Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410786 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9075 on: August 06, 2015, 02:46:35 PM »
Oh my god, KicknRun and Piney, I just spent two hours doing these for my new favorite OCs and y'know there's actually a second questionnaire of all the fun random questions and such that I'm doing right now ;3c

YEAH, I was up another hour filling that one out last night! I actually went to sleep at 3:30 not 1:30 hahaha

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9076 on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
haaha heres just me posting more stuff i finds interestings

anyway heres a realllllllly detailed questionnaire for all your trash ocs (you might want to read the first page)

Well, that was a fun way to waste twenty minutes! :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9077 on: August 06, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Thought you guys might enjoy this lovely short animation that I found on teh interwebs! The animation is really cute, and the idea heartwarming  :D

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/397724210820048073/

D'awwwww, so cute!!!
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9078 on: August 07, 2015, 04:36:45 AM »
Hello again humans! I'm going to leave this here for you guys, since we are all just a bunch of mythology nerds.  ;)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/397724210819191356/

(It's by no means comprehensive, it just covers some interesting parts)
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9079 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »
some crossposting from tumblr:

at work yesterday I, Guardian of the Breakfast Buffet Table, meticulously refilled cheese rows on the cheese plate, making it easy to pick up single slices with a fork. I was so proud of my work and then this here guy comes, pokes at the cheese with the fork, and just taKES THE WHOLE ROW

made even more dramatic with ABBA’s “the winner takes it all” playing in the background

ANYWAY
I just delivered in my name badge and elevator key. my work here is Done

I’ve been here for over two months and I’m pretty sure I’ve leveled up a bit O:
I’ve tried to sorta live on my own, and I’ve been with the housekeepers, the public space cleaners, the receptionists, the kitchen mooks, the waiters (although I was stuck in cutlery hell the whole week)… which means I’ve taken part of almost all the hotel ecosystems, and it has been quite the ride.

here’s a list:

- I’ve become better at smiling at strangers
- smiling at smol kids is super rewarding
- you are not allowed to be hungry if you work in the kitchen
- there is so much work behind a lot of things everyone takes for granted. I know this is obvious but wow
- people will tell you how to do a thing and other people will tell you you’re doing it the wrong way. just nod and go with it
- food goes bad when you don’t eat it
- everyone starts out as Reynir at things
- communicting with people is Necessary even if it’s scary. even if you have to ask them to do things.
- people may yell at you sometimes, but it doesn’t mean they Hate You Forever, they’re probably just stressed because holy frick breakfast buffet with 1000 guests and you’re making pancakes too slow
- I’ve learnt to find dust in places I didn’t know existed
- going to the dining hall was scary at first because there were so many people you didn’t know, but after a while you’ll have met most of them at some point and you start recognizing them and even saying hello to some… going to the dining hall is still scary
- if you live at the same place as you work, your coworkers may see you in embarassing situations (like crouching under the stairs to take photos of a plant)
- everyone wants to know whether or not I have a boyfriend
- the most intimidating people are probably the nicest ones
- Anger is one of the most important qualities of a housekeeper/public space inspector. the higher you are on the ladder, the angrier you have to be
-I can, apparently, do adult things without crying

I’m sure there are more things but I think most of my recent character development is so subtle I can’t pinpoint it exactly.
I'm also feeling a lot more like msyelf today, too - having the day off and getting some proper sleep sure does good things. I'm started to feel more excited than stressed out and sad about everything! success
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9080 on: August 07, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
some crossposting from tumblr:

Congratulations Haiz! *shoves ALL the adult points at Haiz* I might be a bit younger than you but I am proud of you!

I have been thinking about doing something similar to this next summer, and now I have someone I can pester about how to turn on my strange looking oven without any buttons ;)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9081 on: August 07, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
ANYWAY
I just delivered in my name badge and elevator key. my work here is Done

I’ve been here for over two months and I’m pretty sure I’ve leveled up a bit O:
I’ve tried to sorta live on my own, and I’ve been with the housekeepers, the public space cleaners, the receptionists, the kitchen mooks, the waiters (although I was stuck in cutlery hell the whole week)… which means I’ve taken part of almost all the hotel ecosystems, and it has been quite the ride.

here’s a list:

- there is so much work behind a lot of things everyone takes for granted. I know this is obvious but wow
- people will tell you how to do a thing and other people will tell you you’re doing it the wrong way. just nod and go with it
- communicating with people is Necessary even if it’s scary. even if you have to ask them to do things.
- people may yell at you sometimes, but it doesn’t mean they Hate You Forever, they’re probably just stressed because holy frick breakfast buffet with 1000 guests and you’re making pancakes too slow
- going to the dining hall was scary at first because there were so many people you didn’t know, but after a while you’ll have met most of them at some point and you start recognizing them and even saying hello to some… going to the dining hall is still scary
- if you live at the same place as you work, your coworkers may see you in embarrassing situations (like crouching under the stairs to take photos of a plant)
- Anger is one of the most important qualities of a housekeeper/public space inspector. the higher you are on the ladder, the angrier you have to be

I’m sure there are more things but I think most of my recent character development is so subtle I can’t pinpoint it exactly.
I'm also feeling a lot more like myself today, too - having the day off and getting some proper sleep sure does good things. I'm started to feel more excited than stressed out and sad about everything! success

Wow!  What a great final episode of Haiz's Adult Adventure!  (sentimental music from an old-timey movie travelogue plays in the background.)  So much character-building!  So many great things learned!  I'm really impressed. 

