Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387455 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1005 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Of course that was scary, and you were right to check it out.  But I've had that happen, and your medical advice is almost certainly right -- you don't need to worry (at least about the arm issue). 

It may not even be "nerve issues," just circulation getting cut off temporarily.  I am quite prone to my feet and legs falling asleep.  And once, when I was using a sleeping bag during a Model U.N. field trip, my left arm fell asleep when it was under me.  I half-woke and had a nasty shock -- not just that I couldn't feel my own arm, but it felt as if someone else's arm was in the bag with me!   :o

As far as the hand numbness, since you're in a line of work that'll probably require heavy keyboard use over the years, hopefully you're getting good advice about ergonomics, hand position, etc. 

When I was at SAP, I had the pinky and ring fingers of my left hand go numb for a few months.  It was diagnosed as "ulnar tunnel syndrome" (counterpart of the more common "carpal tunnel syndrome").  Luckily, my responsible German employer bent over backwards to accommodate me -- a thorough evaluation by an ergonomics expert, advice on changing my posture, a special wrist-rest, rebuilding my desk chair, etc.  Eventually, the problem went away.  But it sure made me appreciate having all 10 working fingers again!
Another arm! My gosh what a wake-up call! ;___;

Maybe Eich's arm dilemma was some sort of after-effect from his car accident :/
If it happens again you should go get it checked out, just in case.

My composer friend is starting to lose feeling in her fingers and hands, but the doctor said it must be genetic because she hasn't been in a serious physical accident recently. So maybe get it checked out if it happens again, just to be on the safe side Eich. :S
But don't worry yourself over it! :)

My book recommendation isn't really in our age range, (pffffft they're for all ages! You're never too old!) but I don't care, these are the best kick-back-and-relax books I've ever read:
1. The Bartimaeus Trilogy/Series
2. Lockwood and Co Series, both by Jonathan Stroud.

The Bartimaeus series has the best example of sassy sarcasm I've ever read, and the story is fun and the world building is really interesting. And the characters are fantastic. Really fantastic.
The Lockwood series is fairly new, about young ghost-hunters in London. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down- it was really fun, pretty spooky and mysterious and really enjoyable ^u^ Plus, I liked finding all the shared points between the two series because there's a little fan-conspiracy-theory that th----- *ahem*
These books are like, my über passion. I'd be really hard-pressed if I had to choose between them and SSSS. O____O buuuut that's just me....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:08:53 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1006 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
Of course that was scary, and you were right to check it out.  But I've had that happen, and your medical advice is almost certainly right -- you don't need to worry (at least about the arm issue). 

It may not even be "nerve issues," just circulation getting cut off temporarily.  I am quite prone to my feet and legs falling asleep.  And once, when I was using a sleeping bag during a Model U.N. field trip, my left arm fell asleep when it was under me.  I half-woke and had a nasty shock -- not just that I couldn't feel my own arm, but it felt as if someone else's arm was in the bag with me!   :o

As far as the hand numbness, since you're in a line of work that'll probably require heavy keyboard use over the years, hopefully you're getting good advice about ergonomics, hand position, etc. 

When I was at SAP, I had the pinky and ring fingers of my left hand go numb for a few months.  It was diagnosed as "ulnar tunnel syndrome" (counterpart of the more common "carpal tunnel syndrome").  Luckily, my responsible German employer bent over backwards to accommodate me -- a thorough evaluation by an ergonomics expert, advice on changing my posture, a special wrist-rest, rebuilding my desk chair, etc.  Eventually, the problem went away.  But it sure made me appreciate having all 10 working fingers again!
I don't think it was circulatory, because for the entire two hours that I was awake, it didn't go away.  I've been trying to use better posture everyday to help out with stuff like that, ... *sits up straight* and with general back problems.  I've got a long spine which, according to materials science, means it's easier to screw up.  That said, I still slouch a lot...

I was really upset for the two weeks or so where I couldn't feel my pinky.  My ring finger was also just slightly numb, but it made playing guitar totally impossible.  So, for those two weeks, the only thing I wanted was to play a little bit, but I couldn't.  Honestly, I'm a little terrified of losing my fingers.  The only one I could afford to lose is my right pinky, but even then... I like my right pinky. 

Another arm! My gosh what a wake-up call! ;___;

Maybe Eich's arm dilemma was some sort of after-effect from his car accident :/
If it happens again you should go get it checked out, just in case.

My composer friend is starting to lose feeling in her fingers and hands, but the doctor said it must be genetic because she hasn't been in a serious physical accident recently. So maybe get it checked out if it happens again, just to be on the safe side Eich. :S
But don't worry yourself over it! :)

My book recommendation isn't really in our age range, (pffffft they're for all ages! You're never too old!) but I don't care, these are the best kick-back-and-relax books I've ever read:
1. The Bartimaeus Trilogy/Series
2. Lockwood and Co Series, both by Jonathan Stroud.

The Bartimaeus series has the best example of sassy sarcasm I've ever read, and the story is fun and the world building is really interesting. And the characters are fantastic. Really fantastic.
The Lockwood series is fairly new, about young ghost-hunters in London. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down- it was really fun, pretty spooky and mysterious and really enjoyable ^u^ Plus, I liked finding all the shared points between the two series because there's a little fan-conspiracy-theory that th----- *ahem*
These books are like, my über passion. I'd be really hard-pressed if I had to choose between them and SSSS. O____O buuuut that's just me....
I don't think it had anything to do with the accident, just me being dumb 11 weeks ago.  Oh, speaking of which, one of my roommates had his first accident a few days ago, too, and it was pretty much the exact same situation only, instead of rain, he wrecked because his car was low to the ground and he couldn't see what was going on in front of him.  He felt pretty crappy for a couple days, but he's doing better now.  Also, something terrifying is ahead of me... ice.  It's getting pretty cold over here now and, if it snows, I'm completely screwed.  I've never had to drive in snow or ice, and I don't know how to.  With a car as big as mine, this worries me a lot.

I've actually seen the Bartimaeus trilogy all over the place, but I don't think I know anyone who's recommended it to me personally.  I looked up the series, and recognized the titles though.
Feel free to PM.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1007 on: November 02, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
Why is it that the General Discussion Thread is now the "AH! MY ARM! I'M GOING TO DIE!" Thread?

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1008 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
Why is it that the General Discussion Thread is now the "AH! MY ARM! I'M GOING TO DIE!" Thread?

The general discussion thread tends to change wildly between subjects. One day it's the "crazy things that have happened to me" thread, the next it's the "Let's post pictures of bugs for our sick co-poster" thread and now it happens to be the "Ah! My arm!" thread. Wait a little and it'll change again.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1009 on: November 02, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »
The general discussion thread tends to change wildly between subjects. One day it's the "crazy things that have happened to me" thread, the next it's the "Let's post pictures of bugs for our sick co-poster" thread and now it happens to be the "Ah! My arm!" thread. Wait a little and it'll change again.
Okay. Side note- I found this really awesome website http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap3d/
I dunno, maybe it'll help you prepare for the Coming Storm?

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1010 on: November 02, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
Also, something terrifying is ahead of me... ice.  It's getting pretty cold over here now and, if it snows, I'm completely screwed.  I've never had to drive in snow or ice, and I don't know how to.  With a car as big as mine, this worries me a lot.

I've actually seen the Bartimaeus trilogy all over the place, but I don't think I know anyone who's recommended it to me personally.  I looked up the series, and recognized the titles though.
Hope your roommate is doing ok! :O
I think you're definitely asking the right fandom when it comes to winter driving! So many minions in snowy places! :)

(And I'm really surprised that you've seen it! Usually no one has ever heard of it! 8D)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1011 on: November 02, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
Hope your roommate is doing ok! :O
I think you're definitely asking the right fandom when it comes to winter driving! So many minions in snowy places! :)

(And I'm really surprised that you've seen it! Usually no one has ever heard of it! 8D)
He's doing pretty well right now, actually.  He got all the insurance stuff done, and it's our Fall break right now, so he and my other roommates have a few days off classes to relax and recuperate.  Also, one of my roommates is from up north, so he's already told us how, I just... didn't pay very good attention.  I'll be asking him again tomorrow if I see him, most likely.

