Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409471 times)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9300 on: August 12, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
I became quite the connoisseur of airport wifis, myself...

I just confirmed the study plan for my semester at uni that starts next week. Seems like I'm up for a whole lot of ancient history and philosophy... sdfksdfkn fdkjndfn i'm so not ready for uni, i have little to no faith in my study abilities,, i don't know what i'm doing with my life and i don't want to think about any of this because i'll just spiral into existential crisis and that's not fun for anyone.

so i'm just gonna distract myself by drawing aspects of my personality as the four elements instead

Ooooooh...ancient history, I'm also curious what you'll be studying.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9301 on: August 12, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »
I just confirmed the study plan for my semester at uni that starts next week. Seems like I'm up for a whole lot of ancient history and philosophy... sdfksdfkn fdkjndfn i'm so not ready for uni, i have little to no faith in my study abilities,, i don't know what i'm doing with my life and i don't want to think about any of this because i'll just spiral into existential crisis and that's not fun for anyone.

I can relate to the not knowing what you want to do. I changed my major two days before the course registration deadline this summer and had to repick all my classes. I still have no idea what I want to do. Everyone always asks me what I want to do with my schooling and I never know how to answer them. Mostly I just want to learn about things that interest me, and then find a way to get paid to do things I enjoy doing. How to do that? I have no idea.

I believe in you Haiz, I think you are a wonderful and talented person, and I wish you the best of luck in your next school year :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9302 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
Ooooooh...ancient history, I'm also curious what you'll be studying.
well, I'm doing a bachelor in art history, and my subjects for this semester are apparently
- Antikkens Historie - ancient history, 'antikken' meaning old greek and roman
- Antikkens Filosofi og Religion - ancient greek/roman philosophy and religion

I enjoy these subjects but I suck at learning history ://

and I know I'm not "supposed" to know what I'm doing with life yet. this time I'm gonna attempt getting a part-time job though, at least now that I have something on my CV other than "volunteer at viking market" hahaha ha
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9303 on: August 12, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
Wait. Did this just happen today? I don't remember the car being dented, just squeaking. Either way, I'm glad you're ok!

Yup, today's achievements. But you're right, it wasn't exactly in top condition to begin with...  :-\

You sort of make it sound like you just woke up on the docks in Reykjavik after a heavy night out and thought "well, I'm here now, might as well stay" :D

FUNNY FACT I know a person who moved to Iceland somewhat on that kind of a situation, only she didn't wake up in the docks.

Are you a reverse Reynir?

That's pretty much one of my number one worries right now. My car is my cat-tank and it would be seriously inconvenient if it were seriously damaged.

Possibly, and yes, the car is old and smelly and rusty but it's... it's like a member of family by now! It's managed to go up and down narrow dirt roads on mountains, it scaled a near vertical excuse-of-a-road at Hvítserkur and crossed the moon country area at the top of Snæfellsnes. My theory is that it has jeep ancestry somewhere down the line.

Given me the image of Laufey delivering a ship (in a box) to Iceland there...

One day I must do this. There'll be photos.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9304 on: August 12, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
Yup, today's achievements. But you're right, it wasn't exactly in top condition to begin with...  :-\

Ooh, my car makes weird noises, too! And in the winter the tire blew out, which was terrifying because I had never witnessed a tire blowout in person before and had no idea what was happening. Fortunately, I wasn't very far at all from my house, and we had a spare tire. Here's hoping to the health of your car, Laufey!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9305 on: August 12, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »
I became quite the connoisseur of airport wifis, myself...

so i'm just gonna distract myself by drawing aspects of my personality as the four elements instead

You don't have to stress yourself with this. University is one thing, but you can discover your true potential and hidden abilities while working - and it could take years. And you can meet many unforeseen opportunities, so for now, just enjoy being a student  :)
(And being confident and have a plan for your life at the Uni is not a guarantee that you will walk on that particular chosen path. Like... it happened to me.)

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9306 on: August 12, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
It's OK Haiz, I know how stressful all this can be, my heart goes out to you.

