Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410119 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11280 on: October 08, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
This is 50% of the reason I carry big no-nonsense headphones everywhere I go, it's the clearest "DON'T TALK TO ME" signal and even if sometimes it still doesn't work you can always pretend you didn't hear them :P

(The other 50% being, of course, the possibility to genuinely drown out annoying Outside World noises.)

I often used headphones like that in the workplace for similar reasons. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11281 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
Trust me, I am alive! Been caught up with school stuff, conversations with my mother, and the possibility of transferring to cyberschool. Alas, I am back for a few days, I hope?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11282 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
Trust me, I am alive! Been caught up with school stuff, conversations with my mother, and the possibility of transferring to cyberschool. Alas, I am back for a few days, I hope?

Aaah, I hope the conversations went well! Welcome back!
YEET

Fenris

« Reply #11283 on: October 08, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »
I have a tendency to at least talk a bit with people handing out pamphlets, asking for signatures or selling something, mostly because I've often been on their end. There's few things as demoralizing as going out, not asking much more of people than maybe a signature or accepting a pamphlet/argument for something one things is right, and 80% try to ignore it. People who stop and argue tend to be a welcome relief even, than apathy.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11284 on: October 08, 2015, 10:34:53 PM »

Glad to hear you haven't disappeared into the void. Welcome back!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11285 on: October 08, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »
Glad to hear you haven't disappeared into the void. Welcome back!
Aaah, I hope the conversations went well! Welcome back!

Thanks! Also, they went okay, ish, I guess?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11286 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »
Thanks! Also, they went okay, ish, I guess?

Good to hear that it was somewhat positive at least! ´  w`)b

Also, hahahaah, I have too much homework to do and I can't figure this out so I am going to just give up. NICE. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11287 on: October 09, 2015, 04:21:42 AM »
I have a tendency to at least talk a bit with people handing out pamphlets, asking for signatures or selling something, mostly because I've often been on their end. There's few things as demoralizing as going out, not asking much more of people than maybe a signature or accepting a pamphlet/argument for something one things is right, and 80% try to ignore it. People who stop and argue tend to be a welcome relief even, than apathy.

Handing out pamphlets or selling magazines is one thing. Whenever I see people from Amnesty Int. I usually stop by if they approach because they're usually gatherint signatures. The so-called activists (fundraiser is what they call themselves) are actually paid wages for what they do. Some of them even work for fundraising companies. I guess they care more than just a little about their cause, but they're not there just out of the kindness of their heart.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:27:25 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11288 on: October 09, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »
Yes, I know that, so I smile also to say "excuse me" and often wish them to have a good day, because their job is not funny, but honestly I tend to avoid them, I'm not comfortable with having to say no again, and again, and again.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #11289 on: October 09, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »
The most awkward thing is when you get stopped by one of these fundraisers and it turns out to be your ex-classmate who's doing it as a summer job because she's broke. :P One of the really annoying thing is that they target people like students (who got that wiiide soft heart) and never the people who look like they'd have the money for that like people in suits... which is one of the tricks my ex-classmate told me about as I chatted with her back then (had to wait for my train).

I go by the good old "Headphones in, shake your head, don't look at them and just weave in and out of the crowd and if nothing else helps, talk in a foreign language." Not really nice because they're just trying to do their job but uh, I don't like being talked into donations. (  ¬_¬)'''
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11290 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »
The most awkward thing is when you get stopped by one of these fundraisers and it turns out to be your ex-classmate who's doing it as a summer job because she's broke. :P One of the really annoying thing is that they target people like students (who got that wiiide soft heart) and never the people who look like they'd have the money for that like people in suits... which is one of the tricks my ex-classmate told me about as I chatted with her back then (had to wait for my train).

I go by the good old "Headphones in, shake your head, don't look at them and just weave in and out of the crowd and if nothing else helps, talk in a foreign language." Not really nice because they're just trying to do their job but uh, I don't like being talked into donations. (  ¬_¬)'''

They quite clearly target younger people (Winston Churchill was right), so in my experience there's usually tons of them on the university campus. Interestingly they're rarely to be found at the College of Economics or the Faculty of Law (where the spendthrifts are). Instead they cluster around the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Humanities.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11291 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
Interestingly they're rarely to be found at the College of Economics or the Faculty of Law (where the spendthrifts are). Instead they cluster around the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Humanities.
So true...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11292 on: October 09, 2015, 09:08:03 AM »
But it's just so... o_e Have you ever tasted that?
Why, yes, right the first time my father asked me to pass by Switzerland and bring a couple when driving to him to visit. (Took him only into his 70s to remember having liked the stuff back when he lived in Switzerland ...) Obviously not to be used like one'ld eat Gouda, sure; I'ld consider it a replacement for Parmesan on my pasta, if only I wouldn't prefer pesti with strong taste (all'arrabiata, alla puttanesca, ...).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11293 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
Yeah, I did stop the transaction through the bank, but I kept getting bills from them (of course, they couldn't actually demand the payment, but it was annoying).
Hmph. My stepfather was a paying member of his darling political party for two years after he passed on, cancellation announcements and copies of the death certificate sent to both them and the bank be damned. Mom ultimately cancelled his bank account altogether specifically to get rid of them. >:(

This is 50% of the reason I carry big no-nonsense headphones everywhere I go, it's the clearest "DON'T TALK TO ME" signal and even if sometimes it still doesn't work you can always pretend you didn't hear them :P
I wonder whether there exist some extra-sneaky headphone models that specifically project the BOOMBADABOOM outward to help turn the all-too-interested folks away, rather than directing the music inwards into the wearer's ears like usual ones do ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #11294 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
Why, yes, right the first time my father asked me to pass by Switzerland and bring a couple when driving to him to visit. (Took him only into his 70s to remember having liked the stuff back when he lived in Switzerland ...) Obviously not to be used like one'ld eat Gouda, sure; I'ld consider it a replacement for Parmesan on my pasta, if only I wouldn't prefer pesti with strong taste (all'arrabiata, alla puttanesca, ...).
Oh okay then, guess we just have different tastes then. :') It's one of the few cheeses I can't stand and I only know very few people who actually like it as well. Though you're the first person I've heard of who would put it on pasta... here it tends to be eaten as such, maybe with a piece of bread or fruit, as part of a cheese platter.
(Well as long as he remembered it ;))

I wonder whether there exist some extra-sneaky headphone models that specifically project the BOOMBADABOOM outward to help turn the all-too-interested folks away, rather than directing the music inwards into the wearer's ears like usual ones do ...
Yes, there is such a thing or rather there is a start-up company called "axent wear" that has created headphones that also double as speakers (cat-ear shaped) and you can pre-order them atm. I kind of want them... but I doubt I'd use the speakers.
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: