Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387275 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10140 on: September 07, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Yup.

I have since moved it into a glass bowl and am waiting for a friend to loan us a tank.

That is a lovely goldfish! Have you named the wee beast yet?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #10141 on: September 07, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
When we get there, my plan is to go to every bakery in sight. XD
May the God of Flight Detours save you from that neverending quest. ;D

(Serious, Germany's even more enthusiastic about varieties of bread than about sausages. Run West if you can, France has only about 400 kinds of cheese.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #10142 on: September 07, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
If you haven't been on a plane before, my advice is to get some chewing gum -- it'll help equalize the pressure in your ears as you take off.
Addendum:
  • A seat between the wings (too late for that, I suppose; the plane's point of gravity rotates as much as the rest but moves around less while doing so, and you'll have more leg space next to the emergency exits there)
  • Tight, preferably knee-high, stockings (slightly elevated embolism risk in long-distance flights, compression helps against that)
  • (Read up on current air travel security procedures. They're now radically different from anything you'll ever have seen in the movies, in particular, way more time-consuming.)
  • Try some tomato juice. Nobody knows why, but it does taste different (better) at altitude. (No alcohol, it has more of an effect on people in flight.)
  • A vest or some other garment with lots of pockets, pre-loaded with passport, ticket, and several pens. Paperwork multiplies and you cannot flip your hand luggage open and closed all the time (for starters, it's stowed overhead in the cabin, where you might be asked to fill in immigration forms before landing).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #10143 on: September 07, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
Sooo, starting Tuesday, I'll be in Germany for 2 weeks visiting my sister. :D Considering I've never been outside of the west coast of the United States, this is a kinda significant trip for me. The plane ride will be about 10 hours, and I've never been on a plane before, so that should be interesting. When we get there, my plan is to go to every bakery in sight. XD

We will also be going to Prague for a couple of days!

AaaahhhhHHH that sounds amazing! I hope you'll have a wonderful time! Visiting every bakery in sight once you get to Germany sounds like an A++ plan. Oh, and I do hope you'll have a good time in Prague, everything I hear about it is that it is absolutely lovely.

I see others have given good advice for the flight, so hopefully that will be of use to you, and I wish you a safe and comfortable one. It will be... long. Very long. But the end is so worth it.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10144 on: September 07, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
That is a lovely goldfish! Have you named the wee beast yet?

Solovei suggested Gilbert. I'll have to see how it goes. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #10145 on: September 07, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
Oh gosh. That's a great name. (I have a character named Gilbert. In fact that's the character I'm using for my icon at the moment)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #10146 on: September 07, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

And then I just looked at the ground and whispered in a voice full of loathing-

"Hetalia"

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #10147 on: September 07, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »

"Hetalia"

I... I'm glad it wasn't just me. (。_。)  Oh dear.
(Though the loathing is mostly facetious and self-referential in this case, but)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10148 on: September 07, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »

"Hetalia"

And I don't know anything about Hetalia. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10149 on: September 07, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
Wait what's wrong with Hetalia? I don't really know much about it, but I know of it and people seem to have such extreme reactions to it. Is there something really bad about it?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #10150 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
Addendum:
  • A seat between the wings (too late for that, I suppose; the plane's point of gravity rotates as much as the rest but moves around less while doing so, and you'll have more leg space next to the emergency exits there)
  • Tight, preferably knee-high, stockings (slightly elevated embolism risk in long-distance flights, compression helps against that)
  • (Read up on current air travel security procedures. They're now radically different from anything you'll ever have seen in the movies, in particular, way more time-consuming.)
  • Try some tomato juice. Nobody knows why, but it does taste different (better) at altitude. (No alcohol, it has more of an effect on people in flight.)
  • A vest or some other garment with lots of pockets, pre-loaded with passport, ticket, and several pens. Paperwork multiplies and you cannot flip your hand luggage open and closed all the time (for starters, it's stowed overhead in the cabin, where you might be asked to fill in immigration forms before landing).
Also remember to keep hydrated on the plane and (I don't know your age so I don't know if this applies) don't drink anything alcoholic.
Will do! (and the alcohol won't be a problem, I'm definitely not old enough for that)
Wow, quite the adventure!  Where in Germany?  My parents leave tomorrow for 3 weeks in Germany and France, mainly Frankfurt, where my brother and his family recently moved. (He works for the US State Department, in foreign aid.)
If you haven't been on a plane before, my advice is to get some chewing gum -- it'll help equalize the pressure in your ears as you take off.
Ah, Queidersbach! My sister's husband works in the US Air Force, so that's where they've been stationed for awhile. And my mom already suggested the chewing gum thing, hopefully I'll remember.

Unfortunately this means I won't be able to go on the forum often, if at all. That's okay though, I'm sure the trip will be plenty enough to make up for it.

"Hetalia"
I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING except I actually really like hetalia ahahaha woops
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #10151 on: September 07, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Wait what's wrong with Hetalia? I don't really know much about it, but I know of it and people seem to have such extreme reactions to it. Is there something really bad about it?

It's actually my main fandom, and the issue I have with it boils down to "a lot of people in the fandom are obnoxious and have been arguing about the same things since 2009". It's kind of an exhausting fandom to be active in.
But the issues people have with it vary.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #10152 on: September 07, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »

It depends on one's sense of humor, and some fans get a little too carried away. It's based on stereotypes and some people find it particularly offensive. I love it for a better visual understanding (I'm a visual Lerner and history and I did not get along.) So it's completely person by person. But I do have to say, some of the younger/newer fans are umm well *nervous chuckle* a little rambunctious with their fandom love. (And I second what Yuuago says. )

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10153 on: September 07, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
It's actually my main fandom, and the issue I have with it boils down to "a lot of people in the fandom are obnoxious and have been arguing about the same things since 2009". It's kind of an exhausting fandom to be active in.
But the issues people have with it vary.
It depends on one's sense of humor, and some fans get a little too carried away. It's based on stereotypes and some people find it particularly offensive. I love it for a better visual understanding (I'm a visual Lerner and history and I did not get along.) So it's completely person by person. But I do have to say, some of the younger/newer fans are umm well *nervous chuckle* a little rambunctious with their fandom love. (And I second what Yuuago says. )

Ahhh ok I understand now. Thank you for explaining it to me :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #10154 on: September 07, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Ahhh ok I understand now. Thank you for explaining it to me :)

You're welcome Miss Viola. (Sorry I watched Happy Feet not to long ago and yeah.)