Spoiler: The story of how I figured my life out • show
I had (not trying to brag here) excellent grades in high school, upper level classes, and participation in scholastic societies in high school. I probably could have gotten into any school I wanted. But all of that meant squat, because I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what to do with my life. I literally had emotional  breakdowns over it. Everyone was presuring  me to figure out what to do with myself, but I never had the chance to figure out what career could make me happy. So I went to a Community College (which is basically a low-key college that costs less money, and prepares you to transfer to a 4 year University) to just take some classes and find one that clicked.

Funny story, the thing that set me on my course in life was actually a TV show. I happened to watch the American show Mad Men (a historical drama about an advertising agency in the 60s), and watching them design adds and think up cool art to go with it gave me the revelation that I wanted to be in advertising. But after a year of taking classes, I realized it was the making of the adds itself that called to me, not the marketing part, so I settled on my calling in life: Graphic Design. I am behind everyone else now, needing to stay a year longer than planned, but at least I've got it figured out, which just feels like such a relief! And it feels like all my life little signs have been leading up to this choice, like it was what I was meant to do, but just didn't realize it yet. I am loving my major so far, and couldn't be happier!

Long story short, my best advice is to keep doing what you are doing: take classes that interest you, experiment with your schedule, go new places, try new things! Putting yourself out there exposes you to more and more experiences that could have the chance to make something click inside of you: that something that's your calling. Mine came by watching a TV show, yours could come by a crazy way too! And don't let people get in your head, because nothing can force you to make a decision except YOU!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9307 on: August 12, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Ooh, my car makes weird noises, too! And in the winter the tire blew out, which was terrifying because I had never witnessed a tire blowout in person before and had no idea what was happening. Fortunately, I wasn't very far at all from my house, and we had a spare tire. Here's hoping to the health of your car, Laufey!

Funnily enough a flat tire is about the only grief I haven't had with cars. Now that I said it aloud I no doubt called Murphy but still. :D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9308 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
Awwwwww, Haiz... remember what I told you ? The next time you'll have doubts... :) *Hugs* I still believe it.
(And I fear it won't help but I'm also wondering what I'm doing with my life, so you're not late for that.)

well, I'm doing a bachelor in art history, and my subjects for this semester are apparently
- Antikkens Historie - ancient history, 'antikken' meaning old greek and roman
- Antikkens Filosofi og Religion - ancient greek/roman philosophy and religion

I enjoy these subjects but I suck at learning history ://
Haaaaaaa, roman religion was so interesting and funny to learn ! :D
Fun fact for a former historian student : I was bad at remembering all the dates. I passed all my exams the same way ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9309 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
In my three-going-on-four years at uni, I've only ever met one person who knew exactly which courses and modules they wanted to take and was confident about what they were going to do with their life - and they're an insufferable prat who never shuts up about how well their life is going now. So don't worry! I think it's quite normal not to know.
(For comparison, my modules next year involve nanochemistry, 'advanced' physical chemistry and... Absolute Beginner's Swedish. Which I signed up for on a whim, because why not. Kind-of-random module choices for everyone!)

Uh-oh -- sounds like Dr. Julian Adamsson is going to be leveling up next year.  (Probably profiting from some of the "useless" old books the Self-Insert Expedition picks up but somehow "loses" or "has to destroy due to dry rot" before they get turned in to the authorities...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #9310 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »
Funnily enough a flat tire is about the only grief I haven't had with cars. Now that I said it aloud I no doubt called Murphy but still. :D

Quick!!  Run out to your car and make sure you have everything  needed for a blowout & stranding!  Only by exhaustive preparations can you use Inverse Murph-ology to ensure you never need them.  ;D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9311 on: August 12, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
Quick!!  Run out to your car and make sure you have everything  needed for a blowout & stranding!  Only by exhaustive preparations can you use Inverse Murph-ology to ensure you never need them.  ;D

This is most best excellent advice, in more ways than one!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9312 on: August 12, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »

*throws a couple more toolkits into the trunk of her car*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9313 on: August 12, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
I'm back!! I was gone all day without internet, moving my sister into her dorm. I got her to read aRTD on the car ride; she said it was "cute!" and that she loves Puppy-fox...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9314 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
((but please rest your poor hands. and how are the compass adventures going?))

Oops I'm doubleposting but I didn't see this

My hands are rested! I think I've gone most of the places to go on the map. Also my town keeps running out of cured meat even though I have seven meat-curers... My solution to this is to go raid the outposts for cured meat, which I've had to do a lot. So that's not fun :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: