im not even supposed to write here now but i kinda opened my freetime browser by accident. woops. then again i only need to write a couple more lines and i'll be freeeeeeee
you'll know where to find me.