Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410266 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11085 on: October 03, 2015, 05:22:53 AM »
The amount of living things that can kill you in Northern Europe is really low. Unless you live on Svalbard: 2000 people and 3500 polar bears.
there's that, and there's staying out of the way if a moose should happen to move in your direction : D

you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11086 on: October 03, 2015, 05:56:06 AM »
there's that, and there's staying out of the way if a moose should happen to move in your direction : D

There's at least 100 000 moose in this country on average, but they've never killed anyone to my knowledge (not counting traffic accidents). There's just 300 musk oxen though, and they do kill people.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:57:50 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11087 on: October 03, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »
There's at least 100 000 moose in this country on average, but they've never killed anyone to my knowledge (not counting traffic accidents). There's just 300 musk oxen though, and they do kill people.

For most of the time moose are shy and can smell you long before you see them, so yes, they're relatively harmless but if you manage to surprise a moose they can come at you - it's that large herbivore thing, I think. All in all animals are not your main worry in a Finnish forest though, a moose actually killing a human is really rare unless the traffic accidents count (if you count them in the moose is the most dangerous animal of Finland :D), but it's not entirely unheard-of. I think the last confirmed case of that actually happening was in Sweden in 2008.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11088 on: October 03, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
For most of the time moose are shy and can smell you long before you see them, so yes, they're relatively harmless but if you manage to surprise a moose they can come at you - it's that large herbivore thing, I think. All in all animals are not your main worry in a Finnish forest though, a moose actually killing a human is really rare unless the traffic accidents count (if you count them in the moose is the most dangerous animal of Finland :D), but it's not entirely unheard-of. I think the last confirmed case of that actually happening was in Sweden in 2008.

Moose attacks happen even here, and since we're talking half a tonne of meat it's usually dramatic. Females with youngs will give you a solid paddling if you stumble upon them. Think about it though, there's like ... half a million of them in Norway/Sweden/Finland. How many people have they killed? A couple maybe, none in Norway. By comparison: How many people have been killed by wasps.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #11089 on: October 03, 2015, 07:08:14 AM »
This art project looks amazing and the previous one even amazing-er... I really want to walk in it!
Looks like a ninja playground.
Oh...Oh...the art installation is all the black string up the top <_< the wood is just part of the school >_> (under the glass is the ground floor, where furniture-making/design and e-media is :3) I didn't want to go out into the atrium thing in case a classmate saw me randomly taking a photo..and I didnt want to go upstairs because... that's not...my area and feels weird going up there..there's some weird rivalry between design and "fine" arts o__o
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11090 on: October 03, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Moose attacks happen even here, and since we're talking half a tonne of meat it's usually dramatic. Females with youngs will give you a solid paddling if you stumble upon them. Think about it though, there's like ... half a million of them in Norway/Sweden/Finland. How many people have they killed? A couple maybe, none in Norway. By comparison: How many people have been killed by wasps.

Hahah FUN FACTS AGAIN, if we count deaths by the non-accidental (as in the animal attacks you deliberately and doesn't just run in front of your car) wasps are the second most lethal creature in Finland in top human kills per year. The first place belongs to humans of course.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11091 on: October 03, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
We don't have much of a problem here with any type of animal. I live in a tiny town, though it's very close to the woods. We have skunks and bears and deer running through town sometimes, but even the bears never bother anyone. >_>;
The skunks just roam around and make everything stink, they don't really do anything else. I live squished in between two other houses, and one time a bear was walking through their yard, that was fun.

If there's any type of deliberate killing, it's usually people, and there's never actually been one in this town, at least since I've lived here.

To be honest, living in the US itself scares me. It's something else..

