Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387506 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10665 on: September 21, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »
Tenth Doctor, yes! He and Donna Noble made such a great team, I think that was my favorite season of the whole show <3

("Blink" <3)

This was THE FIRST EPISODE I EVER WATCHED and I was so confused and kind of scared (I never recovered from the idea of Weeping Angels, honestly) but I wanted more and the rest is history (was? will be? tenses are confusing)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10666 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »
ahhahaha this reminds me of the time I used to be invested in doctor who... that's a long time gone, now. I guess my interest in any TV series that aren't cartoons is pre-destined to dwindle eventually.

speaking of cartoons, i was at the store today and almost crashed into some japanese students?? in genuinely japanese school uniforms?? talking japanese?? in trondheim?? i think my life turned into an anime and my hair isn't even blue right now
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #10667 on: September 21, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
(I know this is a delicate topic, but I like Moffat's era, for the most part)
Hey, each to their own :)

To be honest, the one character who made the greatest impression on young me back then was the Master. He was only there for one or two episodes but my God, he made every season he was in.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #10668 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »
(I know this is a delicate topic, but I like Moffat's era, for the most part)
Moffat is one reason I'm less and less interested :-\ Too disappointed by what had been resumed by friends as "There is a mystery in a mystery in a mystery" and the lack of explications. And one absolutely non-sense season finale. To my mind, Moffat is very interesting when you give him one, two, three episodes in a season. But alone, it's... it's... can I say "not my cup of tea" ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #10669 on: September 21, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
Moffat is one reason I'm less and less interested :-\ Too disappointed by what had been resumed by friends as "There is a mystery in a mystery in a mystery" and the lack of explications. And one absolutely non-sense season finale. To my mind, Moffat is very interesting when you give him one, two, three episodes in a season. But alone, it's... it's... can I say "not my cup of tea" ?
That's a common accusation I've seen levelled at him: have him write just one, maybe two episodes per season and he comes up with some of the best stuff ever (the empty child and the weeping angels, anyone? or the clockwork robots of versailles?). But give him the whole show to play around with and, well, see for yourself. It's different to his earlier stuff, to put it one way.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #10670 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
Tenth Doctor, yes! He and Donna Noble made such a great team, I think that was my favorite season of the whole show <3

This was THE FIRST EPISODE I EVER WATCHED and I was so confused and kind of scared (I never recovered from the idea of Weeping Angels, honestly) but I wanted more and the rest is history (was? will be? tenses are confusing)

Weeping Angels are the most scary thing they ever invented on the show, but they make every episode they are in 10000x cooler.
And this is being said by someone who hates horror. So that's saying something. ::)

Actually, I must correct myself: the scariest thing in Doctor Who so far were those peg dolls. I hate those peg dolls. I hate everything about that freaking episode, it was so scary. ;_;

speaking of cartoons, i was at the store today and almost crashed into some japanese students?? in genuinely japanese school uniforms?? talking japanese?? in trondheim?? i think my life turned into an anime and my hair isn't even blue right now

They are not fooled by your hair, they know it's actually green. Are you prepared for your own adventure??

To be honest, the one character who made the greatest impression on young me back then was the Master. He was only there for one or two episodes but my God, he made every season he was in.

The Master, yes!! John Simm is an amazing actor! (Is about his incarnation of The Master we're talking about, right?)

Aha, that's exactly why I like him... ::)
You see, I love those long episodes with lots of twists and time travels and weird timelines and stuff. I love his storytelling and the fast pace of happenings that he puts in every episode.
The only thing I dislike about him is making The Doctor flirt with. Every. Single. Person. In. The. Universe. THIS IS SO ANNOYING.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #10671 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »
Ninth was my first but I also came to love Ten. I can't stand most of the stuff after Moffat got to be show runner, but the 50th anniversary was pretty wonderful.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10672 on: September 21, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
Tom Baker will always be The One True Doctor, to me.   ;)

Somehow, the show seemed better when it was cheesier.  ::)  In the snow.  Uphill, both ways.
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Mélusine

