Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387448 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10815 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:50 AM »
YOU DID IIIIT!! I bet they were like "wow, this lady is really passionate about this stuff"! I don't know what kind of job it is (for some reason I pictured you as a lolita hitman), but good luck!

It's framing art. I did that in Finland before I moved here and it was my favourite job I've ever had. The shop that I'll be working for is a bit fancier than the one I was at so I'll have to learn to use some new machinery but that won't be a problem, they already let me have a try at their glass- and cardboard-cutting machines (I'm more used to doing glass cutting by hand and cardboard cutting by guillotine) and I almost did well. :D

Congratulations Laufey ! :D I promise I won't try your technique.

Oh yes, it only works if the target likes to give second chances (I did apologize them and explained what happened when I got there today, they seemed to think it was funny).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #10816 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »
Totally off-topic, but I just had one of those cringe flashbacks about the weirdest thing:
Back in the ancient* times, before the forum, there was a mysterious* issue with the comment thread where one couldn't edit their comment after someone had replied to it and there was an epidemic* of comment conversations that went like this
"I am in accordance old chum! PS I think you confused this with this...."
"Ah thanks kind friend, but oh golly gee now I can't edit it. Dang dilly ding dong what a pickle this is!"
And so there was a little brainstorm of ideas in how this might possibly be fixed and it was probably mine, but the terrible idea that just insta-haunted me was- get ready- "Maybe we should have a system where if we see a major mistake, we should go to the previous page and via comment-reply, let the person know so they can hopefully fix it in time and all will be well." AKA Plan Why Owl Isn't In Charge Of Anything Ever Nor Asked For Important Input. And then I thought about the current Forum, and was like "How did that era even exist? WAS IT EVEN REAL"
And I just.
The sudden memory.
A sudden facepalm. But like, into this face: "8I"

Just thought...I might share u__u

Those were weird times though. I thought Eich was a 50 year old old man and Nimphy was a college student. Weeeeeiiiird timessss.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:50:02 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10817 on: September 25, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »
glass cutting by hand

Oh I see *thousand-mile stare*

Those were weird times though. I thought Eich was a 50 year old old man and Nimphy was a college student. Weeeeeiiiird timessss.

I'm still not entirely convinced that's not the case.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:01:29 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10818 on: September 25, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
I requested a poem from someone!

(its so good)
oh wow this is kind of amazing? good job requesting it

Meanwhile I just got hired... by the same place that I accidentally cursed at on the phone. I just got back home and now I'm sitting here wondering what happened. :D
I'm not recommending this technique for jobseeking mind you, too huge a risk of backfiring.
aaAAA I TOLD YOU IT'LL BE FINE : D congrats!!

ok so
I did get help!! and I didn't cry!! (i didnt cry before either, just started to, after a 20 second conversation hahaha)
this ENTIRE THING is a trainwreck let me tell you, I feel much calmer about it because an adult Talked To Me about it in a calm voice and I think it'll be fine but like. I went home to try again, and I called the international section to complain about the online application being out of wonk, only to find a way to work with it JUST AS THEY ANSWERED THE PHONE so that was awkward, but then i found out it was kinda out of wonk anyway and i just WAHHH DON'T CARE I'LL JUST WRITE EVERYTHING IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND SEND IT
and now I gotta go back to the faculty with the horriblest trainwreck print ever (i dont even know what went wrong, if it's my fault or the site's), but they closed like the minute I finished so now I've gotta wait till monday : D

MY TIMING IS IMPECCABLE BUT I'M GONNA DO THIS

another fun technology-hates-me fact: my adblock is set to "disable everywhere" and won't let me change it back hahahahahaa ha ha i hate everything
you'll know where to find me.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10819 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
I'm still not entirely convinced that's not the case.
...Gotta agree with you there.
Eich could just have a great moisturising routine. And I'm sure Nim is a still super villain in a thousandth-bluff disguise. <_<
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10820 on: September 25, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Totally off-topic, but I just had one of those cringe flashbacks about the weirdest thing:
Back in the ancient* times, before the forum, there was a mysterious* issue with the comment thread where one couldn't edit their comment after someone had replied to it and there was an epidemic* of comment conversations that went like this
"Ah thanks kind friend, but oh golly gee now I can't edit it. Dang dilly ding dong what a pickle this is!"
And so there was a little brainstorm of ideas in how this might possibly be fixed and it was probably mine, but the terrible idea that just insta-haunted me was- get ready- "Maybe we should have a system where if we see a major mistake, we should go to the previous page and via comment-reply, let the person know so they can hopefully fix it in time and all will be well." AKA Plan Why Owl Isn't In Charge Of Anything Ever Nor Asked For Important Input. And then I thought about the current Forum, and was like "How did that era even exist? WAS IT EVEN REAL"
And I just.
The sudden memory.

Anyways,  this week has been failure after failure after failure.  Failed a test, forgot homework at home, couldn't play guitar, couldn't focus, went back to taking my ADD meds to do school work... All the bad things.  Hopefully my meds don't make me depressed like they did over the summer. I haven't taken them in a while because of that.  But through all of that, and working pretty much non-stop for the last two days, today is a lovely, rainy Friday, and I think it's time to relax.  UuU
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #10821 on: September 25, 2015, 10:43:16 AM »
And I just.
The sudden memory.

