Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409902 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11610 on: October 19, 2015, 02:44:37 AM »
Same. I really couldn't understand how Laufey changed the showerhead five times though. I'm imagining a Hydra showerhead and that's pretty weird.

Hahahah sorry to write something in a confusing manner again! :D I meant that I changed the settings on the one showerhead that we have, it has a part that can be turned around for different effects.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #11611 on: October 19, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
This morning it was raining pretty hard so this sprang into my mind (I literally wrote it in my English notebook)

Colourful species move along the streets, heavy rain battering their frail structure.
Most of them will be dead before summer comes again, ripped apart by the cruel wind...
They are
The umbrellas of Trieste's students

This November, in all cinemas
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #11612 on: October 19, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
This morning it was raining pretty hard so this sprang into my mind (I literally wrote it in my English notebook)

Colourful species move along the streets, heavy rain battering their frail structure.
Most of them will be dead before summer comes again, ripped apart by the cruel wind...
They are
The umbrellas of Trieste's students

This November, in all cinemas
I'd watch it.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11613 on: October 19, 2015, 08:11:11 AM »
If usernames were literal... I'd be a chunk of rock hurtling from outer space?

Horse pee setting... I... *brain dies*

We got a super fancy shower that has the detachable nozzle thing (5 settings... and I only use one of them), but it has a ring around where the nozzle rests normally, so you can still have water falling on you while you use the nozzle thing elsewhere.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11614 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
This just in, not sure if you need to know but: I FINISHED THE HOMER ESSAY AND HANDED IT IN. Technically four days late (which is gonna be one HECK of a late penalty) but egh, better than nothing. Now i can stop stressing and crying over it and can spend my time stressing crying over my two majors due this week! C,8 Good times, good times. But unsarcastically it's an actual improvement.
Night all!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11615 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
This just in, not sure if you need to know but: I FINISHED THE HOMER ESSAY AND HANDED IT IN. Technically four days late (which is gonna be one HECK of a late penalty) but egh, better than nothing. Now i can stop stressing and crying over it and can spend my time stressing crying over my two majors due this week! C,8 Good times, good times. But unsarcastically it's an actual improvement.
Night all!

Aaaah, that's a lot better than nothing!! Congratulations!!!
YEET

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #11616 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Good to hear you can tick Homer off your list, Owl. :)
I'm also stressed out about all the stuff I have to do at the moment. My first course as a university teacher (lecturer, is that the word?) has started last week and it takes so much time to prepare (and I need to do it EVERY WEEK until the end of January... how do teachers cope with this??). And on top of that, we're preparing a huge survey during the next climate conference, and there's just not enough time to properly design the questionary and test it before the conference starts and arghhh...
Sometimes I wish I could just go back to being a student.  :-\
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11617 on: October 19, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
Good to hear you can tick Homer off your list, Owl. :)
I'm also stressed out about all the stuff I have to do at the moment. My first course as a university teacher (lecturer, is that the word?) has started last week and it takes so much time to prepare (and I need to do it EVERY WEEK until the end of January... how do teachers cope with this??). And on top of that, we're preparing a huge survey during the next climate conference, and there's just not enough time to properly design the questionary and test it before the conference starts and arghhh...
Sometimes I wish I could just go back to being a student.  :-\

*Pat-pat*
I feel you! Well, I'm not a lecturer (we use this word, I hope native speakers too), I only have one tiny course, but I felt the very same the first time I've taught it. But it will get better, next time you have to teach this course you only need to update it and make little changes, but it will be much easier.

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #11618 on: October 19, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
I went into the shower this morning and someone before me had turned the horse pee setting on, and I didn't know that the shower even had different settings. Fortunately I figured out how to turn it back pretty quickly.

This just in, not sure if you need to know but: I FINISHED THE HOMER ESSAY AND HANDED IT IN.

That's great! One less thing to worry about is always a good thing, and now you'll be able to focus better on the other stuff you need to do.