« Reply #10673 on: September 21, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
Aha, that's exactly why I like him... ::)
You see, I love those long episodes with lots of twists and time travels and weird timelines and stuff. I love his storytelling and the fast pace of happenings that he puts in every episode.
The only thing I dislike about him is making The Doctor flirt with. Every. Single. Person. In. The. Universe. THIS IS SO ANNOYING.
If there are explications, it's okay. But the holes in the stories are a real problem for me.
Spoiler: Examples • show
I still can't believe the reason used in "The girl who waited" to separate characters had been approved -__- When I heard and saw it I had thought that even when I was around 18 - Without pretending I was good but this reason is so ridiculous for the episode and the character - I would have had a doubt that writing such a thing could be coherent and acceptable.
Oh, and, "Hello, we are the Silence, we are powerful, we are dangerous, and here and now we do... nothing. Yeah. Nothing is good." T_T
After "The wedding of River Song", my little sister, still watching the screen, said two things : "What was that ?" and "... at least we can still re-watch the previous seasons", which resume my opinion ::)

But Moffat can be brilliant, yes :) To my mind, again, if you don't let him all the season.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:13:10 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10674 on: September 21, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »
11 and 12 were my first ones. David Tennant has beautiful crazy eyes.

Also, Melusine, my dad was researching dragon names for a project and yours came up and I nearly flipped out (but luckily managed not to before I had to explain myself). I was like "wait what no that is but - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #10675 on: September 21, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »
Tom Baker will always be The One True Doctor, to me.   ;)

Somehow, the show seemed better when it was cheesier.  ::)  In the snow.  Uphill, both ways.

Someday I will watch the entire classic series. It's on my list.

(I tried once and failed miserably)

If there are explications, it's okay. But the holes in the stories are a real problem for me.
Spoiler: Examples • show
I still can't believe the reason used in "The girl who waited" to separate characters had been approved -__- When I heard and saw it I had thought that even when I was around 18 I would have had a doubt that writing such a thing could be coherent and acceptable.
Oh, and, "Hello, we are the Silence, we are powerful, we are dangerous, and here and now we do... nothing. Yeah. Nothing is good." T_T
After "The wedding of River Song", my little sister, still watching the screen, said two things : "What was that ?" and "... at least we can still re-watch the previous seasons", which resume my opinion ::)

But Moffat can be brilliant, yes :) To my mind, again, if you don't let him all the season.

Spoiler: show

Yeah, okay. I have to agree with you about "The Wedding of River Song". That episode was so lame. :/
And The Silence really don't have a bigger role other than have an interesting way of making people forget things.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

« Reply #10676 on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »

Yeah, okay. I have to agree with you about "The Wedding of River Song". That episode was so lame. :/
And The Silence really don't have a bigger role other than have an interesting way of making people forget things.
For your second sentence : it is Moffat weakness for me ; he come with interesting ideas, and all seems so good and huge during more than half the season and... he don't give a proper end for several of them, as if it had been forgotten, which is a bit a shame for me because it could really have been good and huge :)
But I think I'll try the new season, I'm still a little curious.

Also, Melusine, my dad was researching dragon names for a project and yours came up and I nearly flipped out (but luckily managed not to before I had to explain myself). I was like "wait what no that is but - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
It... can make sense but... for some personal reasons it's a bit funny, I'm not the member of my family called "the dragon" ;D

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10677 on: September 22, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
Today it tried to snow. Last week it was 27°c suddenly but nope it's back to winter GO HOME SPRING YOU'RE APPARENTLY OVERPOWERED? -__-
And I had to walk through town to the bus stop, and my poopy umbrella died from the slightest gust of wind and I kinda got mad and threw it in a bin, and this lady looked at me like ":S" -____________-
So I am now soaked. Also my bag is not waterproof and for some reason I brought my art journal containing all my graduation work la la la lA La LA LA LALALA
I think it's ok though. <_< it's pencil...
Also I saw a happy retriever dog in the rain and it was great.

Also, I had a rain-fueled art need: what if..emil shook water everywhere like a fluffy dog and lalli is soaked and just horrified and highly offended like the look of utter disgust and mrrrrrdrrrrrr
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
« Reply #10678 on: September 22, 2015, 04:31:13 AM »
I have very mixed feelings about Moffat.. :S
Hope the weather improves soon for you, OrigamiOwl. D:

So I'm taking a 3 (?) week hiatus from the forum to focus on my upcoming finals, I'll see you guys after that! (:
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10679 on: September 22, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
Oh oh oh you guys are discussing Dr Who? :D (*ditches previous attempts at discussion with non whovians u__u* You know who you are, I'm sorry. Your silent horror offends me not, it's cool. If you hide and don't answer the door, I will go away XP)
I grew up with the classic series (I'm not old...the tv station decided to rerun them in my early school years <_<) and I only ever missed one episode because I was on a school camp and everyone forgot to tape it for me. Never forget. It was an Ice Warrior one I'm pretty sure? Definitely Tom Baker U__U
But I liked them! The music.... XD I like the reboot series. The back-in-time historical ones are my jam....
Spoiler: rambled list • show
The werewolf one, the Agatha Christie one, the Pompei onnnnne, the Shakespeare oneeeee, Marie Antoinette, Charles Dickens, sort of the Cowboy one, the Orient Express In Space one, The Impossible Planet (omg that one aa) Van Gogh, like The Library, the Byzantium, also the creepy weeping angel house/Sally's environment etc you know. Ones set in a place and stuff? (the steampunk ones got a bit tiring for me and i love steampunk?!?)

The space-heavy ones...I just...space kinda freaks me out..and it just seemed a bit boring setting-wise for me. Like, the classic series had scene after scene shot in old quarries and stuff and that worked! But the latest ones...too much "typical grey moffat-ian spaceship slowly spinning in space" type sets. Kinda feels like a rip off to me, even though Dr Who's DEAL is space. Like, Moffat just tends to go with "random place in outer space" as the setting a lot (I was dreading/loathing the recent episode until they unspoilered the setting) and it's kinda boring? He doesn't do anything really interesting with it and the concrete interiors and over-glossy cgi exteriors just...have no...zing. Maybe that's just me. And when Moffat does use a setting, it's only for about thirty seconds or just so a character can emerge coolly, say some one-liner and then "snappy scene change" to another setting repeat for character after character ad nauseum until you're halfway through the episode with only half a clue of what the plot actually is only that it's apparently the biggest "battle" ever and the Dr is certainly going to die (Trenzalore, the recent one, the one with the random astronaut in the lake, mmmmaybe Pandorica etc etc etc) and then YES IT'S EXACTLY the "mystery in a mystery wrapped in a mystery" type thing and it just gets solved in the end and stuff..but nothing really happened?! Like, the new ones are getting fancier productions but less...I dunno, oomph. The classic series were so weird and every story went for like, ten million parts but they were still engaging and had cool ideas and stuff. The early reboot ones were also weird but they kinda had quality over quantity when it comes to audience connection? Like, I cried a lot at the sad episodes with 9 and Tennant, but I don't think I've felt much close connection at all with the 11 and 12 episodes so far? That I can remember? (Oh wait the Van Gogh one made me cry, but mostly because Van Gogh and Art feels)
And the latest ones are all just CGI Setting + ALL THE SETTINGS ONE SECOND EACH+ convoluted (not the good kind) plot + more characters then you can shake a stick at + EPIC MUSIC + supposedly high stakes every time but it kinda feels a bit over-produced and flat occasionally. Like, they just shove stuff at you and the monologues/speeches/lines seem kinda unrelated to the story sometimes for me, like they wrote it Just Because and it was Clever. Which it always is, but it doesn''''t hhhhhhavevvevve connectiiivvveveveve ooommmppphh[/spoiler]

Oh gosh Im so sorry for just blurghing out a Who rant ;___; Imma put the whole thing under a spoiler
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:18:28 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: