Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387712 times)

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10995 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
Meanwhile Lovely Planet makes an interesting article about the Finnish national dress. I'm not even sure if I'm offended, splitting my sides laughing or just massively confused but fact is there's not a single Finnish national dress pictured in that article (cosplayers and Sami people will no doubt find familiar things there though).

Ehhh. That national dress series seems rather inacurate. I checked the Hungarian - at least I can spot real traditional dresses on two photos. But the article...

Talking about traditional costumes; I'm trying to find pictures of nordic regional garments for fan-art purposes, but I wasn't too sucsessful. Except for Norway.

So if any of you is aware of good sources of pictures, please let me know. i'm looking for traditional costumes from Savonia, Jämtland, Bornholm and I could do with more pics of Icelandic men's attire too.
You can guess why  ;)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10996 on: September 29, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
That one woman almost looks like she's dressed up as the Red Queen to me(not meant to be offensive somehow, just what she reminds me of here). >_>;

Definitely not a traditional Finnish dress. It kinda reminds me of like, I don't know, something you would expect to see someone wearing in the Victorian era? Maybe?

It's a Trinity Blood cosplay by Iris Rönkkö. :D

So if any of you is aware of good sources of pictures, please let me know. i'm looking for traditional costumes from Savonia, Jämtland, Bornholm and I could do with more pics of Icelandic men's attire too.
You can guess why  ;)

With Finland the problem is that there's so many different dress types within the Savonian area... any specific area you're looking for? As for Iceland, that one's easy because it isn't region-specific. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:19:19 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10997 on: September 29, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »

With Finland the problem is that there's so many different dress types within the Savonian area... any specific area you're looking for? As for Iceland, that one's easy because it isn't region-specific. :)

Thanks for the link! 
We don't exactly know where the Hotakainens are from, so I don't know what I'm really looking for  ::)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10998 on: September 29, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »
*Opens the fridge, remembering her housemates had put some new things inside yesterday* So, it's past noon, what could I eat tod...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1frkinx4dfqt34u/P1000290.JPG?dl=0
Okay. Something else.
Okay, now I want smørbrød med geitost. P:  On grov brød. Sliced with a genuine Norskie cheese slicer, of course. ^-^
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10999 on: September 29, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »
Meanwhile Lovely Planet makes an interesting article about the Finnish national dress. I'm not even sure if I'm offended, splitting my sides laughing or just massively confused but fact is there's not a single Finnish national dress pictured in that article (cosplayers and Sami people will no doubt find familiar things there though).

At least they're kind of right from a Norwegian point of view - an alternative name for the Saami in Norwegian is Finnfolk. But seriously, that's just ... plain cringeworthy. They clearly haven't done actual research.

I checked the Norwegian one and that was mostly correct (they'd have to be IDIOTS to get it wrong, it's such a big deal here after all). A traditional bridal crown looks like THIS however, not like some shabby pearl tiara.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:14:08 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11000 on: September 29, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
Thanks for the link! 
We don't exactly know where the Hotakainens are from, so I don't know what I'm really looking for  ::)

I just realized we know exactly where they're from - their family line comes from Mikkeli, Etelä-Savo! Of course chances are that in Y0 they weren't "native" to the area but as the national dress rules go, you only need a family member connection to be allowed a certain area dress. One detail though, if you're going to put the Hotakainen in national dress it probably should be the same area dress for all of them.

Etelä-Savo dress for men and women.
Larger image of the man's dress.
This one shows the woman's dress a bit better, plus the backside of the man's dress without the coat.
Woman's dress on the mannequin on left side.

EDITing to add: Tuuri is young and (likely) unmarried, so while she can wear the white cap on her head she can also go without it, or opt for a red silk ribbon (the ribbon is long and hangs halfway down the back).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:16:49 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11001 on: September 29, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
I just realized we know exactly where they're from - their family line comes from Mikkeli, Etelä-Savo! Of course chances are that in Y0 they weren't "native" to the area but as the national dress rules go, you only need a family member connection to be allowed a certain area dress. One detail though, if you're going to put the Hotakainen in national dress it probably should be the same area dress for all of them.

Etelä-Savo dress for men and women.
Larger image of the man's dress.
This one shows the woman's dress a bit better, plus the backside of the man's dress without the coat.
Woman's dress on the mannequin on left side.

EDITing to add: Tuuri is young and (likely) unmarried, so while she can wear the white cap on her head she can also go without it, or opt for a red silk ribbon (the ribbon is long and hangs halfway down the back).

You are my hero!  :-*
Oh, yes, we know they're from Mikkeli, how could I forget it...

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #11002 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
*Opens the fridge, remembering her housemates had put some new things inside yesterday* So, it's past noon, what could I eat tod...
Okay. Something else.

Little coincidences that make life more interesting...  ::)
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11003 on: September 29, 2015, 03:24:51 PM »
auto cannibalism? :D

Is ... that a CaH reference? It probably isn't but I think I recall something like that being on a card.

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11004 on: September 29, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »

Ah, I see! Never heard of Trinity Blood, kind of weird considering all of the anime I used to watch a few years back..

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11005 on: September 29, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
Is ... that a CaH reference?
A what ? I'm so bad with all the initials and/or diminutives in english.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11006 on: September 29, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »
A what ? I'm so bad with all the initials and/or diminutives in english.

Cards Against Humanity :)
YEET

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11007 on: September 29, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »
Is ... that a CaH reference? It probably isn't but I think I recall something like that being on a card.
Anything even vaguely awful is probably on a card against humanity somwhere.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11008 on: September 29, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
Cards Against Humanity :)
Thank Curry :) I... might have seen persons playing to something like that. Laughing a lot.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11009 on: September 29, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
I was so freaked out that I actually went and then accidentally stayed an hour longer than I was supposed to because I was reading a really good book and the teacher actually kicked me out... soooo yeah I'm really bad at detention I guess.
Obstructing detention with a sit-in. I don't know whether I should laugh or applaud. ;D

I was once caught scribbling on the (wooden graffiti-covered) desktop in the physics lab, and told to pass one recess sanding it clean again. It seems that the teacher didn't expect me to show up with power tools and a grinding wheel, rather than plain sand paper ...

Okay. Something else.
Right. Next, what stylish ride to use to go downtown ... ?

Kaino picked Aino up at the train station in Mikkeli, and they arrived at Einos Lumilintu, which would take them into the Saimaa lake system, only a short debate later. Given that they must have left their everyday lives on very short notice to become survivors, I don't think that Eino had time to bring his ship from someplace outside Greater Saimaa.

ETA: Kainos car seems to have EU (post 2001) license plates, so no clarification from them even if we could read the letter prefix. :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:30:59 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15