Yep, I recognized the one with "Ptolemy" in the title immediately.  That book's cover was the first place I ever saw that word, and I spent days trying to figure out how to pronounce it.

For the exact same reason that you posted about fictional nuclear fission.  This is the thread for anything.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1012 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
He's doing pretty well right now, actually.  He got all the insurance stuff done, and it's our Fall break right now, so he and my other roommates have a few days off classes to relax and recuperate.  Also, one of my roommates is from up north, so he's already told us how, I just... didn't pay very good attention.  I'll be asking him again tomorrow if I see him, most likely.

Yep, I recognized the one with "Ptolemy" in the title immediately.  That book's cover was the first place I ever saw that word, and I spent days trying to figure out how to pronounce it.
For the exact same reason that you posted about fictional nuclear fission.  This is the thread for anything.

Yeah, it took me a little while to work out the P was silent X'D
If you ever do get around to reading any of them, let me know and we can randomly discuss! I've never been able to talk about them with a fellow-reader ;____;

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1013 on: November 02, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE I JUST GOT MY ARTD BOOK

I managed to sweet-talk the postal workers into redelivering it, and I was expecting it tomorrow, but no, it is here, Suomi postmark, and it is GORGEOUS. My colleague immediately was intrigued and I've just sent her links to ARTD and SSSS...

*strokes book creepily*  ;D

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1014 on: November 02, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE I JUST GOT MY ARTD BOOK

I managed to sweet-talk the postal workers into redelivering it, and I was expecting it tomorrow, but no, it is here, Suomi postmark, and it is GORGEOUS. My colleague immediately was intrigued and I've just sent her links to ARTD and SSSS...

*strokes book creepily*  ;D

It does have a nice-feeling cover X'D *tries not to sound creepy* be careful not so scratch it though, because it's got one of those scratches-easily covers u____u

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1015 on: November 02, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
It does have a nice-feeling cover X'D *tries not to sound creepy* be careful not so scratch it though, because it's got one of those scratches-easily covers u____u
O-oh dear. I'm not terribly good at not getting dings on my stuff.  :(

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1016 on: November 02, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
O-oh dear. I'm not terribly good at not getting dings on my stuff.  :(
I've put mine on my bookshelf and haven't picked it up in a while because I'm afraid of it not being in perfect condition for the rest of my life.  If it were plausible, I'd put it in a vacuum chamber to preserve it, and buy a second copy for reading.  Unfortunately, that's not plausible, so I'm just going to be really, really careful with it.
Feel free to PM.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1017 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »
I've put mine on my bookshelf and haven't picked it up in a while because I'm afraid of it not being in perfect condition for the rest of my life.  If it were plausible, I'd put it in a vacuum chamber to preserve it, and buy a second copy for reading.  Unfortunately, that's not plausible, so I'm just going to be really, really careful with it.
Hmmmmmmm. I think I'm just gonna accept the fact that it will get dinged, and already has some scuffs from shipping. Books are for reading. I can count on your perfect specimen copy (for all that it affects me, which is barely at all), so I'll just deal with my reading copy.  :-X

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1018 on: November 02, 2014, 11:48:22 PM »
Hmmmmmmm. I think I'm just gonna accept the fact that it will get dinged, and already has some scuffs from shipping. Books are for reading. I can count on your perfect specimen copy (for all that it affects me, which is barely at all), so I'll just deal with my reading copy.  :-X
They are for reading, yes, I just like having a pristine library that looks good.  I'm very careful with all of my books, even though I don't read very much.  It's just something I take some weird kind of pride in.
Feel free to PM.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1019 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:17 AM »
They are for reading, yes, I just like having a pristine library that looks good.  I'm very careful with all of my books, even though I don't read very much.  It's just something I take some weird kind of pride in.
I've only ever read a book twice around 10 times. Most of the time I buy it, read it, then it languishes on my bookshelf, gathering dust.