Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388038 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10170 on: September 07, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
I assume everybody will understand, Eich, and tell you studies are important so it's normal you allowed more time to that than the forum. I'm sure you're doing your best :) Good luck for all you have to do *Offers hugs/tea/hot chocolate/biscuits/anything comforting*

A picture of me at the moment:

And good luck for you too, RTR *Offers the same* Some moments in life are... more busy than others.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10171 on: September 07, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
Alright, so. I'm a few weeks into the new school year, now. I've moved five times in the last five months, most recently on Friday.  I was hoping to have some more time for the forum now that I'm off work, and wont be moving again for several months, but... this is going to be a very busy semester.

I'm already getting about 3 times as much homework as I'm used to, and I have tests (upcoming this week already)/papers/projects in all of my classes already.  And the crippling dread that I'm studying the wrong thing that was giving me small panic attacks before coming back is persisting even though I'm already back, and...

Basically... I'm stressed and distraught and I'm making a terrible Forum-Thor for y'all cause I've barely been here in months.  ;__;  I'm so sorry y'all, and I hope I can come back and Thor full time again soon.

Eich, please stop with the "terrible" nonsense, willya?  You have done a great job in many ways, the most relevant now: You recruited and trained replacements.
Eriaror and Hushpiper do terrific things on the tech end, Viola and Kjeks on the policy and content-management end.  (Me?  I'm... um... cute to have around, maybe.)  Not to forget all our hundreds of wonderful Forum members who post great content and report bugs and do a lot to support one another every day. 

That's not to say we won't miss you, and won't be happy when things smooth out so that you can spend more time with us.  But we don't *need* you as a hands-on administrator like we did a year ago.  And hopefully you'll take some comfort from that, O Mighty Founder. 

If you need to focus on school now, we'll be OK!  Really!  Because you showed the foresight to get the Forum whipped into shape and have us all in position. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10172 on: September 07, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
Alright, so. I'm a few weeks into the new school year, now. I've moved five times in the last five months, most recently on Friday.  I was hoping to have some more time for the forum now that I'm off work, and wont be moving again for several months, but... this is going to be a very busy semester. I'm already getting about 3 times as much homework as I'm used to, and I have tests (upcoming this week already)/papers/projects in all of my classes already.  And the crippling dread that I'm studying the wrong thing that was giving me small panic attacks before coming back is persisting even though I'm already back, and... Basically... I'm stressed and distraught and I'm making a terrible Forum-Thor for y'all cause I've barely been here in months.  ;__;  I'm so sorry y'all, and I hope I can come back and Thor full time again soon.

Much encouraging thoughts to you Eich! We're here for you if you need us, and like Sunny said if you need to take a longer forum hiatus, we will be able to keep things going while you are away. Take some time for yourself, focus on your life and what you want, don't worry about the forum, we've got everything under control, not that this forum needs much moderation in the first place :) And we will be here to welcome you when you feel ready to come back.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10173 on: September 07, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
You guys are the best. ;u; 
I'll let y'all know when things start clearing up for me, and I have some more free time on my hands.  I'll try to spend a little more of my current free time making posts, if only to feel a bit more involved in the community again. Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.
Feel free to PM.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #10174 on: September 08, 2015, 06:06:20 AM »
Basically... I'm stressed and distraught and I'm making a terrible Forum-Thor for y'all cause I've barely been here in months.

Oh Eich, how could you?  If only you had a) previously expanded the forum moderation pool to include lots of people who can step in as needed; b) given them everything they needed to do their jobs well; and c) been responsible enough to address issues you could see coming, before they actually arose ...

... then you could ...

... we could ...

... then ... erm ...

right, so, actually you did all those things.  Apparently a good Forum-Thor plans ahead.  So .. nice work!  Personally I can think of some large companies and a few nation states that could benefit from your ability.  Possibly also your large hammer.

Thanks for everything you're doing!  And good luck in school.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10175 on: September 08, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
I just found an extra hour in the daily schedule that could be used for making trousers... except that before I even start I have to take into account that while I'm size 36 from waist up I'm 44 below (thanks for the butt genes mum). All trouser patterns have to be suitably altered narrower from thigh-down, so:

- I need a measuring tape. I own five, I find none (this is why I own five of them in the first place).
- I somehow make do using a ruler and a strip of fabric. I open the pattern and start looking for the pattern paper.
- I find a measuring tape, no pattern paper.
- Well ok, I can substitute with baking paper. Where's my pencil now. Not this, this is just another measuring tape, oooo so that's where the pattern paper roll was, it had rolled under the bed.
- Now I've lost my paper scissors and I'm NOT using my fabric scissors instead no matter what, guess I'm about to find the pencils and the rest of my measuring tapes...  >:(
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #10176 on: September 08, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
Laufey - It sounds like the universe is conspiring against you. Or there are little creatures playing tricks on you... ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10177 on: September 08, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
Laufey - It sounds like the universe is conspiring against you. Or there are little creatures playing tricks on you... ;p

House elves... it was house elves all along.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #10178 on: September 08, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
House elves... it was house elves all along.
That is the only logical explanation.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10179 on: September 08, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
I just found an extra hour in the daily schedule that could be used for making trousers... except that before I even start I have to take into account that while I'm size 36 from waist up I'm 44 below (thanks for the butt genes mum). All trouser patterns have to be suitably altered narrower from thigh-down, so:

- I need a measuring tape. I own five, I find none (this is why I own five of them in the first place).
- I somehow make do using a ruler and a strip of fabric. I open the pattern and start looking for the pattern paper.
- Well ok, I can substitute with baking paper. Where's my pencil now. Not this, this is just another measuring tape, oooo so that's where the pattern paper roll was, it had rolled under the bed.
- Now I've lost my paper scissors and I'm NOT using my fabric scissors instead no matter what, guess I'm about to find the pencils and the rest of my measuring tapes...  >:(

On the positive side you at least know what any of this means. I couldn't even sew a sock to save my life.

(thanks for the butt genes mum)

Family treasure booty.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10180 on: September 08, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
Family treasure booty.

Just the other day I was thinking I haven't needed this reaction image for a while...

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10181 on: September 08, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
Just the other day I was thinking I haven't needed this reaction image for a while...

My bad *wrings jacket dry*, been busy y'know. Still got it though.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10182 on: September 08, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »

I can relate to this. Why does everything insist on growing legs and walking away? Wishing you luck!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10183 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
I can relate to this. Why does everything insist on growing legs and walking away? Wishing you luck!
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10184 on: September 08, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »

The struggle is real.

(Ahahaha well done setting off the Haiz art reflex Ana! :D)