Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411394 times)

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9420 on: August 16, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
I can relate to this so much it hurts.

(I apologize for the bad words, but the comic was too good not to share)

Spoiler:  watch out for language • show

This is all my Friends in one picture. The only thing, they barely see things in english.
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9421 on: August 16, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
While we're on the subject, Vancouver's tap water tastes freaking amazing, because the mountains are right there. Unfortunately, it's quite soft, so getting shampoo or soap out took some work.
Yes, I live in Seattle, and we went to ... Florida? once (it was a long time ago) and all I remember is being horrified by what came out of the tap :P
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9422 on: August 16, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »
Oh indeed, glacier rivers/mountain streams have the best tasting water ever. The first year I lived here I once asked, during a hike, whether the water in the mountain streams was drinkable and got pretty awesome stares out of the locals. The best I could describe it is a combination of surprise, mild insult and pity... and after a slightly too long pause a few said almost in unison: "yes", and nothing more. :D

Yeah, but you do have to watch out for stuff. Even really nice, clear water can have giardia or other parasites in it, which is thoroughly unpleasant. Better to ask and be safe rather than sorry, I always say!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #9423 on: August 16, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
Spoiler: tru story from life of haiz • show

8th grade was the start of middle school which meant that my 7th grade class converged with two others, and at the very beginning of the year there was a socializing trip to the forest and this was basically my first impression on many people. CONGRATS, SELF

Well you nailed his hair down pretty well!!

Also awesome video game music time

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9424 on: August 16, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
we have hard tap water here - not in trondheim, but in the small area where i live hahaha. it tastes delicious but unless you use a lot of conditioner, goodbye soft hair. also finding out how to wash dishes in the dishwasher without having everything covered in chalky spots afterward was a pain

Well you nailed his hair down pretty well!!
scribblehair confirmed
you'll know where to find me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #9425 on: August 16, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
But I personally found that soft water doesn't get soap off as easily as hard water, I can't really tell you why.
Soap molecules have one lipophile and one hydrophile end. There basically are three things around that the lipophile end can stick to: Greasy kinds of dirt, which makes it possible to wash them off; said minerals, which forms soap scum; and the oily coating of your skin.

My guess is that when you're done washing off the dirt (and part of your skin's coating), soft water with less contained minerals means that the soap sticking to your skin is less likely to find some minerals to stick to instead.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9426 on: August 16, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »
Here in drought ridden Southern California's a, all out water tastes like chlorine because we have to treat the heck out of it because it comes from so far away and we have to serve it to so many people.  :(  Everybody here has filtration systems for drinking water: tap water is almost as bad a pool water sometimes  :P
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #9427 on: August 16, 2015, 10:38:18 PM »
Yes, I live in Seattle, and we went to ... Florida? once (it was a long time ago) and all I remember is being horrified by what came out of the tap :P

This is a true statement when I go pretty much anywhere.

In other news, my sister is crazy and I love it. She started out the morning by convincing my brother that bears lay eggs (I once got him to believe he was born without legs, so that wasn't too hard). Then my family randomly decides to go to Mount St. Helens because we were in the area and, after all of us feeling motion sick all the way up that windy road to the view point, she procedes to run halfway up a 300+ step staircase. Shortly later, at the ape caves, she gets dad to take her underground mountain climbing through the upper cave. Just now she beat both my brother and I in a contest to see who could build the strangest thing in minecraft. She's avoided that game like the plague in the past. She also had a rant about how much she dislikes leeches.

See you all at some undetermined time in the future!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9428 on: August 17, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »
Last night I realized I was all out of watercolour paper and wool (well to be honest I have a gigantic stash of wool, just not the right colour) so today I will go on an epic quest to gather some from the wild. Wish me luck, because -

* Icelandic public transport is a joke that makes no one laugh. The only way it could get worse by now would be for them to demand you pay them money and then run alongside the bus.

* No buses go where I want to go, unless I do an unnecessary long side tour just to switch buses. Time estimate longer than just walking.

* It's still a long way to walk though. Car's not an option since someone rear-ended another car last week and the front got so smashed it needs checking. -.-

* I cooould borrow a bicycle, although the way both ways is steep uphill (don't ask me how this works, just trust me Iceland can make it happen) so it'd be walking and pushing the bike anyway. Besides bicycling is a bit dangerous with how people here drive.
Note that I'm not currently taking any criticism on my own driving skills.

* On the upside I don't actually mind walking and the weather is fine. Besides, you know, any reason to postpone having to do the dishes is good... :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9429 on: August 17, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »
Last night I realized I was all out of watercolour paper and wool (well to be honest I have a gigantic stash of wool, just not the right colour) so today I will go on an epic quest to gather some from the wild. Wish me luck, because -

* Icelandic public transport is a joke that makes no one laugh. The only way it could get worse by now would be for them to demand you pay them money and then run alongside the bus.

* No buses go where I want to go, unless I do an unnecessary long side tour just to switch buses. Time estimate longer than just walking.

* It's still a long way to walk though. Car's not an option since someone rear-ended another car last week and the front got so smashed it needs checking. -.-

* I cooould borrow a bicycle, although the way both ways is steep uphill (don't ask me how this works, just trust me Iceland can make it happen) so it'd be walking and pushing the bike anyway. Besides bicycling is a bit dangerous with how people here drive.

* On the upside I don't actually mind walking and the weather is fine. Besides, you know, any reason to postpone having to do the dishes is good... :P

What if you use the wool to make a wampa costume, then you dress up and scare the bus driver so much he passes out. Then you can drive the bus into the Wild to pick more wool and paper.

It's at times like this one really needs a crew of vikings and a longship for them to carry you in.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9430 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
What if you use the wool to make a wampa costume, then you dress up and scare the bus driver so much he passes out. Then you can drive the bus into the Wild to pick more wool and paper.

It's at times like this one really needs a crew of vikings and a longship for them to carry you in.

I don't want to scare anyone but the driver would probably just mistake me for a local sheep, check my ears for markings and deposit me to some farm. The slaughter season is at hand and I'd rather not risk it.

*poem-singing stance*

This said my mother
That I should be purchased
A ship with beautiful oars.
Sailing forth with vikings
Standing in the stern
Steering the knarr
Holding course for watercolour paper
Hewing down my foemen.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9431 on: August 17, 2015, 06:52:21 AM »
Icelandic sheep must be pretty intense.

This said my mother
That I should be purchased
A ship with beautiful oars.
Sailing forth with vikings
Standing in the stern
Steering the knarr
Holding course for watercolour paper
Hewing down my foemen.

This sounds familiar.... is it based on a kvad from Egil's saga?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:54:50 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9432 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »
Icelandic sheep must be pretty intense.

The resemblance is striking.

This sounds familiar.... is it based on a kvad from Egil's saga?

I don't always quote sagas but when I do it's always Egils saga! :D Good lad with poetry, awful temper though (I think he made this one at age 7 right after he axemurdered someone in cold blood).

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #9433 on: August 17, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »

Pfft, good luck with that. I remember everything you've told me of Icelandic transportation adventures.

At least the weather is good? ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9434 on: August 17, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
At least the weather is good? ;p

Well... it WAS good and then it probably heard me write it here on the forum, because halfway to the art shop it was like having a dam break right above your head, BOOMWATERWATEREVERYWHERE. Serves me right for forgetting that Icelandic weather gods don't forgive you for calling the weather good, ever. :-\