This has been a delightful reality show, and I hope it gets revived next summer.  10/10; would definitely recommend.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9082 on: August 07, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
Congratulations Haiz! *shoves ALL the adult points at Haiz* I might be a bit younger than you but I am proud of you!

I have been thinking about doing something similar to this next summer, and now I have someone I can pester about how to turn on my strange looking oven without any buttons ;)
thank you for the adult points! I'm gonna spend all of them on candy
haha yes, how to turn on that stove was among the things i did NOT learn this summer.

This has been a delightful reality show, and I hope it gets revived next summer.  10/10; would definitely recommend.
ACTUALLY
my dad said he can contact the co-owner of the hotel close to Nordkapp to ask if I could possibly get a summer job there next year.......

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #9083 on: August 07, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
here’s a list:

- communicting with people is Necessary even if it’s scary. even if you have to ask them to do things.
- if you live at the same place as you work, your coworkers may see you in embarassing situations (like crouching under the stairs to take photos of a plant)

I'm also feeling a lot more like msyelf today, too - having the day off and getting some proper sleep sure does good things. I'm started to feel more excited than stressed out and sad about everything! success

Eh, some of that list could go into comfort corner as life guidance =). (No that is not a serious suggestion)
Working and especially working abroad does amazing things to one's character, I am glad you were able to make so many nice experiences!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #9084 on: August 07, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
Currently flooding AO3 with all my terrible tumblr drabbles BECAUSE WHY NOT.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:44:08 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #9085 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
Currently flooding AO3 with all my terrible tumblr drabbles BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Good grief, you weren't kidding! (about flooding AO3, that is, not about them being terrible)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #9086 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
Good grief, you weren't kidding! (about flooding AO3, that is, not about them being terrible)
sorry
not sorry

8)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9087 on: August 07, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
Eh, some of that list could go into comfort corner as life guidance =). (No that is not a serious suggestion)
Working and especially working abroad does amazing things to one's character, I am glad you were able to make so many nice experiences!

Haiz, I don't know if you'll be pleased or appalled, but I just quoted your Adult Quest post in a job interview!   :o

I do marketing communications (basically a Viking-era skald or praise-singer, only instead of praising some warlord or bishop you're doing it for a company). 

I had a phone interview an hour ago to do internal communications for an arm of Cisco Systems (big anonymous tech company) -- their Global Biz Svcs., which does all the unglamorous behind-the-scenes stuff, everything from keeping their office computers working to ordering office supplies to housekeeping, landscaping, catering, patrolling the parking lots, paying bills.... etc. 
My job would be essentially to build morale among these thousands of people (who probably feel neglected because they're not actually doing the Cool Technology Stuff that Cisco sells) by telling them about the wide range of things their colleagues do, and how crucial all those things actually are to keeping Cisco's wheels turning.  (Plus the usual employee-newsletter stuff about charity drives, new dental benefits, etc. etc.).

So when the manager asked how I'd deal with interviewing operational people who are very details-oriented and nose-to-the-grindstone, I gave her some visionary pitch stuff about using those details to paint a larger picture, all about value, pressing people's emotional buttons, etc. etc.  (Think Don Draper in "Mad Men.")

AND THEN I said, "A friend's 'daughter' [Haiz] was just telling us about 'her' experience as a summer intern at a big fancy hotel, rotating through all the departments -- and how vividly 'she' saw what each of these roles contributes to its operation; even the most unglamorous, behind-the-scenes function [like polishing cutlery or arranging cheese slices at the breakfast bar] helps contribute to a great customer experience.  And that reminds me of what you folks at Cisco's GBS group do."  Oh, I played my violin for the manager but good

The thing is, she seemed to like my drawing parallels between her group and Hotel Haiz!   :D  Points for being inspirational!

So if I get the job, Haiz, you can expect a bundle of art supplies.  Or some hand-carved runes, or a triolet in your honor, or something
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9088 on: August 07, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
Haiz, I don't know if you'll be pleased or appalled, but I just quoted your Adult Quest post in a job interview!   :o

So if I get the job, Haiz, you can expect a bundle of art supplies.  Or some hand-carved runes, or a triolet in your honor, or something.
!!!!!!!!!!
oh, I'm definitely pleased, this is so cool! I even recognize the name Cisco - yep, that's the brand of the hotel room phones they have here.

if you do indeed get the job (which I hope you do for non-selfish reasons!) I'm holding you to your promise!!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #9089 on: August 07, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
I even recognize the name Cisco - yep, that's the brand of the hotel room phones they have here.
Also the perpetuators of what, among network admins, is commonly called the Cisco SMTP F**kup ... ::)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15