Yes. I remember that too.

I, uh, I guess I used to sound mature? Maybe?

Also, we were ALL sure Eich was like 40 or something.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10822 on: September 25, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
Meanwhile I just got hired... by the same place that I accidentally cursed at on the phone. I just got back home and now I'm sitting here wondering what happened. :D
I'm not recommending this technique for jobseeking mind you, too huge a risk of backfiring.

Yaaaaay! Congratulations!!! This is wonderful news. Now you can come visit me ;)

ok so
I did get help!! and I didn't cry!! (i didnt cry before either, just started to, after a 20 second conversation hahaha)
this ENTIRE THING is a trainwreck let me tell you, I feel much calmer about it because an adult Talked To Me about it in a calm voice and I think it'll be fine but like. I went home to try again, and I called the international section to complain about the online application being out of wonk, only to find a way to work with it JUST AS THEY ANSWERED THE PHONE so that was awkward, but then i found out it was kinda out of wonk anyway and i just WAHHH DON'T CARE I'LL JUST WRITE EVERYTHING IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND SEND IT
and now I gotta go back to the faculty with the horriblest trainwreck print ever (i dont even know what went wrong, if it's my fault or the site's), but they closed like the minute I finished so now I've gotta wait till monday : D

MY TIMING IS IMPECCABLE BUT I'M GONNA DO THIS

Haiz I am very proud of you, and how you got all this done. As for the rest, you got this. :)

Anyways,  this week has been failure after failure after failure.  Failed a test, forgot homework at home, couldn't play guitar, couldn't focus, went back to taking my ADD meds to do school work... All the bad things.  Hopefully my meds don't make me depressed like they did over the summer. I haven't taken them in a while because of that.  But through all of that, and working pretty much non-stop for the last two days, today is a lovely, rainy Friday, and I think it's time to relax.  UuU

* Feartheviolas hugs

Relaxing will be good. Take a break, play some guitar. I plan on practicing this weekend as well.

Meanwhile they're trying to build a metro here or something and blasting holes in the ground across the street. There goes sleeping in :/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:50:45 AM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #10823 on: September 25, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
Also, we were ALL sure Eich was like 40 or something.
It must have been a surprise. For all of you, including him ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #10824 on: September 25, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
@Laufey Congratulations! I'm so glad! It seems like they take things in stride, so that's a good sign. Hopefully this job will work out really well for you. : D

@Haiz I'm glad you were able to talk to someone about it! But wow, those technology issues, what a pain. Good luck getting that all sorted out. :T

@Eich Wow, that sounds awful. BUT! It's the end of the week. I hope you'll enjoy your relaxing Friday, and that next week will go better.

As for me, it's very cold and blah outside, but any day that I don't have to work is a good day. I have so many fic drafts that I want to work on! Mostly aRTD stuff. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #10825 on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
I requested a poem from someone!

(its so good)

IT IS SO GOOD I WANNA HANG THIS ON MY WALL

Oh wow, I had forgotten about that issue xD  And then disqus came and all was well (again).  Everyone thought I was old.  You're not alone. 

:< *pats Eich*
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10826 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
...Gotta agree with you there.
Eich could just have a great moisturising routine. And I'm sure Nim is a still super villain in a thousandth-bluff disguise. <_<
I don't need moisturizing.  My skin is flawless already. Flawless, I say!
And Nimphy isn't a super villain.  She's the ruler of the world!

* Feartheviolas hugs
Relaxing will be good. Take a break, play some guitar. I plan on practicing this weekend as well.
That sounds pretty good.  U-U  I will finally have some free time this weekend if you want that next lesson!

It must have been a surprise. For all of you, including him ^^
It was.  o_O  Like, I used to use much more formal writing in the old comments sections in aRTD and SSSS, but that was before I really got to know anyone.  I opened up a lot more after that.  ^-^  I think that happens a lot here, especially with people like me who haven't been as active online with others in the past.  Either way, neat neat neat.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10827 on: September 25, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
It was.  o_O  Like, I used to use much more formal writing in the old comments sections in aRTD and SSSS, but that was before I really got to know anyone.  I opened up a lot more after that.  ^-^  I think that happens a lot here, especially with people like me who haven't been as active online with others in the past.  Either way, neat neat neat.

On a scale from "yo yo yo teabag420dawg in da house" to Moses presenting the Ten Commandments to the Israelites I think your formality level has been just slightly above average on this forum. Sunflower gets the prize for most formal style in my book.

Mélusine

« Reply #10828 on: September 25, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
So if we refer to the way we speak or write, I'll be an old lady quickly ^^
Enjoy your weekend, you really deserve it :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #10829 on: September 25, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »
So I just downloaded a recording app on my tablet, so that I can record my voice. But the fun thing is I'm soo nervous/can't stand my own voice/etc that I can't bring myself to record me speaking anything before I choke up and sound really forced (which causes me to speak extremely squeaky and does not reflect the natural way I speak). Does anyone have any tips of how to cope with it?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: