Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2441770 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8925 on: August 03, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
Owl: those photos are awesome!! I approve of your activities ^_____^ I hope we get to see the unicorn some day!!

... I wish I had a photo of that time we visited our old house up north and dad had to dig out his old snow scooter from beneath a metre of snow

Since I was the only one who could not understand Norwegian, the guide asked if it’s okay to talk in English, and everybody said yes. I mean elderly people too. It would be impossible in Hungary; I nearly cried. I should have recorded the scene and sent it to our state secretary for education at the ministry - this is what happens if you spend money on education...
aaa looks like you're having a great time!
on english, I'm not so sure if it's really so much education as it is scandinavia having a lot of stuff in english. We don't dub anything on TV (except for kid's stuff), for example. Plus the languages being somewhat similar.
... but yeah spending money on education is definitely a thing they should do. It's true that we (in norway at least) learn english from a very young age.
you'll know where to find me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8926 on: August 03, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »
And a typical medical-test vial contains 10 ml, whereas a pint = 450 ml.  So yeah, I can totally believe they took 20 vials of blood; that's less than half the amount of a typical donation. 

It's concerning that your doctors think they need so many samples to test.  But I suppose in the long run it's a good thing, if they really want to be thorough about diagnosing and addressing whatever has been troubling you.
There apparently are standardized suites of blood tests where a number of vials with color-coded caps are filled and then put into different analyzer devices (so, say, the blue vial goes to determining the oxygenization percentage, the green the iron content, yet another provides the standard chemical analysis, yadda yadda). Which I've seen to contain six, eight, maybe ten vials. Twenty sounds ... thorough.

Still short of a donation unit, of course, but then again, you go to donation when you feel healthy but have a blood test done when ... not quite so. ::)

When we have snow in France, it's a few centimeters, and when I have a few centimeters I'm really happy to simply walk and hear this special sound. So yes, give me some snow, it's 35°C and near to the sea with flamingos (O_o) but who cares ? ^^
Any chance that you forgot that France extends a ways into the Alps as well, with ski resorts like Isola 2000? ;)

Pro tip: Don't just trust your snowshodtired German car to get you back from the French Riviera in winter. When there's a cm or so of snow there, the police actually shuts down les autoroutes to prevent accidents. Which forces everyone who insists on going to use la Route Napoléon or other départementales which they cannot cordon off and offer such nice vistas ... especially straight down ... but I digress. :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #8927 on: August 03, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Note to self, never leave for a week again.
I've missed so much interesting stuff and even a new page, somehow.
bleh

RC1138

• In Soviet Russia clones uses Pallpatin!!!
« Reply #8928 on: August 03, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »
Help n00b. What is this topic?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8929 on: August 03, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »

Oh, padawan.  8) General Discussion is whatever you want to make it.  It is by far the largest and most popular thread here because you never know where it'll take you.

Are you looking for something specific?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

« Reply #8930 on: August 03, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
"General" as in "whatever topic we meander into", not as in "General Skywalker". ;)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RC1138

« Reply #8931 on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
So is that some kind of chat?
OK, got it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:17:19 PM by RC1138 »

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #8932 on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
Well, it's more of a forum for whatever the hell we feel like talking about (eg: your confusion).
However, we do have an IRC chat channel at #ssss on the Quakenet network- I'd recommend an IRC client such as HexChat should you want to access it.

JoB

« Reply #8933 on: August 03, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
We don't call it that because there are actual SSSS chats, but yes, sorta-kinda.

RC1138

« Reply #8934 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
No, i mean, that "topic without any theme of disscusion, only free talking about everything".
Uhh... hecking google...

mamioja

• Just another labrat
« Reply #8935 on: August 03, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
There apparently are standardized suites of blood tests where a number of vials with color-coded caps are filled and then put into different analyzer devices (so, say, the blue vial goes to determining the oxygenization percentage, the green the iron content, yet another provides the standard chemical analysis, yadda yadda). Which I've seen to contain six, eight, maybe ten vials. Twenty sounds ... thorough.

Colour codes in blood sample vials help identify samples for different purposes.
Some laboratory rant following, so it will go under spoiler

Spoiler: show

I do not take bloodsamples in my current work, but some facts I remember from past / have managed to pick up because of occupational reasons.

The colours are not universal, but may vary by manufacturer.

Some vials are used for whole blood tests (t.ex. haemoglobin) and contain a substance to stop red bloodcell coagulation. Others are for serum tests and contain a substance (a different one for different purposes) to activate coagulation to ensure all red boodcells  are  easily removed from sample.

Sometimes there is a gel one can perceive inside the vial, but mostly the substance is thinly sprayed to the inside walls of the vial. So they are not as empty as they seem.

Sometimes it is neccessary to take blood to more than one vial of the same kind, too. Not because a lot of sample is needed, but because the vial needs to be sent to another place for analysis. Opening the vial and dividing the sample is not only extra work, but could result in contaminating the sample. Taking an "extra" vial is thus a better option.

The amounts of blood needed for analysis is not a lot and most vials are not filled more than 1-3 ml (in Finland at least) so blood loss is not too great if the patient is not highly anemic for starters. This does not ensure the patient does not feel dizzy or weak and his/her feelings should not be belittled.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:30:46 PM by mamioja »
When life gives you scraps make a quilt

survival :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:

Fluent in :finland: :uk:
Can get by :sweden:
Lost in time :germany:  :france:  :spain:  :russia:

Lived in :canada: :finland: :australia:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8936 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »
No, i mean, that "topic without any theme of disscusion, only free talking about everything".
Uhh... hecking google...

Yep, you have permission to speak freely, soldier.  (Except being nasty, insulting, spammy, or violating U.S. copyright laws beyond the usual exemptions for humor, commentary, or scholarship -- here and throughout the Forum.  If your content is disturbing -- e.g. for bloodshed or adult situations -- we ask that you put it under a spoiler.  In fact, re: nudity and sexuality, we ask posters not to exceed the standard set in Minna's comic.  The Forum software auto-censors 4-letter words and other strong curses.)

As one of the Forum's moderators, I'm aware we're not always super-clear on our content standards, so this is a good chance to state them. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #8937 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Owl
Snow Cat is Most Best!   :D

Haiz
The Snow Groke sounds awesome (yay Moomins!).  :)

Daea,
My dream is to build Snow Goons as depicted in Calvin and Hobbes;D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8938 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »

YES DO THIS PLEASE

then show us pictures
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8939 on: August 03, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »
Haiz[/b],
The Snow Groke sounds awesome (yay Moomins!).  :)

Daea,
the groke was pretty awesome, I wish I had pictures... I know that the next year, someone made a huge calvin and hobbes-esque monstrosity. also for the kids. ketchup was involved
you'll know where to find me.