Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387567 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10125 on: September 06, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
... 's way too early in the day for me to even know what I'll be doing today. But it will probably involve writing fic. And postcards. And taking care of the responsibilities that I neglected yesterday (oops).
Writing is always a good idea :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10126 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
I like it when people write. :)

Today I think I am getting drop-in guests (again) but I had warning so I cleaned up a little (well, at least there are flat surfaces instead of piles of paper). Trying to get my brain together to remember all the important things I need to do, which is hard to do when only getting 5 hours of sleep each night (either due to my own stupidity or other people waking up too early).

Yesterday we got a bonus goldfish from a child's birthday party. Not happy with fish pong (like beer pong, instead of beer, it is a cup with fish and water).
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10127 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
We have an other name than museum for these places :) I saw a few of them, but not a Viking one, for obvious reasons. Oh, wait, there is a village reconstruction in a bigger place, does it count or should I add "see a Viking museum" on my I-wish to-do list ? Mmmh...
it's not actually viking-themed... we call it a "folk museum". I'm not sure how old the oldest buildings there are, but there's a stavkirke! it's painted red and doesn't really look like a stavkirke... also there are the ruins of a castle on top of a hill.

Is there much of a difference between an archery club and a historical archery club?
Maybe your targets are shaped like olden warriors? ;D
well, a modern archery club uses modern bows and are more competition-based. our club uses mostly longbows, horsebows and other wooden (often self-made) bows. most of us also own at least one shift of viking-y clothes so we can attend viking markets and similar events, like today! we don't have any warrior shaped targets as of yet, but we have a fake deer and a bear if that's any consolation. we also call the tree stumps we shoot at orcs or trolls.

I'm home, by the way! today was pretty great (even if a little cold) and I'm gonna post some pictures soon ^__^ I hope you guys are doing good!
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #10128 on: September 06, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
it's not actually viking-themed... we call it a "folk museum". I'm not sure how old the oldest buildings there are, but there's a stavkirke! it's painted red and doesn't really look like a stavkirke... also there are the ruins of a castle on top of a hill.
Okay, that's enough to make me interested :D
That's what I was thinking, your "folk museum" are us "écomusées" (Places with old/reconstructed buildings, showing clothes, tools, with persons explaining how it worked...)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #10129 on: September 06, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
Sooo, starting Tuesday, I'll be in Germany for 2 weeks visiting my sister. :D Considering I've never been outside of the west coast of the United States, this is a kinda significant trip for me. The plane ride will be about 10 hours, and I've never been on a plane before, so that should be interesting. When we get there, my plan is to go to every bakery in sight. XD

We will also be going to Prague for a couple of days! I'd be sleeping on a couch the entire trip if we hadn't changed our side trip from England to Prague. Now I'll only have to sleep on a couch most of the time. (I think. I haven't gotten a confirmation if I'll actually get a bed in that apartment) (SO, just found out it's a couch bed. Technically I'll be sleeping on a couch the entire time. ::) Whatever, I'll take it) So, has anyone heard of the Invisible Exhibition? This page explains what it is: http://neviditelna.cz/en/. We were planning on going to that in Prague, my sister said some of her friends went there and they said it was really *eye opening*.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #10130 on: September 06, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
Sooo, starting Tuesday, I'll be in Germany for 2 weeks visiting my sister. :D Considering I've never been outside of the west coast of the United States, this is a kinda significant trip for me. The plane ride will be about 10 hours, and I've never been on a plane before, so that should be interesting. When we get there, my plan is to go to every bakery in sight. XD

We will also be going to Prague for a couple of days! I'd be sleeping on a couch the entire trip if we hadn't changed our side trip from England to Prague. Now I'll only have to sleep on a couch most of the time. (I think. I haven't gotten a confirmation if I'll actually get a bed in that apartment) (SO, just found out it's a couch bed. Technically I'll be sleeping on a couch the entire time. ::) Whatever, I'll take it) So, has anyone heard of the Invisible Exhibition? This page explains what it is: http://neviditelna.cz/en/. We were planning on going to that in Prague, my sister said some of her friends went there and they said it was really *eye opening*.

Ooh, have fun! Going out of the country for the first time is really exciting, I'm happy for you ;D. Just remember to bring a book or something else to do on the plane, or else it's quite boring. I always liked watching out the windows during takeoff, though. And the Invisible Exhibition sounds like a really interesting experience, you'll have to tell us all about it when you get back! ...am I the only one who finds sleeping on a couch to be pretty comfortable? Everyone always complains about it, but I've never had a problem...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #10131 on: September 06, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Ooh, have fun! Going out of the country for the first time is really exciting, I'm happy for you ;D. Just remember to bring a book or something else to do on the plane, or else it's quite boring. I always liked watching out the windows during takeoff, though. And the Invisible Exhibition sounds like a really interesting experience, you'll have to tell us all about it when you get back! ...am I the only one who finds sleeping on a couch to be pretty comfortable? Everyone always complains about it, but I've never had a problem...
I was actually going to attempt to sleep on the plane a bit to minimize jet lag, but the key word there is attempt. I think taking a book actually sounds like a pretty good idea, thank you for that. Unfortunately I'll be sitting in the middle row of the plane, so looking out the windows isn't much of an option. :c Oh, and I think the Exhibition sounds really interesting too! I was kinda iffy on the idea at first, like "what if I fall? Walking in the dark is scary D:", but I got over that fast enough. I was also told there would be food at the end, and you have to eat that in the dark.

Oh, and I've definitely slept on couches that were comfortable before, and I don't really have a problem with sleeping on a couch the entire time. At least I'll remember it, lol. (also my sister has had that couch for a year and a half now it should be broken in dangit)
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #10132 on: September 06, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
I was actually going to attempt to sleep on the plane a bit to minimize jet lag, but the key word there is attempt.

Also remember to keep hydrated on the plane and (I don't know your age so I don't know if this applies) don't drink anything alcoholic.
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #10133 on: September 06, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
I was actually going to attempt to sleep on the plane a bit to minimize jet lag, but the key word there is attempt. I think taking a book actually sounds like a pretty good idea, thank you for that. Unfortunately I'll be sitting in the middle row of the plane, so looking out the windows isn't much of an option. :c Oh, and I think the Exhibition sounds really interesting too! I was kinda iffy on the idea at first, like "what if I fall? Walking in the dark is scary D:", but I got over that fast enough. I was also told there would be food at the end, and you have to eat that in the dark.

Oh, and I've definitely slept on couches that were comfortable before, and I don't really have a problem with sleeping on a couch the entire time. At least I'll remember it, lol. (also my sister has had that couch for a year and a half now it should be broken in dangit)

Wootwoot, congratulations! Going to Germany for a month was one of the single most exciting things I've done in my life. I went for a cultural exchange program, and got to stay in the small city of Marburg. Everything is awesome, bakeries are just a thing everyone accepts as being part of daily life, and everywhere around you is so much history and culture! (Especially coming from the US west coast, you'll be sure to notice how awesome it is to see things that are  hundreds of years old!)

And on the topic of couches: I don't really mind, in fact they can be very comfy. Then again, I have the amazingly uncanny ability to fall asleep anywhere, on anything.
-Stone slab in the middle of a busy city center? No problem here.
-Theatre chair during a rock And roll adaptation of Shakespear's Macbeth, complete with light show and pyrotechniques? I'm already asleep halfway through.
-Old log in the woods that has been around for God knows how long, with creepy crawlys living inside it? I'm out like a light.

Sometimes I scare myself O_o
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #10134 on: September 06, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »
I found this Yelp review of my residence hall and I'm laughing so hard because it reads like one of those "x Gothic" posts from tumblr:

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10135 on: September 06, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »
I found this Yelp review of my residence hall and I'm laughing so hard because it reads like one of those "x Gothic" posts from tumblr:

Wow that sounds crazy! You can come live with me if you want. I have room for an extra cot and we have our own bathroom.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #10136 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
Wow that sounds crazy! You can come live with me if you want. I have room for an extra cot and we have our own bathroom.

If I get any of those problems (but cockroaches especially), I'll certainly consider this offer!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10137 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »

Oh....oh no. not parkour! D:

Yesterday we got a bonus goldfish from a child's birthday party. Not happy with fish pong (like beer pong, instead of beer, it is a cup with fish and water).
Fish..pong? So...you have a goldfish now? :D I went to MONA today and they still have that art piece where its like: a white china bowl on a plain wooden chair, bowl half filled with water, giant kitchen knife in the bowl, and two goldfish that swim around...there are lots of stories and myths about whether or not the fish get fed or taken out of the bowl and put into oxygenated water after closing time....or if they just replace the fish then they die. I really don't like that exhibit, it makes me sad. Concept/aesthetic-wise it's cool...but irl....Sad goldfish just.....I cant... (I have a goldfish that we rescued from a kindergarten fishtank that had been drained and "emptied" for the long holidays...except they left a fish trapped under the grill at the bottom...so we stole took him home with us in a mug and 6 years later they are SO FAT X3 but very sociable! hahe...)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10138 on: September 07, 2015, 03:20:43 AM »

Wow, quite the adventure!  Where in Germany?  My parents leave tomorrow for 3 weeks in Germany and France, mainly Frankfurt, where my brother and his family recently moved. (He works for the US State Department, in foreign aid.)
If you haven't been on a plane before, my advice is to get some chewing gum -- it'll help equalize the pressure in your ears as you take off.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #10139 on: September 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
Fish..pong? So...you have a goldfish now?

Yup.

I have since moved it into a glass bowl and am waiting for a friend to loan us a tank.