Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409440 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11550 on: October 17, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »
* Feartheviolas hoards all the snow

MINE

Can I come visit and borrow some? ;w;)b
Florida hasn't had snow since the 70s.
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11551 on: October 17, 2015, 11:16:05 PM »
* Piney takes a tiny handful

* Feartheviolas eyes Piney

Can I come visit and borrow some? ;w;)b
Florida hasn't had snow since the 70s.

Alllllllright I suppose I could share a tiny bit.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #11552 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:05 AM »
And I wish I had pictures of the intricate cave networks we dug in a 6 metre tall ridge of snow the plow car made when clearing a nearby parking lot. Even general Kuribayashi would have nodded approvingly at the complexity of it all.
OH MAN THAT WAS MY DREAM WHEN I WAS LITTLE
except I live in Seattle so the most snow I've ever seen was like 15 cm and that was a huge deal
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #11553 on: October 18, 2015, 02:11:11 AM »
Just wanted to share this Facebook convo I've been having with Trinka over the last few days, it just represents a perfect little snapshot of our relationship as sisters...

Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #11554 on: October 18, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »
Can I have some of that snow everyone's talking about?
I think Swansea last had about 2cm in 2006.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11555 on: October 18, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »
* Feartheviolas hoards all the snow

MINE
That's not fair, Vi, you're already having snow !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11556 on: October 18, 2015, 04:38:15 AM »
And I wish I had pictures of the intricate cave networks we dug in a 6 metre tall ridge of snow the plow car made when clearing a nearby parking lot. Even general Kuribayashi would have nodded approvingly at the complexity of it all.
oh dang that is some next level snow labyrinthing. i'm pretty good at making snow labyrinths, but i've never had dig one O:

the snow scooter incident was when we visited our old house in finnmark for easter, once, and we asked where the scooter was. my aunt just pointed to an almost invisible bump in the snowy landscape.

I hope the snow takes a long time before getting here, i saw actual yellow dandelions just two days ago. snow can be fun but in... moderate amounts, imo. trondheim, being at the coast, has a tendency to go back and forth between plus and minus degrees, meaning we get a fun circle of snow falling, snow melting, snow freezing, causing 95% of all surfaces to be constantly covered in ice at all times :c
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11557 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:40 AM »
snow can be fun but in... moderate amounts, imo. trondheim, being at the coast, has a tendency to go back and forth between plus and minus degrees, meaning we get a fun circle of snow falling, snow melting, snow freezing, causing 95% of all surfaces to be constantly covered in ice at all times :c

Yes, this part here. South Iceland is normally ok-ish but every now and then we just get a massive amount of snow without a warning, and just as you've cleared the front yard a snow plough comes along and leaves a huge wall at the end of the driveway. Shouldn't complain though because north Iceland has it many times worse.

For awesome photos here's how the north clears roads after a snowstorm.
That would take a bit of digging...
Ólafsfjörður, 1995.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #11558 on: October 18, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Yes, this part here. South Iceland is normally ok-ish but every now and then we just get a massive amount of snow without a warning, and just as you've cleared the front yard a snow plough comes along and leaves a huge wall at the end of the driveway. Shouldn't complain though because north Iceland has it many times worse.

We tend to alternate between "not nearly enough snow" and "where did all this snow come from," though the latter's still not too bad compared to other places.

We also don't get nearly enough snow to make snow walls, but last year we had to shovel out three houses (for varying reasons) and the snow plough driver tried to be helpful by going extra close to one of the driveways...but just pushed more snow up for us to shovel instead.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11559 on: October 18, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
We get the ice problem a lot where I live. It usually snows a moderate amount (and has snowed more in recent years than usual), so there's pretty often at least a foot or so of snow on the ground. But in the middle of the day, it's just warm enough to melt a little bit of it, and then it refreezes afterwards. So over time, you get a layer of ice over the snow, and over any surface you've cleared. The year before last, the ice was one and a half inches thick (just shy of four centimeters). There was a foot and a half of snow underneath, and I could jump up and down on top of it without breaking through. One day, I was trying to get into my house through the back door, and I just started sliding away down the hill, and I couldn't stop myself because I simply couldn't break through the ice.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11560 on: October 18, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
ice at all times :c
ice problem

There's ice problems and there's freezing rain problems that make our planet look unfit for human life. But yeah, there was one winter in Bergen when people had to wait for hours upon hours at the ER to get their broken appendages seen to because people were slipping all over the place.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11561 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »
There's ice problems and there's freezing rain problems that make our planet look unfit for human life. But yeah, there was one winter in Bergen when people had to wait for hours upon hours at the ER to get their broken appendages seen to because people were slipping all over the place.

YES THAT
Not nearly as bad as in some of those pictures.
BUT THAT
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11562 on: October 18, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
ohhh, experiencing ice rain is probably wayy less magical than it looks...

the ice rethawing and refreezing is incredibly annoying because yeah, usually one can solve ice problems by sprinkling everything but not in this case D: at least the roads are salted.
i remember when my class in elementary school was supposed to go skating, but it was so windy and icy we just... skated on the football field right there. we didn't even have to skate, just stand still, and the wind would move us forwards
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11563 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
at least the roads are salted.

You won't hear any car owners saying that. Rust is bad business, it's the opposite of shiny and chrome.

the ice rethawing and refreezing is incredibly annoying because yeah, usually one can solve ice problems by sprinkling everything but not in this case D: at least the roads are salted.
i remember when my class in elementary school was supposed to go skating, but it was so windy and icy we just... skated on the football field right there. we didn't even have to skate, just stand still, and the wind would move us forwards

Last time I went skating (or curling to be precise) I went home with my face bandaged to hide the Swedish flag motif on the right half of it. I am not a very good skater/curler.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11564 on: October 18, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »
But it's just so... o_e Have you ever tasted that?
No, Schabziger is a punishment imo.
I was traveling last week and came by Switzerland, so I got a Zigerstöckli for myself for ... a bit of experimentation. ;) I have to agree that putting the stuff straight onto a slice of bread is, umh, best left to the hardcore fandom. ::)

I'm still standing by my instead-of-parmesan suggestion, though. (If I'm lucky, I'll be able to try with an actual pasta dish, rather than the ready-to-eat Taboulé oriental I had at hand and declared to be my lab animal pasta stand-in.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15