*also patpats Fen Shen*
Sorry to hear that you're stressed out. But I'm going to agree with Helia in that it'll be a lot easier next time around because you won't have to completely redo your plans from scratch. I also think that you'll get better at planning efficiently as the school year goes on, just because of practice. So hang in there, and know that all the hard work you do now will make your life easier in the future!

lecturer (we use this word, I hope native speakers too)

I would probably use "professor", but lecturer makes sense to me. Just like how "going to college" and "going to university" both make sense, but I would be inclined to use the former. Regional preferences, I suppose?
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11619 on: October 19, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
Just like how "going to college" and "going to university" both make sense, but I would be inclined to use the former.

The only thing I would say about "college" and "university" is while in the US they are the same thing, in Canada and Europe they are actually very different things. A college is a small very skill specific place where you would go to learn training for a specific trade, or in some places it can be a school that is between high school and university. My cousin in Quebec will to go to college, which is three years from what would be grades 11-13, and then from there he will start at university. A university on the other hand is what Americans call colleges. College degrees are quite different from university degrees, so I might caution (in an international setting) against using college the word unless you specify. Like how in the US there is football and soccer and in Europe there is also football but it is completely different, Europe and Canada also have college but it is not the same.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:16:43 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #11620 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
The only thing I would say about "college" and "university" is while in the US they are the same thing, in Canada and Europe they are actually very different things. A college is a small very skill specific place where you would go to learn training for a specific trade, or in some places it can be a school that is between high school and university. My cousin in Quebec will to go to college, which is three years from what would be grades 11-13, and then from there he will start at university. A university on the other hand is what Americans call colleges. College degrees are quite different from university degrees, so I might caution (in an international setting) against using college the word unless you specify. Like how in the US there is football and soccer and in Europe there is also football but it is completely different, Europe and Canada also have college but it is not the same.

Oh, that's interesting: I didn't know that! *makes mental note to avoid confusion in the future*

In the US, college and university have very slightly different meanings. A university is (I think, anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong) analogous to a university outside of the US, but with the requirement that it has multiple schools inside of it. Usually this means that it has an undergraduate program where you'd get a bachelor's degree, and a graduate program where you get a master's or Ph.D., but there are other variations (i.e. law school, medical school, etc.). A college is just a university without a graduate program attached to it. You can go there to get a bachelor's degree, but not a Ph.D. My school, for example, is a college because it has no graduate program, but if it were anywhere else in the world, it would likely be called a university.
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #11621 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »
Oh, that's interesting: I didn't know that! *makes mental note to avoid confusion in the future*

In the US, college and university have very slightly different meanings. A university is (I think, anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong) analogous to a university outside of the US, but with the requirement that it has multiple schools inside of it. Usually this means that it has an undergraduate program where you'd get a bachelor's degree, and a graduate program where you get a master's or Ph.D., but there are other variations (i.e. law school, medical school, etc.). A college is just a university without a graduate program attached to it. You can go there to get a bachelor's degree, but not a Ph.D. My school, for example, is a college because it has no graduate program, but if it were anywhere else in the world, it would likely be called a university.

Actually, my college has a grad program and isn't classified as a university...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #11622 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
Actually, my college has a grad program and isn't classified as a university...

There are a couple like that: it's not a hard and fast rule. As an example, Dartmouth College has a graduate program, but it is very adamant about keeping "college" in its name. There's also a university not too far from my house that doesn't really have any graduate students to speak of, but it's very proud about calling itself a university. It's more of a general rule of thumb rather than something that's policed: schools can call themselves whatever they want, really.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #11623 on: October 19, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »

Another use of the word "college" is that a university will will have the "college of fine arts," "college of medicine," etc, all within that university.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11624 on: October 19, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I think the first 7 dwarves were supposed to be male, so I'm saying the latter.

I know exactly what you're talking about, yup.

Most Norwegian colleges have MA degrees, even Ph.ds in many cases. What's confusing to a European is when Americans say they're "going to college" when referring to a University. Even more confusing was the English system. When I studied there at a University I was enrolled in a "college", which was basically an accomodation/administration/social group/I don't even know thing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:29:44 PM by Fimbulvarg »