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11092 on: October 03, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
Bears are pretty common here, but yeah, they don't usually hurt anyone. As long as you don't startle them in the middle of the woods, they'll probably mind their own business (not recommending going near them though >_>). As for snakes, copperheads will definitely bite, but they're not incredibly venomous, so most people are fine after a trip to the doctor. We do have a species of rattlesnake which is more venomous, but it's rare, so only hikers in the mountains ever come across it.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11093 on: October 03, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
Bears are pretty common here, but yeah, they don't usually hurt anyone. As long as you don't startle them in the middle of the woods, they'll probably mind their own business (not recommending going near them though >_>). As for snakes, copperheads will definitely bite, but they're not incredibly venomous, so most people are fine after a trip to the doctor. We do have a species of rattlesnake which is more venomous, but it's rare, so only hikers in the mountains ever come across it.

We have some snakes here, some venomous, some not. I've never seen a venomous snake, like, here, though. I just know they're in the state. Which is good. We don't have many snakes, and snakes are my biggest fear, as far as animals go.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11094 on: October 03, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »
Well Wales pretty much has nothing dangerous animal-wise, as we killed them off centuries ago, but Japan seems to have a few nasties still. Today I was lucky enough to come across not one, but two hornet nests (google "Japanese hornet" if you're prepared for some scary stuff). There are also bears about, which I was quite happy about up until I saw one for myself in the woods and got so freaked out I ran all the way back to the farm I was staying at. This was around 4 years ago, and the people who owned the farm had told me that no way would I see any bears because there hadn't been any in that area for over 20 years..... This time some other people in my area also told me that I probably wouldn't see any snakes, and yet today I saw my fourth one. Methinks either people have been lying to me about what to expect in Japan or I'm just a real lucky person  :P
Spoiler:  Hornet nest from today... • show
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11095 on: October 03, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
yeahhh maybe not lethal but I was this close to getting bulldozed by a moose once. it was at a moose farm in sweden and only because my brother was distracting me so that would have been a pathetic way to go tbh

my family also forgot me/locked me inside a barn full of cows once and that was also pretty terrifying

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #11096 on: October 03, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »
Well Wales pretty much has nothing dangerous animal-wise, as we killed them off centuries ago, but Japan seems to have a few nasties still. Today I was lucky enough to come across not one, but two hornet nests (google "Japanese hornet" if you're prepared for some scary stuff). There are also bears about, which I was quite happy about up until I saw one for myself in the woods and got so freaked out I ran all the way back to the farm I was staying at. This was around 4 years ago, and the people who owned the farm had told me that no way would I see any bears because there hadn't been any in that area for over 20 years..... This time some other people in my area also told me that I probably wouldn't see any snakes, and yet today I saw my fourth one. Methinks either people have been lying to me about what to expect in Japan or I'm just a real lucky person  :P
Spoiler:  Hornet nest from today... • show

I googled "Japanese hornet".

I shouldn't have. D:

yeahhh maybe not lethal but I was this close to getting bulldozed by a moose once. it was at a moose farm in sweden and only because my brother was distracting me so that would have been a pathetic way to go tbh

my family also forgot me/locked me inside a barn full of cows once and that was also pretty terrifying

Cows are scary when they want to be. ;_;

We have lots of dangerous spiders and snakes here. I live in the city, so most of the time I don't have to worry about these things, but when we go to summer camp is a really really scary experience. Last month we went to a staff event, and we were ordered to clean a basement in one of the shacks, and there were LOTS of spiders, including brown spiders and one armed spider (one of the most venomous spiders in the world). Luckily for us, the camp's resident biologist helped us getting rid of them.
We were also attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes in the process. -_-
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11097 on: October 03, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

I'm sorry, I really really tried to stop myself from doing that but I failed the first step.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11098 on: October 03, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

I'm sorry, I really really tried to stop myself from doing that but I failed the first step.
i don't remember where this is from,, but someone sent this to me, anonymously,, on tumblr,,,, out of nowhere,,,,,,

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11099 on: October 03, 2015, 02:32:40 PM »

i don't remember where this is from,, but someone sent this to me, anonymously,, on tumblr,,,, out of nowhere,,,,,,

*tsk*  You don't recognize the famously cracked credits of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"?  You need to correct that gap in your education, stat
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: